Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2008-October-22, 01:36

Walddk, on Oct 15 2008, 06:16 AM, said:

FrancesHinden, on Oct 15 2008, 01:09 PM, said:

Why is it bad sportsmanship?

It's bad sportsmanship because once you decide to sit down to play, you are committed to playing the full set and not leave the room in disgust! You are obviously entitled to forfeit due to a medical condition, but that was not the case.

Please note that Norway conceded after a session. That is completely different.

Roland

:blink: I fail to see why an appropriate concession is "bad sportsmanship" once the contest is out of reach in a one on one team match. Leaving a pairs game early is, of course, terribly inconsiderate to the other players.

#162 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2008-October-22, 02:36

jdeegan, on Oct 22 2008, 09:36 AM, said:

Walddk, on Oct 15 2008, 06:16 AM, said:

FrancesHinden, on Oct 15 2008, 01:09 PM, said:

Why is it bad sportsmanship?

It's bad sportsmanship because once you decide to sit down to play, you are committed to playing the full set and not leave the room in disgust! You are obviously entitled to forfeit due to a medical condition, but that was not the case.

Please note that Norway conceded after a session. That is completely different.

Roland

:P I fail to see why an appropriate concession is "bad sportsmanship" once the contest is out of reach in a one on one team match. Leaving a pairs game early is, of course, terribly inconsiderate to the other players.

Indeed. One might as well argue:

"It's bad sportsmanship because once you decide to sit down to play, you are committed to playing the full match..."

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

#163 User is offline   MFA 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-October-22, 03:24

I don't like it in general. I think that concessions should be a captain's prerogative and that a TD or the organizers should refuse to accept a mid-segment concession from a pair or an individual. Absent special circumstances, of course.
Michael Askgaard

#164 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-October-22, 03:30

i could have sworn roland conceded somewhere around page 5 of this thread. i guess the TD didn't accept the concession and has forced further posting?

#165 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2008-October-22, 03:51

matmat, on Oct 22 2008, 11:30 AM, said:

i could have sworn roland conceded somewhere around page 5 of this thread. i guess the TD didn't accept the concession and has forced further posting?

I think I conceded on page 7; anyway, views are obviously welcomed, but perhaps some should go through the whole thread before they comment on a post prior to my concession. Simply because my statements before that post were based on wrong information.

With this said, I still stand by my opinion regarding a mid-segment concession. I consider it bad sportsmanship to give up because you feel that it's a hopeless task. Play it out as you intended to when you turned up to play the last segment.

Therefore, I agree with Michael (MFA): the TD and/or organizers should not have accepted the concession.

Roland
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#166 User is offline   MFA 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-October-22, 04:00

matmat, on Oct 22 2008, 04:30 AM, said:

Fortunately, when somebody tried to concede the right for everybody to have a political discussion on BBO on how the rules of bridge should be, the TD didn't allow that concession either. :P
Michael Askgaard

#167 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-October-22, 04:33

Ok, maybe i should leave well enough alone, but I have a midsession-consession-obsession.

Best Regards Ole Berg

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

#168 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-October-22, 04:41

On a more serious note;

Roland and other have continued to promote the wiew, that a midsession-consession should not be allowed. Obviously theres is nothing wrong with people trying to promote another wiew.

My personal wiew is that it is no big deal. Allow it or disallow it, it wont matter much to me.

The reason I made another post was, that I felt somthing that was not an argument, had been fielded as one. That was more an intellectual excersise for me, than it whas something that mattered.

Best Regards Ole Berg

Gnasher

#169 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2008-October-25, 18:51

han, on Oct 15 2008, 08:35 AM, said:

So if I understand this correctly, they were down 60 with 16 boards to go, then tried to swing madly, it backfired, they realised that it was pointless to continue, they stood up, said they conceeded, shook the hands of their opponents and left? And it is legal to do so?
If this is all correct, I don't see any problem with it, and the reputation of this pair should be irrelevant. Of course, if this is not how it went then it may be different.
Agree with Han. If the German concession was legal and acceptable to directors and organisers then it seems futile for outsiders to argue for sanctions. If there is some other criticism of a German player, then it is up to his partner, team-mates, captain, and nbo to take appropriate action.

#170 User is offline   geller 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-October-26, 00:29

nige1, on Oct 26 2008, 09:51 AM, said:

han, on Oct 15 2008, 08:35 AM, said:

So if I understand this correctly, they were down 60 with 16 boards to go, then tried to swing madly, it backfired, they realised that it was pointless to continue, they stood up, said they conceeded, shook the hands of their opponents and left? And it is legal to do so?
If this is all correct, I don't see any problem with it, and the reputation of this pair should be irrelevant. Of course, if this is not how it went then it may be different.
Agree with Han. If the German concession was legal and acceptable to directors and organisers then it seems futile for outsiders to argue for sanctions. If there is some other criticism of a German player, then it is up to his partner, team-mates, captain, and nbo to take appropriate action.

The organizer (WBF) AFIK made no provision regarding the admissibility of mid-session concessions. Under those circumstances the Laws of Duplicate Bridge give the Director the right and duty to handle the situation as he sees fit. He in fact allowed the concession, so there is no problem. (This is a repetition of a post I made upthread.)

In the future the WBF if it sees fit can include specific provisions regulating mid-session concessions in the conditions of contest (or, for that matter, provisions for how to handle matches that run overtime in the event a meteorite impacts on the venue).

#171 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-November-06, 10:50

It feels odd to me that an entire team can claim illness, or that they slept late, or whatever to avoid playing against their traditional enemy, and the Europeans just allow the Lebanese to continue doing this.

And yet, we need to have extra rules and double-secret probation for a team who talk to all concerned and concede a few boards of a match that is clearly already over?

#172 User is offline   H_KARLUK 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-November-12, 08:54

“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.”

Elie Wiesel (Romanian born American Writer. Nobel Prize for Peace in 1986. b.1928)
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. Quoted by Albert Einstein.

#173 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-November-12, 11:37

Btw, George Jacobs's column had two stories about de-facto-concession before the other table had finished their segment.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users