fourth seat pickle
#23
Posted Today, 04:54
#1 1C
#2 X after 2H, 3H is forcing to game, and assuming no error, as far as I counted I have 14HCP, with a single Q in
their suit facing a passed hand, i.e. why should I force to game?
With kind regards
Marlowe
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
#25
Posted Today, 06:38
pescetom, on 2026-October-11, 03:50, said:
MP
This is looking promising, I’m waiting at the bar.
Bridge should be fun!
#27
Posted Today, 08:19
pescetom, on 2026-October-11, 06:40, said:
This is where I usually fail. Today, I have the time to lay out the cards and give it a proper try.
pescetom, on 2026-October-11, 06:40, said:
Bridge should be fun!
#28
Posted Today, 09:05
pescetom, on 2026-October-11, 06:28, said:
Do you pass it out?
Sure, partner heared me.
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
#29
Posted Today, 09:16
pescetom, on 2026-October-10, 12:41, said:
MP
apollo1201 and mike777 X:
MP
WasWinM Pass:
MP
Isn't MP fun?
This isn't so tough, especially as partner isn't supposed to have 4 hearts, so the double is neither takeout nor penalty but informatory, telling me he has a maximum for this actions, so probably a decent 10 count. My hand isn't especially defensive, anyway, so I'm bidding 3C.
Something to consider here: If 3 clubs or diamonds is making, that's 110, so a double and a 1-trick set still doesn't help us if the scores are all plus 110. If they are +130, we should be copmpeting to the 4 level. The only time it's really right to double hearts is if we are a maximum of +110 and can set them for +300. It's much easier to get that magic number at 3H than 2H, although they do (or should have) a nine-card fit.
And finally, if LHO made an inspired 2H call with 5 hearts and caught magic, pay off the fix. They happen.
#30
Posted Today, 10:04
MP
#31
Posted Today, 10:18
WasWinM, on 2026-October-11, 09:16, said:
Something to consider here: If 3 clubs or diamonds is making, that's 110, so a double and a 1-trick set still doesn't help us if the scores are all plus 110. If they are +130, we should be copmpeting to the 4 level. The only time it's really right to double hearts is if we are a maximum of +110 and can set them for +300. It's much easier to get that magic number at 3H than 2H, although they do (or should have) a nine-card fit.
NS did indeed have 3 making in the minors and EW only 2 hearts making (LoTT compliant).
Unsurprisingly nobody passed the board out, would have been about 40%.
Only our one surviving 4 card major pair got to play 2♦+1, nobody the clubs.
Most tables played 3♥-1 with one hothead table in 4♥X-2.
Two tables played 3NT South, going down 2 on a hearts lead taking out the Q.
I played 3NT North, making +1 on a hearts lead won by the Q.
#34
Posted Today, 12:07
That could have been a thread in itself.
All around excellent post in many ways, thanks for sharing.
#36
Posted Today, 12:59
mike777, on 2026-October-11, 12:07, said:
That could have been a thread in itself.
The choice of 4♥ lead was curious, but opponents were unhappy for some reason and I didn't enquire further.
#37
Posted Today, 13:11
Bridge should be fun!

Help
