• You cannot reply to this topic

Handviewer

#61 User is offline   G_R__E_G 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-February-21, 10:49

babalu1997, on Feb 21 2009, 10:53 AM, said:

G_R__E_G, on Feb 18 2009, 10:05 AM, said:

I've completed a new version of my Hand Creator.  It now does everything.  Bid explanations go to the right of bids, the annotations go underneath.

I have not put any protection on, so you'll need to be careful what you erase.

In the near future I'm planning on only allowing access to the cells that the user needs access to and I'm also thinking about changing how the auction and play gets entered (something more user friendly).  I'm not sure when I'll get to these changes.

Enjoy!

Hand Creator

PS  I'm always open to any suggestions for changes.

Hello Greg

A stupid question here-- i tried downloading the file and it complains abitu security level and asks that i get some kind of certificate.

How can i waivr this to translate the hand viewer.

thanks

You must be on Vista which I'm not overly familiar with. You should be able to view the certificate and it should let you continue after that. Hopefully some Vista experts can be a little more helpful.
Visit my club website www.midlanddbc.com

#62 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-February-21, 12:19

Greg,

I don't want to discourage you from the work you are doing, but I thought you should know that the next version of the BBO web-client will contain a graphical authoring tool for creating Handviewer links with appropriate parameters (including annotations).

It will also allow the user to convert any movie of a completed deal to a Handviewer link, to send these links to other members as BBO mail, etc...

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#63 User is offline   G_R__E_G 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-23, 13:15

fred, on Feb 21 2009, 01:19 PM, said:

Greg,

I don't want to discourage you from the work you are doing, but I thought you should know that the next version of the BBO web-client will contain a graphical authoring tool for creating Handviewer links with appropriate parameters (including annotations).

It will also allow the user to convert any movie of a completed deal to a Handviewer link, to send these links to other members as BBO mail, etc...

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

No worries Fred - I haven't invested much time in it. I'm looking forward to the future release.

#64 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-April-01, 07:21

For the wishlist ...

Hide/show auction or let user step thru auction -- I would use this feature a lot to work out possible auctions and compare with actuals.

Let users tag and save to local my favorites or global favorites (like starring in Chrome and google groups). Would love to see commentators' favorites from big tournaments, like the hand Roland recently posted from the Vanderbilt and Philip Alder 'reposted' to the NY Times.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#65 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2009-April-09, 04:59

I see that handviewer has GIB now. Nice.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#66 User is offline   A2003 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-April-09, 08:47

Suggestion:
Suggest to add last update date and time to the hand viewer documentation.
That way it is clear that this is the latest document.

Handviewer Documents

#67 User is offline   A2003 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-April-10, 19:03

This is cool!. I was able to send this thru email.
Is it normal, when I include the comments with in {.…...}, it converts all the spaces to "%20".

Another bridge hand

I have the entire hand play included in this, but for some reason it is not showing up in this thread.
But it shows up when I cut and paste in the web address.

#68 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-April-10, 21:27

%20 is the proper way to represent spaces in URLs.

#69 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2009-April-11, 09:00

A2003, on Apr 10 2009, 08:03 PM, said:

Is it normal, when I include the comments with in {.…...}, it converts all the spaces to "%20".

Another bridge hand

I have the entire hand play included in this, but for some reason it is not showing up in this thread.

I think there's a bug in the forum software's word wrap function that's putting an unwanted end of line character in your embedded link which causes hand viewer to gag. When I quote your post and click on the embedded link in <Preview Post> I can step through the play.

Congrats to you and your team mates btw. :)

#70 User is offline   A2003 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-April-11, 10:15

y66, on Apr 11 2009, 10:00 AM, said:

A2003, on Apr 10 2009, 08:03 PM, said:

Another bridge hand

I think there's a bug in the forum software's word wrap function that's putting an unwanted end of line character in your embedded link which causes hand viewer to gag. When I quote your post and click on the embedded link in <Preview Post> I can step through the play.

Congrats to you and your team mates btw. :)

I see that.
when I quote the message, it works in the "Preview Post" mode, when I post the message, it does not work in the forum.

#71 User is offline   nigulh 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2009-April-14, 09:53

I recently found handviewer is a great tool for including bridge diagrams in my blog. However, now I have about 10 hands and 1 full deal in the main page, it takes about 45 seconds to reload the main page. So my problem is that: Handviewer is slow!

How to solve that problem? Is there any way to cache non-interactive handviewer images just like real images are cached? Or maybe it should be possible to get "real" images from handviewer? (I am not talking about interactive deals, where you show the full deal).

Finally a request: There could be a '?' bid available to create bidding problems.

#72 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-April-15, 11:42

nigulh, on Apr 14 2009, 03:53 PM, said:

I recently found handviewer is a great tool for including bridge diagrams in my blog. However, now I have about 10 hands and 1 full deal in the main page, it takes about 45 seconds to reload the main page. So my problem is that: Handviewer is slow!

How to solve that problem? Is there any way to cache non-interactive handviewer images just like real images are cached? Or maybe it should be possible to get "real" images from handviewer? (I am not talking about interactive deals, where you show the full deal).

Finally a request: There could be a '?' bid available to create bidding problems.

Hi Nigel,

I am not sure what (if anything) I can do about the speed. Can you let me know the URL for your blog and I will check it out?

The ? thing should work. Just make it the character of the a parameter. Let me know if you run into trouble.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#73 User is offline   nigulh 

• PipPip

Posted 2009-April-16, 10:23

Thank you, Fred, for your answer.

Unfortunately I dont see any question mark if i click this link at http://www.bridgebas...html?a=1s2hp?2s

Now, there is no question mark between Pass and 2&spades; (deleting 2&spades; does not put the "?" for last bid either).

My blog is at uperkuut (in Estonian). Recently some posts do not use handviewer any more, but previous ones do.

I am sure something can be done to improve the speed issue (but it might require a lot of work, so not worth it). As I don't know the inner world of handviewer, i cannot tell, what is practical, what not. Also, I have no idea, why and where this 3-4 seconds per handviewer request is spent.

My idea:
Output .jpg image instead of flash for non-interactive requests. So browsers can cahce it, and reloading is (much) faster. (This is good whenever "inline" tag is used with height and width specified anyway. The height and width can be part of the image URL).

#74 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-April-16, 10:35

nigulh, on Apr 16 2009, 04:23 PM, said:

Thank you, Fred, for your answer.

Unfortunately I dont see any question mark if i click this link at http://www.bridgebas...html?a=1s2hp?2s

Now, there is no question mark between Pass and 2&spades; (deleting 2&spades; does not put the "?" for last bid either).

My blog is at uperkuut (in Estonian). Recently some posts do not use handviewer any more, but previous ones do.

I am sure something can be done to improve the speed issue (but it might require a lot of work, so not worth it). As I don't know the inner world of handviewer, i cannot tell, what is practical, what not. Also, I have no idea, why and where this 3-4 seconds per handviewer request is spent.

My idea:
Output .jpg image instead of flash for non-interactive requests. So browsers can cahce it, and reloading is (much) faster. (This is good whenever "inline" tag is used with height and width specified anyway. The height and width can be part of the image URL).

The page loads very quickly for me, Nigul, but I am using a fast PC and a fast Internet connection (and Internet Explorer though I doubt this matters). Is it possible the problem is related to your PC or your connection? Do you know for sure that other people are experiencing the same problem?

About the ? thing, it works but the Forums software strips the ? at the end of the URL. Maybe your blog authoring software does something similar?

Output to an image file is a nice idea and probably there are programs that exist that do all the hard work (so that I won't have to write my own program). At some point I will invesigate, but this may not happen for a while.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#75 User is offline   nigulh 

• PipPip

Posted 2009-April-16, 11:33

My computer is 2.2GHz, and internet speed is 1Mbit/s. Loading of http://uperkuut.blogspot.com takes right now about 40 seconds. And most of the time is due to handviewer. Loading a single post without handviwer images takes 3 seconds, with 4 handviewer images takes 20 seconds.

And speed issue is not only my problem. My friends (in Estonia) are experiencing the same problem.

The ? problem is not a forum problem (for me), as I can type the URL into browser address line directly. Could you post a working link including auction with "?" (or describe how to modify the link to get it working, if forum eats some symbols)?

#76 User is offline   G_R__E_G 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-April-16, 11:41

nigulh, on Apr 16 2009, 12:33 PM, said:

My computer is 2.2GHz, and internet speed is 1Mbit/s. Loading of http://uperkuut.blogspot.com takes right now about 40 seconds. And most of the time is due to handviewer. Loading a single post without handviwer images takes 3 seconds, with 4 handviewer images takes 20 seconds.

And speed issue is not only my problem. My friends (in Estonia) are experiencing the same problem.

The ? problem is not a forum problem (for me), as I can type the URL into browser address line directly. Could you post a working link including auction with "?" (or describe how to modify the link to get it working, if forum eats some symbols)?

I've tried loading that page several times and it took 3-4 seconds each time. That's on a not particularly fast PC but an extremely fast internet connection.

#77 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-April-16, 12:03

nigulh, on Apr 16 2009, 05:33 PM, said:

It does appear that I broke something that stopped ?s from appearing in my most recent version. I will fix this, but it may not be convenient to upload a fixed version for a while. Sorry about this inconvenience. When it does get fixed, your ?s will appear automatically without you having to do anything.

I don't understand why you are having speed troubles. If you have not done so already, please try using Internet Explorer and make sure that caching in enabled.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#78 User is offline   nigulh 

• PipPip

Posted 2009-April-17, 13:01

I think I found why my handiviewer is so slow -- its my AntiVirus software, which is searching for viruses in Internet links. I am really sorry for creating trouble in this forum.

PS. I also found, that with Opera 7.10 under Windows, handviewer image does not fit into the <inframe> frame, if ?s= option is used (possibly other combinations as well) -> this causes a vertical scroll-bar to be displayed in the bottom of handviewer image. But if only ?a= is used, then it is ok.

#79 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-April-17, 13:30

nigulh, on Apr 17 2009, 07:01 PM, said:

I think I found why my handiviewer is so slow -- its my AntiVirus software, which is searching for viruses in Internet links. I am really sorry for creating trouble in this forum.

PS. I also found, that with Opera 7.10 under Windows, handviewer image does not fit into the <inframe> frame, if ?s= option is used (possibly other combinations as well) -> this causes a vertical scroll-bar to be displayed in the bottom of handviewer image. But if only ?a= is used, then it is ok.

Thanks for the good news. No need to apologize.

About the problem you found, I don't have easy access to Opera, but if you can me a screenshot by e-mail (fred@bridgebase.com) which illustrates the problem, I will see what I can do about fixing it in the next version.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#80 User is offline   nigulh 

• PipPip

Posted 2009-April-18, 11:18

The screenshot is
here.

Opera is a free software and available at Opera webpage. If developing web application, I suggest testing it not only with IE7, but also IE6, IE5, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera and possibly other common web browsers :ph34r: Each browser has its nuances, how it interprets Javascript etc.

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users