BBO Discussion Forums: Partnership bidding by Robson & Segal - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Partnership bidding by Robson & Segal

#1 User is offline   easy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-March-24, 13:27

Inquiry (Ben) has mentioned in almost every post possible how wonderful the approach to bidding is that is expounded by Robson and Segal. (Just kidding Ben)

Finally i downloaded the book (all 254 pages of it) and am in the process of reading it. At first blush i like what im reading but i have a little problem. Partnerhip bidding (PB) uses lots of fit showing jumps at both the 3 and 4 levels. I like this but i am currently playing weak jump shifts in competition  as well as some modified bergen responses in uncontested auctions after pard has opened 1 major. Here is my question: what do u do with the hands that i would have made a weak jump shift in competition. Such as

1C   1S    3H (weak) holding

xx  KJT9xx   xx  Kxx   or  x  AQJTxx   xxx   xxx
or

1H   1S  3D (weak) holding the same hands as above but the long suit would be diamonds.

Are you bidding them at 2 level or beginning with 1 suited negative double,  planning on bidding the suit over partners response..

I plan on going through the entire book so be prepared for lots of questions about the PB notes :)
This game never ceases to intrigue me!!

#2 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2003-March-24, 14:24

Easy, please note that to download a whole book which is not in the public domain is a serious breach of copyright, even though the book is out of print. The author of the web site has been requested to remove the offending article.

How would you feel if your intellectual property had violated like this?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-March-24, 14:52

Easy, please note that to download a whole book which is not in the public domain is a serious breach of copyright, even though the book is out of print. The author of the web site has been requested to remove the offending article.

How would you feel if your intellectual property had violated like this?

Hmmm. That would be truly unfortunate if access to this book is blocked, for quite frankly, the book is not for everyone. And I wonder, how you know that daniel (he is a user here, btw) has been requested to not to post the pdf. And anyone who likes it, will surely try to get their hands on a hard copy (no way to read it on computer or printed out). Last year at least, you could still find copies at Baron Bridge Supplies (I actually went to the University of Florida at the same time as Randy Baron, if anyone wants to try to figure out my age).

I want everyone to adopt Robson/Segal bidding, so the publisher will release the book and Andrew and Oliver will be encourage to write the second book they hinted at in the first one. I have tried to roll my own non-competitive auctions based upon their theories (fit jumps without competition, for instance), but I would pay dearly for the sequel to Partnership Bidding.  The publisher/authors have a very vocal advocate for their past (and potentially future) book in me...  8)

But if they did request it's removal, then it should be removed. But the theory is in the public domain now and discuss it we shalll.
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   the hog 

• Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2003-March-24, 15:07

And I wonder, how you know that daniel (he is a user here, btw) has been requested to not to post the pdf.

I know because this very topic came up in rec.games.bridge about this file on Daniel's site

If you haven't read posts to rgb you should have a look. It is very informative
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#5 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-March-24, 16:51

Hi Fred,

Inquiry (Ben) has mentioned in almost every post possible how wonderful the approach to bidding is that is expounded by Robson and Segal. (Just kidding Ben)

Yes, double with your hands is the right start, at least in three of the four potential auctions see below. Let me point out something you will eventually read in the book about someone DOUBLING (TAKEOUT) and then bidding a new suit. It is either a really strong hand (they call it a GOSH), or a scramble. Since the primary auction you gave....1C-(1S)-?  responder with any good hand plus would simply bid 2H, so a double followed by a pull to hearts is always a scramble.

No, I don't think you were kidding. This is a reasonable understanding of what I have been doing. Mainly as an advocate to get enough interest in R/S's book to get the publisher to push out volume II, but a little to explain some of my non-standard options for bids.

Glad you like the book. It uses not only FIT JUMPS, but you will probably get bent a little out of shape by the FIT NONJUMPS at the three level as well... you will wonder how in the world are you to bid perfectly normal hands when you get there.

So let's examine your three hands if you are playing fit jumps (it is interesting you didn't ask about if they double, but I will address this one in the last example.

Your old auction... 1C   1S    3H (weak) holding

xx  
KJT9xx  
xx  
Kxx  

or  

x  
AQJTxx  
xxx  
xxx  

Ok, for those not up on Fit Jumps, you can not bid 3H here on these two hands, because that would show something like: Qxxx AJ9xx Qx xx. Second these hands are too offensive in nature to consider passing (may miss 4Hs). And you have the worse holding in spades for a pass to intice your partner to reopen. You can often get by with a pass if you are long in their suit, but with a singleton and doubleton, partner will likely have length and thus be less likely to balance. Hand one is clearly not good enough for a forcing 2H call. So with hand 1 you are forced to double playing R/S. Partner will often bid 2H with three to an honor on this auction (over 1Sx), keep reading R/S to find out why. When partner bids 2/3C or 2/3 diamond, you rebid a scrambling 2/3H. If partner can't stand hearts, you will end up back in clubs as partner tries to find a better spot (one way...1C-(1S)-X-(P)-2C-(P)-2H-(P)-2S/2N-(P)-3C.  With hand 2, you made the heart suit too good, and gave me a singleton spade. I would simply bid a forcing 2H and then rebid 3Hs (not forcing).  

Experiences shows the worse that can happen on hand one is your opponents have found their spade fit with the overcall, and there is a barrage spade bid. Now, partner with clubs and diamonds might be in there with a diamond bid. But, partner should try to remain flexible, your 1S-X place heavy emphasis on hearts (Read chapter 5). Partner with 1-3-4-5 and values should double a raise to 2/3S rather than just blast to 3/4D. Since you showed HEARTS, his double shows a heart tolerance but a real diamond suit.

or

1H   1S  3D (weak) holding the same hands as above but the long suit would be diamonds.

This turns out to be easier I think... let's look at a few hands

x
xxx        I probably probably bid 2D now, and  
AQJTxx    raise hearts to the three level if RHO raises
xxx       spades. If I bid H's immediately, partner may
         lead one when (if) they out bid us.

xxx         I pass, I expect partner to reopen or that I
x           will get a chance to show D later
AQJTxx
xxx

xx
xx          Perfect double/followed by scramble hand. Heck
KJT98x     if partner rebids 2H you might just let him play
Kxx        in his six card suit at the two level

R/S advocates passing with some really fine hands. One part I have had great success with the past year plus is this auction

1C-1D-DBL
1C-1H-DBL
1D-1H-DBL

The last two auctions DENY a four card or longer spade suit. The first denys four cards in either major. They advocate simply bidding the suit if you have it (or fit jump with five and fit for partners minor).  
--Ben--

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users