• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HTML preview version observations etc.

#21 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-July-21, 09:32

I played a session today, 16- and 8-board team matches. I did not seem to able to change an alert description once it had been entered although I only tried once.

My biggest annoyance was that typing chat was slow. I could type ahead but it would appear slowly on my screen. Often I typed in the chat, followed by enter, and it appeared on the table before it finished appearing on my chat line.

Using Google Chrome Version 69.0.3493.3 (Official Build) dev (64-bit) on Windows 10 (64-bit)
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#22 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-21, 10:39

View Postpaulg, on 2018-July-21, 09:32, said:

I played a session today, 16- and 8-board team matches. I did not seem to able to change an alert description once it had been entered although I only tried once.

My biggest annoyance was that typing chat was slow. I could type ahead but it would appear slowly on my screen. Often I typed in the chat, followed by enter, and it appeared on the table before it finished appearing on my chat line.

Using Google Chrome Version 69.0.3493.3 (Official Build) dev (64-bit) on Windows 10 (64-bit)

Thanks for the report, Paul.

About the slow chat... If you start a fresh browser session, log in, and start typing chat immediately is it still slow?

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#23 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2018-July-21, 11:52

I just started a fresh session and chatting to the Lobby and to a Teaching table seemed fine.

I had a lot of inactive Chrome tabs during the team match, as in the above test too, but they (and Windows and other idle apps) do consume about 80% of the memory on my system. CPU usage would have been low.

I should have added that I have seen a few web pages fail to load with this release of Chrome, probably due to lack of memory (or poor handling of that), so my instinct is that it is memory usage related.

However this was my first long session and the first time I've seen it, so it was just a report in case others have seen it and I'll take more note of the system if it happens again.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#24 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2018-July-21, 13:29

Chat started fine when I was a friend's match this evening, but gradually slowed after about 30 minutes.

Logging off BBO and then logging back in, without closing the window, resolved the problem and chat speed was restored.
The Beer Card

#25 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-21, 14:19

Thanks much Paul - investigating...

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#26 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2018-July-21, 15:54

When I turned all the Chrome extensions off I did not get the problem when playing a 12-board match. So it may well be a Chrome issue although I did not chat quite as much in this session :)
The Beer Card

#27 User is offline   sakuragi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-July-22, 09:00

seems no such thread yet (?) so starting one ....

looks great on both my windows and linux (fedora)
the html non flash works much better than before for linux

looks diff on windows and linux
windows
https://screenshots.....bridgebase.com

linux

both looks great. probably for linxu guys they may try change browser agent so the look may change to windows one (i havent tried)

thank you bbo :lol: :lol:

#28 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-22, 18:38

View Postsakuragi, on 2018-July-22, 09:00, said:

seems no such thread yet (?) so starting one ....

looks great on both my windows and linux (fedora)
the html non flash works much better than before for linux

looks diff on windows and linux
windows

linux

both looks great. probably for linxu guys they may try change browser agent so the look may change to windows one (i havent tried)

thank you bbo :lol: :lol:

I also use Lynux. I just checked with Firefox, and what I get matches your windows screenshot. Pretty sure it is the same with Chromium/Chrome, can check if important.
You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!

#29 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-July-22, 20:09

See the messages above from smerriman for the reason you're seeing the mobile layout. Your window is less than 640 pixels in height.

#30 User is offline   sakuragi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-24, 07:06

FYI i am having 1366*768 screen in pc.
https://screenshots....eAniNubJkO/null

Am actually happy with diff views in diff OS :lol: :lol:

#31 User is offline   JoshuaR 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-July-24, 21:39

Thanks for the hard work. Some comments, perhaps just my own opinion.

Screenshots in imgur gallery:
https://imgur.com/a/vWnqRxC

Not sure if I'm getting the mobile version on a ~13 inch ultrabook sized laptop using the latest google chrome. Tried F11 full-screening as well as ctrl+- to zoom in and out to see if layout changed.

1. Agree with a previous user stating that it is nice to have the bidding record remain in the top corner during the play of the hand. Sure it doesn't match OTB bridge, but I think of it more of a feature than a bug, and prefer it to having to make an extra click to bring up the bidding. (Didn't show properly that aspect in the two screenshots)

2. Hand history: I am always trying to see where I messed up and how I could do better... the current BBO allows me to have the results tab open at the same time, and with the choice of a simple tab I can compare all the other tables that played the same hand/s. In the html version while kibitzing a vugraph, you can see that there is still that option to click and see the "other table" results. If I am kibitzing a normal game or playing myself; however, the option to view the Other Tables disappears and is replaced with "Recent Hands." Sure, it's nice to see how I did in my most recent hands, but I'm not kibitzing a pro to look at my own old hands. Nor if I am playing do I want to look at my old hands. I want to look at my hands from the current session as well as the other tables playing the same boards. I know that I can click on a particular hand at the bottom right in the board replay pane, but it's a pain (pardon the pun) to click between my table and other tables at that screen compared to just swapping tabs. This feels more like what I have to do when I'm playing on my cell phone, and honestly it's so annoying that at this point I've given up on it in that situation.
Additionally, currently the font size/table column width is funky. There's more scrolling involved, as well.

3. Close-ups: Everything feels pushed out at me and way too close up. From the wide spacing of the results pane (see above) too the giant cards in the center of the screen when played, and my hand/dummy's being spread across the width of the screen, smashing the poor names of my playing partner and opponent so much that I don't really notice when someone leaves or is replaced. I also find it more difficult to process my hand and condense the information in my head when it is so spread out across the screen.

4. Meanwhile much of the left side of the screen is wasted black space. A tiny corner is dedicated to showing the trick count and has some buttons that I can click to see some bidding/trick history, but it's much harder to keep track of what I'm doing without the visual of the tricks adding up vertical or horizontal, and there's still the wasted space that could just constantly display the bidding.

Just my first thoughts. Thanks

#32 User is offline   sakuragi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-25, 07:04

is there any way to see the completion time of the challenge? in previous flash version it is shown. tks

#33 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-July-26, 09:26

View PostJoshuaR, on 2018-July-24, 21:39, said:

Thanks for the hard work. Some comments, perhaps just my own opinion.

Screenshots in imgur gallery:
https://imgur.com/a/vWnqRxC

Not sure if I'm getting the mobile version on a ~13 inch ultrabook sized laptop using the latest google chrome. Tried F11 full-screening as well as ctrl+- to zoom in and out to see if layout changed.

You're getting the desktop version, since you have two columns and the tabs along the right side. The mobile button has just one column, and buttons along the bottom.

#34 User is offline   pcouderc 

• Pip

Posted 2018-July-28, 01:02

When we are in the lobby, default chat goes to th lobby. Fine.
But when we enter a table, default chat should switch to "table" instead of remaining in the lobby.

Concgratulations, HTML5 is a big progress to get rid of old technologies :

#35 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-July-28, 09:06

View Postpcouderc, on 2018-July-28, 01:02, said:

When we are in the lobby, default chat goes to th lobby. Fine.
But when we enter a table, default chat should switch to "table" instead of remaining in the lobby.

Concgratulations, HTML5 is a big progress to get rid of old technologies :

This is on the to-do list, to make it more like the old web version.

#36 User is offline   moogal 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-July-31, 13:25

First off, thanks for giving us all this for free!

But, I know I’m a broken record — I see there is no support for voice. I accepted that it was gone from the mobile app and drag out the ol’ Laptop when I want to listen to voice on Vugraph. Does this mean it will go away completely (at least for now) when you move this beta to the production version?

Thanks, Janice

#37 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-July-31, 13:38

View Postmoogal, on 2018-July-31, 13:25, said:

First off, thanks for giving us all this for free!

But, I know I’m a broken record — I see there is no support for voice. I accepted that it was gone from the mobile app and drag out the ol’ Laptop when I want to listen to voice on Vugraph. Does this mean it will go away completely (at least for now) when you move this beta to the production version?

Thanks, Janice

There will be voice once we figure out a good solution to a technically complex problem. Sorry I can't predict how long that might take.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#38 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-August-02, 15:20

After having played a few tourneys and Main Bridge Club hands with the HTML5 client using Firefox under Linux, here are my observations:

1. In the history of played hands, the columns are not we/they, but NS/EW, like in the app. The we/they layout provides an easier understanding which boards are good for us and which have a bad result, especially if we sit on different compass directions in different rounds.

2. Like in the app there are no sums of the IMPs won and lost in the boards played so far, probably due to issue #1.

3. Several times when playing in a tourney my first chats went to the lobby, and sometimes I did not recognize this so my opps did not receive my greetings. Chat destination should change to table when the tourney starts.

3a. There seems to be no "chat to opps". I use this seldom, but sometimes it is really useful.

4. In some lists, e.g. the tables of a running tourney, the scrollbar is so small that it is virtually invisible.

5. In the Flash client below this list there used to be a button that enabled me to volunteer as a sub for this tourney only. There is no such button in the HTML5 client. BTW, in the app I did not even find a button to sub at all.

6. There is a limit for the number of participants for each tourney, but this number is nowhere displayed. Again, same problem in the app.

7. Below the display of an historic board, there is no GIB button.

8. The German translation sometimes needs more space than the English original. This is especially awkward with the Round Clock, that was correctly translated to "Rundenzeit". This label word exceeds the box and is truncated. The digit(s) that show the time are visible, but they override the label, sharing the same background, which makes them difficult to recognize.

In general, I prefer the HTML5 client over the Flash client, especially as it loads faster, does never stall when I accidentally right click, an displays what I type immediately, while with the Flash client I had to type blind most of the time, and the text would appear some time later (Flash issue under Linux).

#39 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-August-02, 15:42

There's a good reason why this version has many of the same issues as the mobile app -- it's just an updated version of the app.

#40 User is offline   moogal 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-August-03, 10:20

View Postfred, on 2018-July-31, 13:38, said:

There will be voice once we figure out a good solution to a technically complex problem. Sorry I can't predict how long that might take.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

Thanks for the info. I’m watching you on Vugraph with Voice right now. Good Luck!

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users