• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HTML preview version observations etc.

#41 User is online   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-August-13, 03:40

I've been using dealer scripts with the July 31 preview version and they work fine; however I am unable to force North to be the dealer for all the hands.

In the Flash version, I would use the general settings to set North as the only dealer and then use the advanced tab to use the dealer script.

In the HTML5 version, I cannot find how to set North as the only dealer. The Constraint Set feature for random hands only seems to allow me to set constraints on the North hand rather than force it to be the dealer. Using the dealer(north) command in the dealer script does not seem to be supported and causes an error.

Did I miss anything?

[edit: this is at a bidding table]
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#42 User is offline   sakuragi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-August-13, 09:05

did not find the open in web button when looking at result at RHS panel? only the individual hands could be clicked which open in web.
hope it is not by design?
though the rhs has been larger, opening in web in pc desktop is much more comfortable. :ph34r: :ph34r:
same applies to messages - news. tks

#43 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-13, 15:02

I like the new version.

One minor but somewhat annoying thing. When I use the flash version, it opens a new "minimal" browser window, without the bookmarks bar, and without the bar displaying all tabs open within this browser window. When I use the HTML5 version, the bookmark and tab bars are always present. Somehow, two rows of screen space does make quite a bit of difference on my laptop (1920x1080 screen).

This is on kubuntu xenial (all updates) with google chrome 68.0.3440.106 (Official Build) (64-bit).
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#44 User is offline   shikasrini 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-August-14, 07:45

I tried using the preview. One of the issue is the size of the play panel versus space for the other items in the panel is skewed against the play area. I feel this is because the software designer has simply ported the screen size dimensions of a mobile device to the larger screen of the lap top or desktop. I feel the feature of giving the option of setting the panel size by the user as available in the browser version should be also made available for the user to set the play area and other panel areas...

#45 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-August-14, 09:47

View Postcherdano, on 2018-August-13, 15:02, said:

I like the new version.

One minor but somewhat annoying thing. When I use the flash version, it opens a new "minimal" browser window, without the bookmarks bar, and without the bar displaying all tabs open within this browser window. When I use the HTML5 version, the bookmark and tab bars are always present. Somehow, two rows of screen space does make quite a bit of difference on my laptop (1920x1080 screen).

This is on kubuntu xenial (all updates) with google chrome 68.0.3440.106 (Official Build) (64-bit).

That's done by the link on the home page when you have the "Full Screen" checkbox selected, or if you downloaded the desktop shortcut. When this version becomes the real web we should be able to do the same thing. It's not done by the app itself.

#46 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2018-August-15, 05:57

My minor criticism is that the History of My Table has too few board results displayed. Each result takes up a lot of space and these could be compacted together. It looks like an HTML table will a lot of cellpadding!

The new Gmail has views of Default/Comfortable/Compact. The current display is more along the lines of Default whereas I'd prefer Compact - perhaps there is scope for a compromise :)
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#47 User is offline   tsankaR 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-15, 11:13

it is difficult to see the results while the tourney is still in progress. In the old web version, the results tab is on the right side which make the results easier to see and also what other tables played. But now I have to click somewhere and again click for other tables, and again close it to continue playing

#48 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-15, 12:35

View Postcherdano, on 2018-August-13, 15:02, said:

I like the new version.

I am able to get the new version running in full screen mode (i.e. no tabs, address bars, menu bars etc). Currently I am running linux neon bionic (KDE plasma desktop like kubuntu, one LTS version newer than xenial). From the normal BBO launch page, right click on the "try a preview ..." message and select "open in a new window". That new window will still have the assorted space eating bars, but the F11 key will switch to full-screen mode with none of those (not even the system task bar). I have previously done the same thing on a kubuntu xenial system.
You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!

#49 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2018-August-16, 08:53

View Postpaulg, on 2018-August-13, 03:40, said:

I've been using dealer scripts with the July 31 preview version and they work fine; however I am unable to force North to be the dealer for all the hands.

In the Flash version, I would use the general settings to set North as the only dealer and then use the advanced tab to use the dealer script.

In the HTML5 version, I cannot find how to set North as the only dealer. The Constraint Set feature for random hands only seems to allow me to set constraints on the North hand rather than force it to be the dealer. Using the dealer(north) command in the dealer script does not seem to be supported and causes an error.

Did I miss anything?

[edit: this is at a bidding table]

I've discovered how to fix North as the dealer but there is a difference (loss) in functionality with the preview release.

Previously, with Flash, it combined the general settings with the advanced tab settings - so you could set North as dealer AND have a dealer script. Now I think I can set North as dealer OR have a dealer script. I suspect this is just how it has been converted over rather than by design.
The Beer Card

#50 User is offline   vocaljazz 

• Pip

Posted 2018-August-20, 19:09

There doesn't seem to be any way to clear the chat history.

#51 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-August-21, 08:32

View Postvocaljazz, on 2018-August-20, 19:09, said:

There doesn't seem to be any way to clear the chat history.

Click on the chat area, a menu will pop up with the following options:

Smaller chat font
Bigger chat font
Clear chat
Chat Manager

#52 User is offline   vocaljazz 

• Pip

Posted 2018-August-23, 14:15

View Postbarmar, on 2018-August-21, 08:32, said:

Click on the chat area, a menu will pop up with the following options:

Smaller chat font
Bigger chat font
Clear chat
Chat Manager

You're referring to the Flash version. On the new mobile version there's an option to clear chat, but not on the desktop version.

#53 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-23, 16:01

Tourney List suggestions:
  • Tourney lists take up far more room than they need to. Best to identify what info is needed for each type, eg:
  • Pending tourneys: host, name, type, cost, Start, Duration, Movement, MPs, Restrictions
  • Running tourneys: host, name, type, Can kibitz? #boards remaining(max), Minutes remaining
  • Completed tourneys: host, name, type, Completion time

and then put it in table form 1 line/tourney so we can see the max our screen & layout allows. Perhaps continue to 2nd line only if info does not fit on one line.

For pending restrictions, use colours to ID tourneys we are not allowed to enter for any reason, eg, green for go, red for stop.
For running restrictions, use colours to ID tourneys we can kibitz, eg, green for go, gray for cannot.

#54 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-25, 16:34

When playing with a robot, a description of a bid is displayed when hovering over the denomination of my next bid. If this description does not fit in the box, a scrollbar is provided. But it is not possible to utilize this scrollbar, as trying this means moving the mouse there, but as soon as the cursor leaves the denomination, the box containing the description disappears.

#55 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-August-25, 20:08

View Postvocaljazz, on 2018-August-23, 14:15, said:

You're referring to the Flash version. On the new mobile version there's an option to clear chat, but not on the desktop version.

I tested it in the HTML version before posting.

But I was using an internal test version. So it will be in the next update of the preview, which should be coming out pretty soon.

#56 User is offline   vocaljazz 

• Pip

Posted 2018-August-25, 20:31

View Postbarmar, on 2018-August-25, 20:08, said:

I tested it in the HTML version before posting.

But I was using an internal test version. So it will be in the next update of the preview, which should be coming out pretty soon.

OK, found it. Would be nice if it had a button or an icon to make it easier to find. Not intuitive to just click on the chat area.

#57 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2018-August-26, 02:57

August 25 preview release

Thanks for trying to fix my dealer script issue whereby I could not set the dealer. I can now set the dealer, say, to North and deal everyone the hands I want to.

However 'Randomly rotate generated deals 180 degrees' does not work as previously. In the Flash version, this option rotated the deals AND rotated the dealer by 180 degrees, allowing both members of the partnership to open.

Now, although the hands may be rotated by 180 degrees, the dealer still remains as North.

If I specify both North and South as dealer, then both hands will be dealer but there is no correlation between the hands I want dealt to the dealer. For example, suppose the partnership wants to practice responses to a 20-21 2NT opener. So you always want the dealer to hold this hand. The Flash version does this, but the preview version does not yet, though it is closer :)
The Beer Card

#58 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-26, 04:49

View Postpaulg, on 2018-August-15, 05:57, said:

My minor criticism is that the History of My Table has too few board results displayed. Each result takes up a lot of space and these could be compacted together. It looks like an HTML table will a lot of cellpadding!

This is actually the main thing that I find annoying. I should add that it's not just the History - e.g. the tournament list also contains a lot more space, and as a result displays a lot fewer tournaments than the flash version.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#59 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2018-August-28, 12:24

http://www.bridgebas...27b/preview.php

The latest preview, which I suspect is a new release since the original August 25 preview, seems to have a bug with the tabs on the right-hand side.

After logging in I tap the Friends tab to see who is online. This is fine. When I tap the Friends tab again, the Friends frame collapses as expected. When I tap on the Friends tab again to re-open the frame, nothing happens. It is the same for all the tabs.

If I logout and log back in, the frame is in the correct position. Switching between tabs is fine, but collapsing any frame causes this problem. You can reopen the frame by dragging the edge of the frame, but I think there is an 'action' missing for the opening click (or 'oldwidth' is lost).

This post has been edited by paulg: 2018-August-29, 01:37

The Beer Card

#60 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-August-29, 08:49

View Postpaulg, on 2018-August-28, 12:24, said:

The latest preview, which I suspect is a new release since the original August 25 preview, seems to have a bug with the tabs on the right-hand side.

This should be fixed now.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users