Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opening NT as per c.c. Point Range

#1 User is offline   robiche 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-February-02, 08:23

One of my Directors insist all or most Bridge Conventions can vary by -1 or +1 point.

So if my NT range is 15-17, does that mean I can open NT from 14-18.

thanks for your comments

robiche=BBO name

#2 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-February-02, 08:58

View Postrobiche, on 2021-February-02, 08:23, said:

One of my Directors insist all or most Bridge Conventions can vary by -1 or +1 point.

So if my NT range is 15-17, does that mean I can open NT from 14-18.

thanks for your comments

robiche=BBO name

You are allowed to upgrade very good 14 counts and downgrade very bad 18 counts if you are playing 15-17, judgement is allowed in the rules. If you want to regularly open 14 and 18 counts 1NT then the range 14-18 should be on your convention card and should be announced as such.

#3 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-02, 09:10

As AL is saying, what you actually play should be what you announce. I play 12-14 NTs, but Axx Kxx xx KJTxx is "obviously 12". With an old partner, our upgrade agreement was "A A K, or connecting honours in long suits" - that was announced "good 11-14". With another partner, we play "15-17", but we upgrade "average or better 14s", so we announce "14-17".

There are cases where you can't "use judgement" to upgrade hands, but you likely won't be playing down to those limits (only likely exception is if you play some artificial 10-15 2 call; Flannery or Mini-Roman or Precision).

HCP are a tool to value hands; they are (except in said rare cases) not the only allowed tool. The only two things you are required to do are:
  • ensure your agreements are legal in the game you are playing in; and
  • ensure that your opponents are given correct explanations of what you're actually playing (as opposed to what you have explicitly agreed).

When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-02, 10:11

View PostAL78, on 2021-February-02, 08:58, said:

If you want to regularly open 14 and 18 counts 1NT then the range 14-18 should be on your convention card and should be announced as such.

Should also be checked with regulations as for some authorities such a wide range may have different alert requirements or even be illegal at some levels.

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-05, 21:06

You tell your opponents what your actual agreement is - not *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink*, noone will know if we add a point here or remove a point there. So for example I play a standard Acol Weak NT with my partner. That is 12-14; but depending on position, she will describe it as "12 to 14", "11 to 14" or "good 11 to 14" because of differences in upgrading. If she were instead to describe the opening as "12 to 13", that would be misinformation. Your TD should be more precise with her/his explanations I think so as not to accidentally cause members to create such misinformation that may well be ruled against in a serious game.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users