BBO Discussion Forums: Bridge  etiquette-not another oxymoron - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bridge  etiquette-not another oxymoron

#1 User is offline   baronreit 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2003-March-10, 12:48

The memory is burned like branded cattle.  I was 12 and my father invited me to play my 1st round of golf.  We reached the first green, amazingly, without incident.  As 1 of our foursome began to putt  I started walking across the back of the green.  Son-my father shouted-stand your ground-This is a game for gentlemen not children-it is a game of rules and etiquette.  Respect your fellow player always.

Well, I actually thought that was a neat thing to play aman's game as a child and if it meant following the rules and treating people respectfully-I could do that.

So I grew up with the notion that  etiquette is an integral part of playing adult games.  Enter the world of on-line bridge.  When I first came on BBO I was foolish enough to ask if I could sit before sitting.  The result of course was that I never got a seat that way.  OK, live and learn.  Just today in a 4 hour session on BBO-4 players left the game in the middle of a hand-in 3 instances they left after bidding absurd contracts and in the 4th case he left because we bid a slam.  In two separate instances opponents were speaking furiously in a language my partner and I did not understaND-which of course is fine-except it took 20 minutes to play a hand.  I finally asked one of the pair to cut out the chatter and the response I got was "typical american" and 1 or maybe both got up and left.  In another instance today 2 people who did not know each other paired against us.  After the first hand they began to criticize each others play.  By the 4th hand they were hurling epithets.  Now keep in mind these are complete strangers-I wonder whether sitting in the chair gives one license to disregard all manner of common decency never mind concern for etiquette.
Maybe it was a bad day at the ranch, but bridge is a lot more enjoyable when adults act like adults and remember that courtesy and etiquette are as much a part of the game as conventions.   Another day like today and I might have to spend time with my wife.
rsg

#2 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2003-March-10, 13:24

I agree completely, but I have to say that, as a recent convert to BBO from MSN Zone, that BBO has somewhat better behavior, especially when it comes to finishing a hand.  It seems like close to 50% of Zoners leave in the middle of a hand, and most don't say goodbye.

There will always be those who believe that with the right partner they would win the Bermuda Bowl 4 years out of 5, and treat their real partners accordingly.  I find the best way to deal with them (whether they are a partner or an opponent) is to finish the hand, say goodbye politely, leave, and speculate with a fair degree of confidence as to the quality of the player's personal life.

#3 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-March-10, 13:40

Do you think the problem is getting worse or better as time passes?

I've become fairly quick to suspend players for verbal rudeness.   The crazies are barred immediately and permanently, of course.  The simply obnoxious are suspended, and usually let back on - once - after an email exchange and after anywhere from 1-14 days have passed.  

For smaller offences, like bailing from a table, i send a reminder of the rules and leave it at that unless the player is reported again.

I'm guessing that a large percentage of rudeness goes unreported. I'm not sure why this is the case.  I don't think I've ever received a complaint about, for instance, two players bickering and making the game unpleasant for the other two.

Any theories on why rude behaviour usually goes unreported?  Is it that generating an email to abuse@bridgebase.com is a nuisance ( and causes a loss of anonymity) in and of itself?  

#4 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2003-March-10, 13:50

I see that there are some people that thought my post in the forum discussing disciplinary issues was blatantly ignored. That thread should be mandatory reading because it's obvious some people are not getting the message that Fred and his staff will not tolerate this utter nonsense.

With regards to the forum, as long as slander, epithets, and discrimination doesn't rear its ugly head, I'll let the thread serve a constructive use. If however the thread tries to spiral into the abyss of egoism and narcisstic behavior, I'll lock this up faster than a bullet train.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#5 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-March-10, 13:55

I wish the poor etiquette wasn't here. But I can't let one of Baronreit's comments go bye without commenting... he said.

"Another day like today and I might
have to spend time with my wife.

Maybe poor etiquette in your house, but I love the humor.  :)
--Ben--

#6 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2003-March-10, 14:11

At least he has a loving wife...I myself am lonely, but I digress... :)
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#7 User is offline   baronreit 

• PipPip

Posted 2003-March-10, 15:04

I can't leave a misimpression-cause i was truly making ajoke-no one on this earth is as lucky as i am to have a wife as wonderful as Lisa.  We have been madly in love for gosh knows how long and everyday I give thanks for being so blessed.  Only because this is the case can I make a joke like that
rsg

#8 User is offline   baronreit 

• PipPip

Posted 2003-March-10, 15:30

and while i am at it-Uday I don't think anyone wants a hassle and thats why most inappropriate behavior goes unreported.  I  am still suffering for calling in for support to deal with an abusive spectator in one of the tournaments.  Now everytime I make a lobby announcement concerning a tournament I get a public reply for the kid or guy  as follow: "tournaments suck"-In the end I probably would have been better off not getting involved-but I don't think that way.  because I spend a good deal of time in the community I want it to reflect my values not someone elses -so I do hassle-but I am hardly the average bbo member
rsg

#9 User is offline   Rhutobello 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-March-11, 01:31

Now everytime I make a lobby announcement concerning a tournament I get a public reply for the kid or guy  as follow: "tournaments suck"-In the end I probably would have been better off not getting involved-but I don't think that way.  because I spend a good deal of time in the community I want it to reflect my values not someone elses -so I do hassle-but I am hardly the average bbo member

I am glad you became involvd, and I am sure we all have to be better taking those "small kids" that never have learned how to behave. It is a pitty, but  "some"  people use the net to get out their frustration, while they think they are safe at home:(

As for complaining on partner, oponent and so on, it is just one thing to say, look on yourself, even an exspert dosen't make it right evry time. That is the fun with the game:)
The day you can it all, that day you have to start learning, or become ignorant:):)
Edvin say "a smile a day keep the doctor away"

#10 User is offline   Neil 

• Pip

Posted 2003-March-26, 20:00

I'm new to BBO..... it's fantastic to see so many tables going and the possibility to play against a higher standard of player.

I sat down the other day and first board we reached a rather streaky 7NT that needed either a 33 club break or Jx in one hand. Surprise surprise after I started on clubs my LHO oppponent quit as he was holding Jxx and could see dummy was good. None too pleasant.......the thing was 3 more LHO appeared only to quit when they saw 7NT was the contract and it was making.

The reason I like BBO, compared to other sites, so much is the lack of rating system and the subsequent bad atmosphere at the table. I fail to understand the mentality of people who put their score above all when no-one is counting......... I have only played maybe 50-100 boards but if I was to report all the  unannounced quitters I would be well into double figures already.

I am of a reasonable standard so sitting down at a table with self rated Expert opps seems to give a much more stable game. The average player doesn't have that
choice and will become accustomed to quitting unannounced in the middle of a hand.  Very quickly he will think of it as part of the online experience and start doing it too........

I guess the correct action for me in the future is to have a pen at the ready and report anyone who blatantly leaves for bridge reasons unannounced.

#11 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2003-March-26, 21:07

Hi Neil,

frustrating experience, indeed. And very ridicoulous behaviour of the "new" LHOs, who refused to sit too.
Even at ok-bridge, it would not effect their rating when they sit after the play started. But well, sometimes sillyness rules. OTOH, why did you want to play this hand? You knew, that you reached a lucky contract with about 35 % of play and it would score. So what benefit did you have from playing?

Regarding the middle in the hand leaver: I play with interm till advanced and I guess the rating for these "leavers" is much below 5 %. I "black" them and that`s it, no big deal.

Besides: I love rating systems, but can live without them. The  rating was one of the things, which took me to ok for some years. I hate to play socalled experts, who are experts in playing sometimes correct if they hold xx opps. AQ, but don´t know much more besides knowing anything better after the hand is played.

A correct self-describtion is a part of good behaviour too.

Kind Regards

Roland
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#12 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-March-27, 01:19

OTOH, why did you want to play this hand? You knew, that you reached a lucky contract with about 35 % of play and it would score.

Hi Roland,

I think your statement that the slam is only about 35% is significanlty off. I believe what your are quoting is the odds for a 3-3 split (35.5% or so). If 3-3 or 4-2 with doubleton JACK is included, the odds jump to 51.7% and if 5-1 with singleton JACK also work (Neil didn't say), it goes up to 54.1%.

These percentages are, of course, justed rounded off. But don't forget the odds of a lucky honor drop occurs when the split isn't perfect....

Ben
--Ben--

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users