BBO Discussion Forums: Client versus Browser - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Client versus Browser Which BBO access method is preferred?

#1 User is offline   aniko2 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2009-December-25, 18:49

Hi,

Tonight, I discovered that my partner and I were using different mechanisms to access BBO. This had been the source of much confusion, i.e.

"just push the button!"
"I don't see that button"

I use the web interface. I'm guessing that the web interface will be the source of future BBO development, and that the client software will eventually be deprecated. Thus, my partner should start accessing the web interface directly.

Is this valid reasoning? Are there good reasons to use one interface versus the other?

Thanks,

Anne

#2 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-December-25, 19:39

Hi Anne,

when the web interface started, there were a lot of reasons not to use it, though for basic playing and kibbing it has always been suitable, and the number of reasons decreased with every new version.

Today, there is not much left where the windows interface is better or has features that are not available in the web interface. Here are some:
  • Your chat is saved to your local disk.
  • The hands you play are saved to your local disk (they are saved in the web, too, no matter what interface you use)
  • You can chat to lobby, but only few people will hear you, as most have lobby chat disabled
  • The list of kibitzers at your table is accessible more easily
  • Some lists update automatically, while you have to click a button for the same list to update in the web interface
  • Player's profiles are always displayed without delay
  • you have the option to use GIB's double dummy analysis when kibbing
  • There is a library, chat rooms and a lecture hall

On the other hand, there are a lot of features and advantages exclusively located in the web interface. One of the main advantages of the web interface for BBO is that it generates much less internet traffic than the windows interface.

Karl

#3 User is offline   aniko2 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2009-December-25, 20:48

Karl,

Thank you for such a complete and well considered answer. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Anne.

#4 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-December-26, 09:26

aniko2, on Dec 26 2009, 12:49 AM, said:

I use the web interface.  I'm guessing that the web interface will be the source of future BBO development, and that the client software will eventually be deprecated. Thus, my partner should start accessing the web interface directly.

Hi Anne,

That was a good guess.

Our current position is this:

- We are not actively involved in improving the Windows client in any way.
- We are heavily involved in improving the web-client in many ways.
- We are hoping that we never have to release another new version of the Windows client.
- It is not clear how realistic this hope is.
- As the number of people logged in to BBO increases, the performance of the Windows client decreases. At some point it will become unusable. We don't know the location of this point. I am guessing that, for most PCs at least, we are not very close to it.
- We have no plans to retire the Windows client.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#5 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2009-December-26, 13:03

At the moment, I still very much prefer the Windows client rather than the web browser, for the following reasons.

1) I have still not got used to navigating around the web browser.
2) The chat function seems much more user friendly on the windows client.
3) I like the hover function which allows you to see a user's profile
4) It seems easier to review previous hands in the Windows client.

I must admit, at the moment I would prefer to be able to stick with the Windows client.

Regards

Mark

#6 User is online   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-26, 13:22

As always, it depends, what you want to do, but if you want to use
the GIB in the partnership bidding room, they are free for Web, and
you have to pay in the win version.

But you can open a table with the Web, activate the GIB, and your
partner can use the Win, logging your hands.
You can log your hands in the Web version as well, but you need to
explicitly safe the Movie, the Win does the safe automatically, if
you have activated the mechanism, since I am lazy, ... it will take
lots of features to convince me to switch, but than I am a late adopter
anyway.

So there are even reason to use a mix .-)

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#7 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-26, 14:15

mr1303, on Dec 26 2009, 07:03 PM, said:

3) I like the hover function which allows you to see a user's profile

There is an option for this in the web-client. Click the blue "Options" button at the top of the screen, then "More options" in the menu that appears, then "Advanced options" in the window that appears. Then check "Show profile on mouse over".

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#8 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-26, 16:04

The major thing I am missing on the web client that I can do on the PC is the ability to play with a live partner vs. 2 GiBs. Is there a way to do this that I haven't been able to find, or will you be adding the feature at some point?

#9 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-26, 16:20

If the flash client was packaged so it could be run outside of the browser, I'd be more inclined to use it, but I really hate how it ties my BBO session to my browser session. Browsers tend to crash....and I can't accept that taking my BBO session with it.

#10 User is offline   A2003 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-26, 17:55

Web version is good for Vugraph watching. You can open many tables and watch all in the same time. Windows version, You can watch only one table.

#11 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-26, 17:59

mr1303, on Dec 26 2009, 02:03 PM, said:

4) It seems easier to review previous hands in the Windows client.

I like reviewing hands in the Web client because they can in the same window as the current hand. I find that more convenient that switching windows.

#12 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-26, 18:40

Stephen Tu, on Dec 26 2009, 10:04 PM, said:

The major thing I am missing on the web client that I can do on the PC is the ability to play with a live partner vs. 2 GiBs.   Is there a way to do this that I haven't been able to find, or will you be adding the feature at some point?

You can do this already. We tried to make it easier than the corresponding operation in the Windows client. Sorry that apparently we didn't succeed in your case.

If you start a table and sit (in the Main Bridge Club for example), you should see buttons that say "Click for robot" on each of the other 3 seats. If you have already payed to rent robots (1 BB$ per week I think), clicking one of these buttons will result in a robot being placed in the appropriate seat. If you have not already payed to rent robots, clicking one of these buttons will take you through the rental process.

If you want to play with a partner then I suggest you reserve the seat opposite your seat for him/her.

It might be smart to make your table invisible while you figure this out for the first time, especially if you have not already rented robots. In this way nobody will bother you while you are getting set up. Once everything is set up you can click the "Table" button (below the table itself) to edit table properties in order to make the table visible. You actually don't need to make the table visible since reserving a seat for your partner will make the table visible for him/her.

If you run into problems, please post the details and I will try to help.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#13 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-26, 19:46

Thanks, I see now. I didn't see the "click for robot" buttons before since they don't appear until you actually sit down yourself. I was trying to set up the table beforehand with 3 seats reserved for partner & robots as one can do on the Windows client, but didn't actually sit down myself since I was trying to seat the robots first. Kept on looking for robot buttons before giving up & firing up the windows version since my partner was waiting.

It's arguable from a UI programming angle that the buttons shouldn't appear/disappear in the same area, that there should just be two buttons "click to sit" with "click for robot" next to it for the table host.

#14 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-27, 05:04

fred, on Dec 26 2009, 05:26 PM, said:

aniko2, on Dec 26 2009, 12:49 AM, said:

I use the web interface.  I'm guessing that the web interface will be the source of future BBO development, and that the client software will eventually be deprecated. Thus, my partner should start accessing the web interface directly.

Hi Anne,

That was a good guess.

Our current position is this:

- We are not actively involved in improving the Windows client in any way.
- We are heavily involved in improving the web-client in many ways.
- We are hoping that we never have to release another new version of the Windows client.
- It is not clear how realistic this hope is.
- As the number of people logged in to BBO increases, the performance of the Windows client decreases. At some point it will become unusable. We don't know the location of this point. I am guessing that, for most PCs at least, we are not very close to it.
- We have no plans to retire the Windows client.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

The windows client would not be required if it gives same functionality as the Web client. What is the reason for the difference (Technical difficulty to implement function in the web client OR another choose of the way the go)?
I use the windows client because I prefer that my hands are saved on my PC for easy access for later review...and I guess that the reason that this isn't foreseen in the Webclient is that it is more difficult to access the PC in the Web-client?

#15 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-27, 10:58

kgr, on Dec 27 2009, 11:04 AM, said:

The windows client would not be required if it gives same functionality as the Web client. What is the reason for the difference (Technical difficulty to implement function in the web client OR another choose of the way the go)?

There are some functions in the Windows client that would be technically difficult to implement in the web-client. There are some functions in the Windows client that we have intentionally not implementing in the web-client, either because we think that such functions were "mistakes" or because we have decided that working on other aspects of the web-client should be higher-priority. There are some aspects of the Windows client that are not included in the web-client because they are not scalable - they won't work at all once the number of people logged in to BBO reaches a certain number.

Meanwhile, there are a lot of functions in the web-client that are not available in the Windows client and several areas of the web-client that we think are much better than the corresponding areas in the Windows client. This is because we try to learn from our mistakes, listen to feedback from our members (especially new members), and also because more people, time, and thought went into the web-client design.

I use the windows client because I prefer that my hands are saved on my PC for easy access for later review...and I guess that the reason that this isn't foreseen in the Webclient is that it is more difficult to access the PC in the Web-client?

That is correct. For now the "myhands" site is the only option web-client users have if they want to save copies of their hands locally. At some point we might try harder to address this issue, but for technical reasons it will probably never work quite as smoothly as it does in the Windows client.

Note that it is also possible to review hands you have played through the web-client itself (My BBO, Hands and results, Recent hands).

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#16 User is offline   LionHeart1 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-27, 12:23

Hi,
I am not only a player but a TD and so I use the Director function of BBO, too. I found that there is a function missing in the web version and another one differing from client version.

The missing function of the web version is to manage the membership of a private or public club.

The differing function is to create a tourney with a participant list saved on my PC. I know that there is a difference between running a downloaded program and using an application running under a browser, but there must be a solution to upload or import a name list from a file on my PC. Now I should type the names one by one, this is acceptable if there are some 10 names, but in case of several 100 names it is impracticable.
And one more thing, perhaps this is a bug, if I create a tourney and later I want to modify it in the web version, the date and time for the tourney is the actual date and time, not the real date and time of the tourney.
Best regards
Zoltan

#17 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-27, 13:53

LionHeart1, on Dec 27 2009, 06:23 PM, said:

The missing function of the web version is to manage the membership of a private or public club.

Yes, this is missing. Adding this functionality to the web-client is not high on our list of priorities. When we first started BBO, the notion of private and public clubs seemed to be a good idea, but it hasn't worked out that way for a variety of reasons. I am not sure what long term future (if any) there is on our site for these clubs, but given that almost all existing clubs are either not used or misused, this is not something we rate to spend a lot of time on in the near future.

The differing function is to create a tourney with a participant list saved on my PC. I know that there is a difference between running a downloaded program and using an application running under a browser, but there must be a solution to upload or import a name list from a file on my PC. Now I should type the names one by one, this is acceptable if there are some 10 names, but in case of several 100 names it is impracticable.

Well you did type them all in one by one in the Windows client :)

If you send me your include/exclude list(s) by e-mail (fred@bridgebase.com) and let me know the user ID that you use for TDing, I *might* be able to arrange to have these loaded into the database that handles this function for the web-client. I can't make any promises about being able to do this for sure (or being able to do it immediately).

And one more thing, perhaps this is a bug, if I create a tourney and later I want to modify it in the web version, the date and time for the tourney is the actual date and time, not the real date and time of the tourney.

The date and time that the web-client displays is always expressed in your own time zone. I am not sure if this explains the issue you raise. If you still think there is a problem, let me know and I will investigate and fix if appropriate.

Thanks for your comments, Zoltan. We have made a serious effort to make the TDing experience better in the web-client. Getting feedback from TDs is helpful and appreciated.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#18 User is offline   LionHeart1 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-28, 02:34

fred, on Dec 27 2009, 02:53 PM, said:

LionHeart1, on Dec 27 2009, 06:23 PM, said:

Yes, this is missing. Adding this functionality to the web-client is not high on our list of priorities. When we first started BBO, the notion of private and public clubs seemed to be a good idea, but it hasn't worked out that way for a variety of reasons. I am not sure what long term future (if any) there is on our site for these clubs, but given that almost all existing clubs are either not used or misused, this is not something we rate to spend a lot of time on in the near future.

Well you did type them all in one by one in the Windows client :wacko:

If you send me your include/exclude list(s) by e-mail (fred@bridgebase.com) and let me know the user ID that you use for TDing, I *might* be able to arrange to have these loaded into the database that handles this function for the web-client. I can't make any promises about being able to do this for sure (or being able to do it immediately).

The date and time that the web-client displays is always expressed in your own time zone. I am not sure if this explains the issue you raise. If you still think there is a problem, let me know and I will investigate and fix if appropriate.

Thanks for your comments, Zoltan. We have made a serious effort to make the TDing experience better in the web-client. Getting feedback from TDs is helpful and appreciated.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

I mean, when I modify a tourney, the current date and time will be shown instead of the date and time of the tourney.

Zoltan

#19 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-28, 11:30

LionHeart1, on Dec 28 2009, 08:34 AM, said:

I mean, when I modify a tourney, the current date and time will be shown instead of the date and time of the tourney.

Thanks for clarifying. This will be fixed in the next version (likely coming soon).

In the mean time you can get the correct time/date to display by adding and then subtracting a minute from the starting time.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#20 User is offline   chicken 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-29, 06:33

following this thread i just made my own little tries to decide if it is worth switching.
i didnt manage to upload hands from a directory on my harddidk to a teaching table, a function one definately needs if using bbo to teach (i use it for online and reallife tuition) i think.
only possible upload was from my favorite hands a folder which obviously was empty. did i do something wrong?
Kom kit´cha vangar´th, kin patakh´ch vananch, pargh?

If it´s not important to win, tell me, why do they keep records?

(Barcht, Captain of Nir`ch Tyse´th, Klingon Warship)

www.bridgeball.de

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users