Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rusinow Lead Question

#1 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-April-16, 07:11

The description of Rusinow leads seems to have it that you and your partner have sat silently while the opponents have bid to the final contract say, 1S -4S.

But what if partner has thrown in a bid as in: 1S-2H by partner -4S.

Assuming you are now on lead and choose to lead a Heart. Are you still leading second from touching Honors? Are you still leading 3rd down from an even count and low from an odd count? Are you still leading top of any doubleton, including touching honors?

I would appreciate comments/advice.

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-April-16, 07:35

As I understand it, Rusinow doesn't apply when you lead partner's suit.

Maybe it does when partner's suit could be a short minor?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-16, 07:42

View Posthelene_t, on 2022-April-16, 07:35, said:

As I understand it, Rusinow doesn't apply when you lead partner's suit.

Maybe it does when partner's suit could be a short minor?

Can you tell me your heart lead in each of the following heart holdings ? :
a) Q 8
b) Q 8 4
c) Q 8 4 3

assume (1S)-P-(P)-2H
(P) -P -(2S) -all pass

#4 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-16, 09:21

Rusinow is off when leading partner's suit, as you will often be leading from doubleton honors. So you lead the Q from (a). Rusinow is independent from your decision to lead 3rd from even/low from odd from suits not containing an honor sequence, so you'd lead 4 from both (b) and c) if that is your agreement whether playing Rusinow or not, or leading some suit partner hadn't bid. But you'd lead differently if your agreement was 4th best or Polish style 2nd/4th, etc.

#5 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-16, 09:25

View PostStephen Tu, on 2022-April-16, 09:21, said:

Rusinow is off when leading partner's suit, as you will often be leading from doubleton honors. So you lead the Q from (a). Rusinow is independent from your decision to lead 3rd from even/low from odd from suits not containing an honor sequence, so you'd lead 4 from both (b) and © if that is your agreement whether playing Rusinow or not, or leading some suit partner hadn't bid. But you'd lead differently if your agreement was 4th best or Polish style 2nd/4th, etc.

Thanks, to both responders

#6 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-16, 14:08

Rusinow leads involve more memory work than standard leads. From the fact this is now the third time you've had this question asked and answered, I'm guessing you're regularly having mix-ups about what the leads mean - you might be better off simply sticking with standard leads.

#7 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-16, 20:01

View PostStephen Tu, on 2022-April-16, 09:21, said:

Rusinow is off when leading partner's suit, as you will often be leading from doubleton honors.

And it's not just suits that partner has directly bid. It might have been a lead directing double, a takeout double of a suit in which case the other 3 suits are considered partner's suits, a Michaels or Unusual NT bid which shows 2 other suits, etc.

#8 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-17, 05:23

View Postjohnu, on 2022-April-16, 20:01, said:

And it's not just suits that partner has directly bid. It might have been a lead directing double, a takeout double of a suit in which case the other 3 suits are considered partner's suits, a Michaels or Unusual NT bid which shows 2 other suits, etc.

thanks

#9 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-17, 05:29

View Postsmerriman, on 2022-April-16, 14:08, said:

Rusinow leads involve more memory work than standard leads. From the fact this is now the third time you've had this question asked and answered, I'm guessing you're regularly having mix-ups about what the leads mean - you might be better off simply sticking with standard leads.

Yes, I haven't played bridge in 3 years and am 'relearning' what used to be stuff I took for granted. and yeah, looks like I asked similar question earlier. Not the worst thing I have done in my life ( but I will try not to be redundant in future)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users