fourth seat pickle
#23
Posted Today, 04:54
Hi,
#1 1C
#2 X after 2H, 3H is forcing to game, and assuming no error, as far as I counted I have 14HCP, with a single Q in
their suit facing a passed hand, i.e. why should I force to game?
With kind regards
Marlowe
#1 1C
#2 X after 2H, 3H is forcing to game, and assuming no error, as far as I counted I have 14HCP, with a single Q in
their suit facing a passed hand, i.e. why should I force to game?
With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
#25
Posted Today, 06:38
pescetom, on 2026-October-11, 03:50, said:
akwoo 3♣ with jillybean in South:
MP
MP
This is looking promising, I’m waiting at the bar.
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
Bridge should be fun!
#27
Posted Today, 08:19
pescetom, on 2026-October-11, 06:40, said:
You have to play it now, you're not going to like the first trick.
This is where I usually fail. Today, I have the time to lay out the cards and give it a proper try.
pescetom, on 2026-October-11, 06:40, said:
You may get off lightly, the bar is humming with discussion of my opening.
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
Bridge should be fun!
#28
Posted Today, 09:05
pescetom, on 2026-October-11, 06:28, said:
I don't think I would move in South over the probable 3H by East.
Do you pass it out?
Do you pass it out?
Sure, partner heared me.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
#29
Posted Today, 09:16
pescetom, on 2026-October-10, 12:41, said:
Jillybean "not a mechanical error" 3♥:
MP
apollo1201 and mike777 X:
MP
WasWinM Pass:
MP
Isn't MP fun?
MP
apollo1201 and mike777 X:
MP
WasWinM Pass:
MP
Isn't MP fun?
This isn't so tough, especially as partner isn't supposed to have 4 hearts, so the double is neither takeout nor penalty but informatory, telling me he has a maximum for this actions, so probably a decent 10 count. My hand isn't especially defensive, anyway, so I'm bidding 3C.
Something to consider here: If 3 clubs or diamonds is making, that's 110, so a double and a 1-trick set still doesn't help us if the scores are all plus 110. If they are +130, we should be copmpeting to the 4 level. The only time it's really right to double hearts is if we are a maximum of +110 and can set them for +300. It's much easier to get that magic number at 3H than 2H, although they do (or should have) a nine-card fit.
And finally, if LHO made an inspired 2H call with 5 hearts and caught magic, pay off the fix. They happen.
#30
Posted Today, 10:04
The auction ended swiftly at my table, it's friday night and this is my rogue NT partnership:
MP
MP
#31
Posted Today, 10:18
WasWinM, on 2026-October-11, 09:16, said:
Something to consider here: If 3 clubs or diamonds is making, that's 110, so a double and a 1-trick set still doesn't help us if the scores are all plus 110. If they are +130, we should be copmpeting to the 4 level. The only time it's really right to double hearts is if we are a maximum of +110 and can set them for +300. It's much easier to get that magic number at 3H than 2H, although they do (or should have) a nine-card fit.
NS did indeed have 3 making in the minors and EW only 2 hearts making (LoTT compliant).
Unsurprisingly nobody passed the board out, would have been about 40%.
Only our one surviving 4 card major pair got to play 2♦+1, nobody the clubs.
Most tables played 3♥-1 with one hothead table in 4♥X-2.
Two tables played 3NT South, going down 2 on a hearts lead taking out the Q.
I played 3NT North, making +1 on a hearts lead won by the Q.

Help
