BBO Discussion Forums: Conventions to Learn - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Conventions to Learn Which are most important?

#61 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2006-December-07, 13:49

csdenmark, on Dec 7 2006, 02:03 PM, said:

inquiry, on Dec 7 2006, 08:51 PM, said:

zasanya, on Dec 7 2006, 11:17 AM, said:

csdenmark, on Dec 7 2006, 05:10 AM, said:

So in fact not all interested have the knowledge of the existence of BBO Forum.

Another problem some may wonder is why more than 4000 registered members in this Forum and only about 100-200 posting here. I doubt the intensions of BBO Forum had that kind of limitations in mind.

100-200? More like 20-25?

1536 forum members have posted at least once.

Thank you Ben for this information. We therefore now know that 3000 persons have registered but posted nothing. As the only reason for registering is to be able to post I think BBO Forum has a problem - a nice problem of course - but a problem which need to be dealt with.

But Ben my figures was an assumption of regular users, at least 1 per month or so.

I think to download the beta version of the software you have to be a member, but I am not sure... but for lurkers, being a registered member makes it easy to read post since your last visit... so even if you never post, but do visit, there are reasons to register. One is to use teh private messaging. I have been messaged by at least two "members" who have never posted.
--Ben--

#62 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2006-December-07, 14:42

It's very normal for forums to have far more lurkers and inactive users than active posters. No forum I participate in has a different pattern.

#63 User is offline   csdenmark 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-December-07, 15:06

awm, on Dec 7 2006, 09:21 PM, said:

Two conventions that I think are being a bit undersold here:

Fourth suit force. Several people have mentioned this, but often put it fairly low on the list. This is a convention that comes up a lot, especially in a system where 2/1 bids are not forcing to game. For example: 1-2-2, what's responder's next call? It's actually more likely that responder has a game force than not. Yet in SAYC, 2 is a non-forcing preference, 2NT is invitational, 3 and 3 are not forcing. While 3 is forcing it certainly agrees spades. So how do we look for slam? How do we avoid 3NT if no one has a heart stopper? I think these are pretty basic questions, and the answer to both is 2 4th suit forcing. Of course, 4th suit force is a fairly basic convention and a part of SAYC, so perhaps it's more of a "beginner" level thing to learn. But it's extremely important. If I had to list conventions I absolutely couldn't imagine playing without, 4th suit force would be on the list. Weak two bids, blackwood/rkc, and new minor force would not be on the list.

Lebensohl. This is a single convention that comes up in many different places (commonly over interference to 1NT, over partner's takeout double of a weak two, and over our own reverses). It solves a pretty serious problem in standard bidding (how do you know when partner has a good hand versus a hand that's just bidding competitively). While experts disagree about a lot of things (you can find people who hate inverted minors, or forcing notrump, or game forcing 2/1s, or any particular defense to 1NT), lebensohl seems fairly universal on expert CCs. Of course you can argue that it's marginal better to play different methods in the three situations (some kind of rubensohl/transfer lebensohl over 1NT interference, ingberman or some kind of relay over reverses) but virtually everyone agrees that lebensohl is a substantial improvement over "no conventional treatment" in the auctions where it comes up. Of course, lebensohl is a convention I could do without, but after getting the bare necessities down (negative doubles, stayman, fourth suit force) I think it should be pretty high on the list.

I really wonder the popularity of Lebensohl lately. I remember something more than 1 year ago a thread was up(seems no longer searchable) asking for info about Lebensohl. As normal for BBO Forum when it comes to topics where knowledge is needed, most silence. But of course I am pleased to see interest for this strong tool.

Most of my opps. claims expert level and they normally play without much else than Stayman, 2-way transfer and sometimes art. 2 art. forcing. For poles Wilkosz looks like a must. If one of them try to introduce something else the other one mostly dont know. Latest I remember both opps. have never heard of 'Herbert negative'. As I often play strong club(Precision/Blue) a 4-way tool like fx. CRASH ought to be welknown stuff. Unfortunately it is not. Not only it is not welknown but it is so unknown that even offered help they agree on natural instead.

4th suit looks to me to be the most advanced tool on expert level in pick-up partnerships.

I will now consider instead to accept beginner/intermediates for opps. in the future.

#64 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2006-December-07, 15:25

csdenmark, on Dec 7 2006, 04:06 PM, said:

I really wonder the popularity of Lebensohl lately. I remember something more than 1 year ago a thread was up(seems no longer searchable) asking for info about Lebensohl. As normal for BBO Forum when it comes to topics where knowledge is needed, most silence. But of course I am pleased to see interest for this strong tool.

Maybe you meant this one Claus Lebensohl Vs Good-Bad 2NT That one was from 2003, easily searchable,

Or maybe you meant my Lebenshiol poll from even earlier in 2003? Again easily searchable

Or maybe this one On the many faces of lebehshol also from 2003, and well, you know.. searchable

Or Keylimes article that is was similar to this one What is your favorite conventions?, also 2003, also searchable...

How about 2004? Plenty there too, also all searchable... you might have been thinking about Luis's (why has luis abandoned us?? sigh)... hi sarticle was entitledYALT: Yet another Leb thread, Evil guys bid over our 1NT

Maybe you don't realize you can pull down the search opton and choose "from the beginning" that searches everything....
--Ben--

#65 User is offline   csdenmark 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-December-07, 17:55

Thank you Ben. I clicked search on top and asked for 'Lebensohl' and search to be performanced in all Forums. I received this return:

Hand of the week
Interesting Bridge Hands bid_em_up 13 101 Dec 8 2006, 01:40 AM
Last Post by: whereagles
Conventions to Learn
Which are most important? Beginner and Intermediate Bridge Discussion awm 63 1126 Dec 7 2006, 11:25 PM
Last Post by: inquiry
Help for lebensohl please
Beginner and Intermediate Bridge Discussion rona_ 21 372 Dec 6 2006, 12:03 AM
Last Post by: kenberg
here we go again...
another rebid problem Beginner and Intermediate Bridge Discussion jillybean2 18 163 Dec 5 2006, 06:33 AM
Last Post by: neilkaz
Strange sequence
SAYC and 2/1 Discussion pclayton 24 420 Dec 4 2006, 11:06 AM
Last Post by: FrancesHinden
Negative Doubles After Interference Over 15-17 NT
General Bridge Discussion pbleighton 9 197 Nov 25 2006, 07:28 PM
Last Post by: 1eyedjack
Meaning of 2NT
Beginner and Intermediate Bridge Discussion DWM 3 71 Nov 15 2006, 09:47 PM
Last Post by: dank
Poll: KQ A KTxxx AKTxx ; 2-P-P-?
pick your poison Advanced and Expert-Class Bridge Rob F 12 237 Nov 13 2006, 05:51 PM
Last Post by: Apollo81
supporting partners major with 2

-----------------------------
I see now I have options backsearch to the right. Sorry :P

#66 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-December-08, 03:08

personally, i think the most important thing is to have partnership agreements about basic responses to opening bids and raises. Nothing named, just basic hand evaluation stuff. Maybe Negative/Takeout doubles and jacoby transfers.

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users