Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ruff Justice The Telltale Two

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-April-23, 13:38

Partner leads the six of spades, you win with the ace and declarer plays the two. Over to you. Lady Milne, International Women's Event.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-23, 14:36

Declarer appears to have KQ2 and 4 hearts, you could play him for KQ2, Qxxx, KQx, Axx or similar and return a club, allowing you to fly the heart ace and give partner the ruff where he he then has a club to cash.

This is wrong if declarer actually has KQx, Q98x, xx, AK109 but partner might have led K and declarer might not have ugraded.

Also why hasn't declarer dropped a high spade under the ace ?

#3 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-April-23, 22:02

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-April-23, 14:36, said:

Declarer appears to have KQ2 and 4 hearts, you could play him for KQ2, Qxxx, KQx, Axx or similar and return a club, allowing you to fly the heart ace and give partner the ruff where he he then has a club to cash.

This is wrong if declarer actually has KQx, Q98x, xx, AK109 but partner might have led K and declarer might not have ugraded.

Also why hasn't declarer dropped a high spade under the ace ?

Agree. The danger is declarer has KQ2 Qxxx KQxx Ax and guesses right after the ruff. So I would lead a small at trick 2. It is as though declarer is inviting the ruff. Ignore it. It can wait.

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-April-23, 22:45

I’d be embarrassed as declarer if I held KQ2 Q10xx KQxx Ax and played the spade 2.

But even good players take their eye off of the ball on occasion. Anything but a club back means we’ve done the same thing

As for Cyber’s concern, I don’t think many would firstly ‘upgrade’ a medium 14 count ( if this is even close to an upgrade, they’re not playing 15-17 and should be penalized) and even those who inexplicably do usually wouldn’t then show a maximum by bidding over 2S: normal bridge is to pass it around to partner who can and should reopen if we have game.

Thus I am confident that winning the spade and returning a club is clearly optimal.

Now if declarer has KQ2 Qxxxx KQx KJ or KQ2 Qxxxx KQ KJx I’m the one with egg on my face, but I’m willing to pay to that.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-April-24, 08:10

Indeed it is case of timeo Danaos et dona ferentes. Declarer has failed to hide the two, so that you know partner has led a singleton, and does not mind the ruff. You should switch to a club, as most say.

Not found at any of the four tables in the Lady Milne.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users