• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Book Reviews

#256 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Rowing. Wargaming. Military history.

Posted 2006-November-27, 08:24

The Weak No Trump by Andy Stark

Decent all around coverage of teh 12-14 and 10-12 No trump. I was hoping for a lot more on how the weaker no trump affects your other bids. For example in ACOL a 1 Club bid might not be the 12 HCP 3 card crap it is in SAYC.
Half the book is spent on various (competing) response structures to 1NT, run out sequences, and defenses to weak NT.

I would have prefered that th author not emphasize and elaborate on his favorite response structure in such detail, unless that response structure is commonly used by experts. If Meckwell and Auken- van Arnim use 2 way stayman with the 10-12 NT then I'd be more willing to accept it.

The author admits that he could have written more on constructive bidding with unbalanced hands. :-( I wish he had.

I like his writing style, and sense of humor. I just wish there was more on the all around impact of the weak NT, and less on the conventions.

Good book, worth reading if the subject interests you.

There is another book
How I became a Life Master by playing the weak NT by Eric Luft that I really disliked. It was mainly his home grown system containing his favorite set of conventions, and had little to do with the weak NT.

Win the Big Match by Julian Pottage.
Eh, I didn't like it.
It's advanced, but I just didn't find it that interesting or useful. Some of the hands were interesting and I enjoyed them, but many required playing for specific layouts plus squeezes. Maybe experts would like it more. I found the Kelsey Test Your XXX series far more interesting, and those were non trivial problems. Eric Jannerstens "The Only Chance" was also more interesting.

#257 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-November-27, 14:55

Bridge Lessons at a Glance. Pamela and Matthew Granovetter. $10.95 104pp
Level=Int.
Grade=B

This is a tiny booklet that Pam and Matt have self published. I found it a short easy read and worth the bucks. Very short one or 2 page lessons for the newer player.

#258 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2006-December-12, 15:28

Defend These Hands With Me. Julian Pottage 200pp.$17.95 2006
Level=Intermediate/Advanced
Grade=C-

A collection of short 2-4 page defensive problems. I found that most of the problems were very difficult to follow. I was never sure what cards had been played and what cards where left in my hand and dummy. As a result most of the time I had no idea what was going on.

The few problems I followed were excellent and very tough.

For most intermediate folks or lower I would recommend checking out other defensive books listed in the postings.

#259 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-December-19, 08:37

How to Play (and Misplay) Slam Contracts by Fred Karpin

Good solid Intermediate level book on play of the hand. The contracts are all slams, but the techniques are applicable to other hands. Players from the 30's and 40's alos posessed good technical skill, and card reading judgment. The bidding may be a bit outdated, but the hands were good. A few squeezes, but mostly timing/communications/counting/card reading.

My main gripe with Fred Karpin's books is the hands are almost always presented Double Dummy, and you have to cover up the appropriate hands.

------------------------------------------
I also just reread
Step by Step Card Play in No Trumps
by Robert Berthe & Norbert Lébely

Great intermediate level book on NT play technique. Not just obvious hold ups, but blocking plays, timing, communications, and planning at trick one.
Clear, well done. The best book on NT play I have read (I'm looking forward to Augie Boehms Three Notrump in Depth )

----------------------------------------------
Bridge Lessons at a Glance. Pamela and Matthew Granovetter. $10.95 104pp

Intermediate level tny booklet.
Given the small size (3 inches by 3 inches?) its probably the equivilent of a 20 page book. For $11 I consider that quite pricey!

The material is good (whats there).

#260 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2006-December-27, 14:24

More Declarer Play the Bergen Way, Marty Bergen. 2006. 215 pp. $18.95 list price.
Level= Intermediate
Grade=B+

Another excellent book from Marty. I found the hands easy to follow, difficult but not impossible to make. He covers more of the basics with hand examples that are helpful and understandable. Another book from Marty worth your time and money if you are an intermediate level player.

#261 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-02, 08:08

Psychological Strategy In Contract Bridge ~ The Techniques Of Deception And Harassment by Fred Karpin 1960

There are 3 parts to the book.

The first part shows various psyche bids through the ages, breaking them up by era. I found some of the psyche bids from the early days not worth consideration, such as opening 1NT with 0 HCP. Some of the "later day" (ie 1950's) lead inhibiting psyches (like Zia uses) are worth studying.

I would have liked a long chaper(s) on when to use each type of psyche. The only useful book on psyching I've read is Zia Mahmoods "Bridge My Way". I got nothing out of Pottages or Mollows books.

There were some chapters on weak 2s (relatively new back then) and weak jump overcalls. All this material has been seen else where, but its still valid.

The 2nd part is on Declarer False Cards.
- disrupting the defenders signaling
- playing a card so as to cause one of the defenders to think the other has a card
(you have KQx and cover LHOs opening lead to RHOs Jack with the K, making LHO think RHO has QJx)
- playing the "wrong" (too high) card to fool the defenders
plus lots of others

The 3rd part is on Defender false cards
- against NT, LHO has all the assets. Lead 2 from A Q T 6 2, making declarer think you only have a 4 card suit, and its safe to finesse into your hand
- ducking plays
- playing a hard thats higher than needed, to cause declarer to think the suit is split badly
plus lots of others

The 2nd and 3rd parts are found in other modern books on deception. They are still valid and well presented. The first part was of some interest (the part on modern day psyches like fake cue bids).

Overall its a pretty good intermediate level book.
Worth reading.

One of the things you don't see is how often psyches work out badly, or frequency of bid. If you have a reputation as a psycher, you may derive some benefit if it causes the opponents to bid unsoundly.

#262 User is offline   starfruit 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-January-02, 16:52

Hi I'm not sure where I should post this question... But I figured since you guys might know of a solution.
I'm from Singapore, and unfortunately the amount of bridge book available here is very small.
I tried to purchase "Competitive Bidding in the 21st Century", "Win the bermuda bowl with me" and "Modern constructive bidding" from amazon, but unfortunately it seems like they don't ship books to Singapore.
Any ideas how I'll be able to obtain these books?

#263 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-02, 17:59

amazon, but unfortunately it seems like they don't ship books to Singapore

Sure about that? This page suggests otherwise. Probably just have to select some special international shipping option link at some point in the order.

Try also
www.postfree.cc (Australia based)
www.baronbarclay.com (U.S. based)
Both specialize in bridge books, I think they both ship international, don't know how much extra it will cost.

#264 User is offline   starfruit 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-17, 00:55

Hmm... still didn't manage to purchase it online... can't figure out what's wrong :)

However I realised that my local Borders bookstore can help order books, so I shall resort to that for now.

Thanks for the help given though Stephen. Perhaps I'll try your links out when I need books which Borders can't provide. :)

#265 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-January-17, 01:24

hmm I am really surprised..this is a very common book.....you cannot get it on amazon? Heck if need be I will sell it to you if you have no luck.

Just pay for shipping...rest is free :)

#266 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-January-23, 07:20

Swiss Match Challenge by Jeff Rubens. 1992 234pp
Level=Int/Advanced
Grade=B

Reread this book after many years. You bid, play and defend in several Swiss Team Matches. At the end of each match you also see what the other table did. Interesting, fun book that covers the 3 major areas of bridge.

#267 User is offline   starfruit 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-23, 20:53

mike777, on Jan 17 2007, 02:24 AM, said:

hmm I am really surprised..this is a very common book.....you cannot get it on amazon? Heck if need be I will sell it to you if you have no luck.

Just pay for shipping...rest is free :P

Thanks for the kind offer :)
I've got no idea why I can't get it even though they're stated as available lol
(It just keeps saying that those items can't be shipped to my country)

Not a problem for now though, since I can order the books from the store. . . until I can't find anything else interesting

#268 User is offline   Simpleboi 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2007-January-23, 23:48

Hi,

I am from Singapore too.

Have you taken a look at PageOne at Vivocity? There are quite a number of bridge books there too, although i have taken quite a few, at this time more than borders and kino :)

I can lend some if interested :P

Take care :D

#269 User is offline   starfruit 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-24, 00:30

!
Didn't know there was another location for books. . .
Ok thanks for the information. . .
I shall go take a look when I have the time :P

#270 User is offline   DenisO 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-24, 08:33

It would be great if we had an index to all these great reviews - any volunteers?

I'm looking for a review of "Winning Card Play" by Kelsey - I think I've seen it here but I'm going to have to go through the thread page by page :)

#271 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-24, 09:38

DenisO, on Jan 24 2007, 09:33 AM, said:

It would be great if we had an index to all these great reviews - any volunteers?

I'm looking for a review of "Winning Card Play" by Kelsey  - I think I've seen it here but I'm going to have to go through the thread page by page :lol:

There is a search feature that works reasonably well.

As for Winning Card Play, I think I posted a review on that one.
If not ...

Winning Card Play by Hugh Kelsey

Covers card play technique, similar to Victor Mollos "Card Play Technique".
Squezes, Trump Coups, Elimination & End Plays, Defense against all these

Well written, good examples, worth reading. Good overview. I'd read it in conjunction with some other books on card play such as Mollos book, and the Card Play Made Easy series (by Klinger)

#272 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-January-24, 22:41

First off let me say that Mollo/Gard....Card play tech.. I think is the number one all time book on BASIC expert card play(1955)? If you read only one book on card play read this one.

#273 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2007-February-08, 04:33

WJ2005 by Jassem.

The book sucks. The important things are the needles dispersed in the blah-blah-blah haystack. It's an annoying read, probably due to bad translation.

You're much better of downloading the WJ2000 book.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#274 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-February-22, 19:13

Three books by Martin Hoffman

Hoffman on Pairs Play - 60 interesting hands, where the reader must use clues or correct technique to make the contract. Some hands are presented double dummy and the reader must find the mistake. 2 summary points after each hand. Excellent book, one of the best I've read. Most of the hands are solvable of for an Intermediate plus level player. They require drawing inferences. The card play is not especially complex, so don't worry about missing the Backwash squeeze.

More tales of Hoffman - the Sequel to Hoffman on Pairs Play. 60 hands, same format. I was disappointed as the hands / clues were in general not as good. Theer were still some good hands, but also some "less good" ones and some complex ones. The book is still worth reading, but not the classic the first one is.

Defense in Depth - pretty good book. 60 hands, you are on defense. It seemed like the theme of the book was "how can I break up the squeeze" as taht must have come up in at least a quarter of the hands. Solid Intermediate Plus / Advanced book. Worth reading

Martin Hoffman also has 2 other books
- Inspired Cardplay
- Over Hoffmans Shoulder

Has anyone read them? What are the hands like? Are they like Pairs game and More Takes of Hoffman?

#275 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-February-22, 19:24

Washington Standard by Steve Robinson

A well organized, well presented book on 2/1 using Steve Robinsons methods. They may not be the best, and they may not be "standard" but the book is well presented. The reader can find many problem areas and reach agreements on many common problems and sequences. Things like what does it mean if the opponents bid over our Jacoby 2NT response. That alone is worth far more than using "the best" methos and conventions. The author presents his suggested signaling methods (he likes Smith Echo - and gives some good examples).

I enjoyed the book, just because it was well layed out and nicely presented. I probably won't use his methods, but if a person I wanted to play with did, this book would be invaluable in helping me get up to speed and agree on common problem areas.

This is not just a 2/1 book, its a complete system, with the authors suggested conventions.

Its worth reading for anyone above Beginner level that is interested in playing 2/1

• 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

12 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users