• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

German concession mid-segment

#1 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-October-15, 04:32

Quite incredibly, after going for 1100, 1400 and 1400 on consecutive boards, the Germans abandoned their semi-final versus England mid-segment. I have never seen such poor sportsmanship in bridge. What should the penalty be?
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#2 User is offline   nickf 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2008-October-15, 04:39

mrdct, on Oct 15 2008, 08:32 PM, said:

Quite incredibly, after going for 1100, 1400 and 1400 on consecutive boards, the Germans abandoned their semi-final versus England mid-segment.  I have never seen such poor sportsmanship in bridge.  What should the penalty be?

I think they should be forced to attend the Victory Dinner with t-shirts bearing the slogan "I voted for Angela Merkel".

nickf
sydney

#3 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2008-October-15, 05:09

Why is it bad sportsmanship? I would say that, if anything, it is bad sportsmanship to continue playing in a hopeless position. Even when you are a lot up, it is still tiring to continue concentrating and you might think that forcing England to play on, while Italy are having an early night, would be unfair on England.

Conceding mid-segment is unusual, but only because there's always the chance that teammates have done something spectacular.

My guess from the (lack of) swangames running scores is that Norway conceded against Italy before the last segment started. Is that also bad sportsmanship?

#4 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2008-October-15, 05:16

FrancesHinden, on Oct 15 2008, 01:09 PM, said:

Why is it bad sportsmanship?

It's bad sportsmanship because once you decide to sit down to play, you are committed to playing the full set and not leave the room in disgust! You are obviously entitled to forfeit due to a medical condition, but that was not the case.

Please note that Norway conceded after a session. That is completely different.

Roland
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#5 User is offline   KiwiBridge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-October-15, 05:23

Ban them for 50 years plus a substantial fine.

#6 User is offline   Bosi2 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2008-October-15, 05:24

I think its has to do with lack of respect, for the sport, opps and all the people that are following the game, my suggestion is to ban the pair for some time.

#7 User is offline   ajm218 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2008-October-15, 05:27

Ask the England players - surely they are far happier with the concession midway and an earlier night than having to play an additional 10 pointless boards...?

#8 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2008-October-15, 05:28

mrdct, on Oct 15 2008, 12:32 PM, said:

Quite incredibly, after going for 1100, 1400 and 1400 on consecutive boards, the Germans abandoned their semi-final versus England mid-segment.  I have never seen such poor sportsmanship in bridge.  What should the penalty be?

Their daughters should be turned over to me.

May seem a little harsh to those who know me, but they deserve it.

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

#9 User is offline   iznogood 

• Pip

Posted 2008-October-15, 05:28

althought usually i am a german fan in most sports i think the wbf should ban germany from the next bermuda bowl (they qualified for it beeing 2nd of the european championship in Pau)

#10 User is offline   dicklont 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, music, sports

Posted 2008-October-15, 05:30

ajm218, on Oct 15 2008, 06:27 AM, said:

Ask the England players - surely they are far happier with the concession midway  and an earlier night than having to play an additional 10 pointless boards...?

I don't know.
This kind of unusual stuff can distort their flow.
Playing 10 more boards is no problem when things are going your way.
--
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)

#11 User is offline   ajm218 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2008-October-15, 05:31

Does anyone know the rule on concessions? Is there one that allows the Norwegians to conceed at the end of a stanza but the Germans not to midway through a stanza?

#12 User is offline   geller 

• PipPipPipPip

I take a less extreme position. It's obviously bad sportsmanship to walk away without saying anything, but (depending on the score before the 3 disasters) it might be appropropriate to stop play for a minute and call the director and respective NPCs and if all agree then concede the match.

Of course in the future let's hope sponsorship takes off so that the match has to be played through to the end for commercial reasons. :-)

#13 User is offline   charles_l 

• Pip

ajm218, on Oct 15 2008, 06:27 AM, said:

Ask the England players - surely they are far happier with the concession midway and an earlier night than having to play an additional 10 pointless boards...?

Italy earned the extra rest by beating Norway soundly. i think the walkout is unsporting.

#14 User is offline   skjaeran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2008-October-15, 05:32

iznogood, on Oct 15 2008, 01:28 PM, said:

althought usually i am a german fan in most sports i think the wbf should ban germany from the next bermuda bowl (they qualified for it beeing 2nd of the european championship in Pau)

I disagree. They should ban the two players involved from international play for a very long time. But not do anything at all with the rest of the German team, in Beijing now or next years Bermuda Bowl.
Kind regards,
Harald

#15 User is offline   charles_l 

• Pip

Posted 2008-October-15, 05:36

agree, i think the players are at fault, not the nation. banning the players may be a solution, provided there are regulations against abandonment. however, i don't think the country should be penalised - IIRC the German NPC attempted to restart play.

#16 User is offline   sharp01 

• Pip

Posted 2008-October-15, 05:38

Fatigue and stress are a medical condition like straining a muscle for a tennis player. I find much more "disgusting" Norway conceding cold blooded (world and european reigning champions... THEY have to set up standards). Germany played a terrific tournment and they should not be judged for 2 minutes of folly. Anyway i am sure, as someone else has already said, that both Italy and England appreciated...

#17 User is offline   HedyG 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2008-October-15, 05:50

2 minutes of folly? you have obviously not watched the match

#18 User is offline   sharp01 

• Pip

Posted 2008-October-15, 05:52

I am talking about the reaction of quitting as "2 minutes of folly"... the 800' and the 1400's are on the score sheet, therefore are part of the game.

#19 User is offline   42 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, Tango Argentino, bridge, cooking, languages, etc. :)

Posted 2008-October-15, 05:54

Does anybody know the particular circumstances? Wasn't there a TD?
I read just the message about the anticipated end of the match while I was watching at the other table.
IMO it is very inequitable to denounce the whole team, I know all members more or less well, and at least 4-5 of them don't deserve it, I know them as sportsmen. Sure, a team is a team (or should be), but what can the others do when 1 member cannot control a sudden dropout? Ban him, punish him, perhaps also his partner because he wasn't able to have a positive influence on him, but the others didn't do anything wrong.
And, as others said before, the English team has no disadvantage, quite the contrary.
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. (Groucho Marx)

#20 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2008-October-15, 05:54

Highly unusual, don't see why wrong.

Unless there are regulations forbidding this, don't see why they should be punished.

They don't owe explanatations to anyone but partners, captain and federation.

If DBV (after this) judges they are in the BB team, it is their choice.

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users