Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to review previous hand

#1 User is offline   bob3940 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-September-19, 14:36

At the end of play BBO briefly displays all four hands then deals the next hand. Is there a way to stop the next deal until everyone has had time to review the last hand?

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-19, 15:15

View Postbob3940, on 2020-September-19, 14:36, said:

At the end of play BBO briefly displays all four hands then deals the next hand. Is there a way to stop the next deal until everyone has had time to review the last hand?

How dare you ask such an obvious question yet again.
Go straight to jail and do not collect your bonus.
Paulg and mycroft will now come down on you like a ton of bricks B-)

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2020-September-19, 15:35

What is the big deal?
Just look at the last hand in your history tab.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-19, 16:55

View Postpescetom, on 2020-September-19, 15:15, said:

How dare you ask such an obvious question yet again.
Go straight to jail and do not collect your bonus.
Paulg and mycroft will now come down on you like a ton of bricks B-)

Brian, You're not the Messiah you're just a ....
PS welcome to the Forum Bob Posted Image

#5 User is offline   bob3940 

• Pip

Posted 2020-September-19, 20:50

I did not realize this forum was such a hostile place.
It would be convenient if BBO would not deal the next hand until directed to do so. Other online bridge games do this.

#6 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-19, 21:15

The point is that there is simply no need to make a change. Those who want to see the next hand can do so, and those that want to pause and review the previous hand can also do so. Changing it to force a pause would just frustrate those who don't want to pause, which is likely a huge majority. (And adding excessive 'table options' is generally undesirable).

#7 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-19, 21:16

View Postbob3940, on 2020-September-19, 20:50, said:

I did not realize this forum was such a hostile place.
It would be convenient if BBO would not deal the next hand until directed to do so. Other online bridge games do this.

The Forum is full of strange but not really 'hostile' people.
Almost nobody that writes here works for BBO, so you sort of take what you can get.
Many of the writers fall into the following categories:
  • First-time posters with a question that they first sent to support@bbo and were directed to the Forum, where they expected (wrongly) a sort of help-desk full of BBO employees.
  • Jaded long-time writers who have seen it all before and make snarky remarks but don't mean to hurt your feelings.
  • Tournament Directors annoyed about players.
  • Players annoyed about tournament Directors.
  • Experts annoyed about newbies
  • Newbies annoyed about Experts
  • Intermediates trying to learn about Bridge.
  • People that think that the interface could be improved who are offering suggestions - these are silently logged by a mysterious entity who quietly works on them in a back-room somewhere.
  • Me.
  • Administrators who remove rude comments.

Your question would be easier to answer if you provided a little bit more information.
Where in the BBO platform are you playing? What system are you using Phone tablet computer, browser etc?
It's a bit like going to the Doctor and saying I feel sick give me antibiotics. The Doctor doesn't know where to start.

Let's begin again, shall we?

What exactly is your problem Bob?
Maybe then someone can help.

#8 User is offline   bob3940 

• Pip

Posted 2020-September-20, 08:22

View Postpilowsky, on 2020-September-19, 21:16, said:

The Forum is full of strange but not really 'hostile' people.
Almost nobody that writes here works for BBO, so you sort of take what you can get.
Many of the writers fall into the following categories:
  • First-time posters with a question that they first sent to support@bbo and were directed to the Forum, where they expected (wrongly) a sort of help-desk full of BBO employees.
  • Jaded long-time writers who have seen it all before and make snarky remarks but don't mean to hurt your feelings.
  • Tournament Directors annoyed about players.
  • Players annoyed about tournament Directors.
  • Experts annoyed about newbies
  • Newbies annoyed about Experts
  • Intermediates trying to learn about Bridge.
  • People that think that the interface could be improved who are offering suggestions - these are silently logged by a mysterious entity who quietly works on them in a back-room somewhere.
  • Me.
  • Administrators who remove rude comments.

Your question would be easier to answer if you provided a little bit more information.
Where in the BBO platform are you playing? What system are you using Phone tablet computer, browser etc?
It's a bit like going to the Doctor and saying I feel sick give me antibiotics. The Doctor doesn't know where to start.

Let's begin again, shall we?

What exactly is your problem Bob?
Maybe then someone can help.

I play in two social bridge groups, each once a week. One group uses BBO and the other uses Trickster. There are things I like better about Trickster and other things I like better about BBO. Its important to know that in both groups we are in voice contact through a 4-way conference call. With Trickster, after the hand is played all of the hands are displayed and we briefly discuss the hand. We then click a button to deal the next hand. With BBO there is no way to pause before the next hand is dealt. So my question was is there a way to do this. Sounds like the answer is no. I didn't think of using the History to look at the last hand. I'll try it but it doesn't sound as convenient as the Trickster feature.

#9 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-September-20, 14:45

View Postbob3940, on 2020-September-20, 08:22, said:

I play in two social bridge groups, each once a week. One group uses BBO and the other uses Trickster. There are things I like better about Trickster and other things I like better about BBO. Its important to know that in both groups we are in voice contact through a 4-way conference call. With Trickster, after the hand is played all of the hands are displayed and we briefly discuss the hand. We then click a button to deal the next hand. With BBO there is no way to pause before the next hand is dealt. So my question was is there a way to do this. Sounds like the answer is no. I didn't think of using the History to look at the last hand. I'll try it but it doesn't sound as convenient as the Trickster feature.

My apologies if my reply sounded hostile to you or anyone else, certainly not my intention.
I was just joking about the fact that like many such frequent and logical requests it tends to get a negative answer from long term users even before BBO.
My long standing suggestion to BBO is that it should be possible to allow a pause to discuss, even if the default is set to no. Maybe by giving people a 'next hand' button.

#10 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-20, 15:35

View Postbob3940, on 2020-September-20, 08:22, said:

I think that if you set up a teaching table then that would work. Also, on a teaching table, there is a 'voice' facility so that you can chat to each other.

#11 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2020-September-21, 11:01

You do have to set "reserved seating" to do this, or dealer will get booted for being unresponsive, but really, what's the issue with the next deal on the table when you are talking about the one in History? And when you're ready, dealer can make their call.

What it does mean is that one person is impatient, they can try to force the new hand. Where there's a "new deal" button, there could be three people that are impatient, as long as it's not the host - and if that button is available to all, you're in the same boat as on BBO.

But yes, this is a feature that several people have asked about since March, and zero people asked about before March. Not sure what happened in March (he said, blissfully ignorant of the world around him).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#12 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-21, 14:38

View Postmycroft, on 2020-September-21, 11:01, said:

You do have to set "reserved seating" to do this, or dealer will get booted for being unresponsive, but really, what's the issue with the next deal on the table when you are talking about the one in History? And when you're ready, dealer can make their call.

What it does mean is that one person is impatient, they can try to force the new hand. Where there's a "new deal" button, there could be three people that are impatient, as long as it's not the host - and if that button is available to all, you're in the same boat as on BBO.

But yes, this is a feature that several people have asked about since March, and zero people asked about before March. Not sure what happened in March (he said, blissfully ignorant of the world around him).

Aha! but not in Prime area Posted Image. I discovered it by accident a few days ago. It's there but not advertised.

Seems to be a feature of BBO that quite a lot of things are available but you have to search for them - apparently, that's considered to be part of the fun!

#13 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2020-September-21, 15:47

View Postmycroft, on 2020-September-21, 11:01, said:

This is what I was kidding you about in my first post :) It's not the first time you say this, but tens of users fresh from the world of f2f / social bridge have asked for this obvious feature. If all but one are pressing the "new deal" button then the fourth player needs a good reason to hold things up, but the software could easily handle that dilemma. Looking at History is not the same thing, particularly if you are playing on a tablet with the current client limitations.

#14 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2020-September-21, 17:04

I saw the kidding, and moderated my response in tone :-).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#15 User is offline   Viki64 

• Pip

Posted 2020-September-26, 03:45

View Postpescetom, on 2020-September-20, 14:45, said:

My apologies if my reply sounded hostile to you or anyone else, certainly not my intention.
I was just joking about the fact that like many such frequent and logical requests it tends to get a negative answer from long term users even before BBO.
My long standing suggestion to BBO is that it should be possible to allow a pause to discuss, even if the default is set to no. Maybe by giving people a 'next hand' button.

Yes, I agree about the need to have a pause button OR a button to start a fresh game. It feels irritating to be 'hustled' into the next game, without getting a chance to discuss the finished game - a sort of post-mortem, as it were, to learn from your mistakes. What is the hurry in starting another game? If you keep getting hustled into yet another game, you probably commit the same mistakes :P

#16 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2020-September-26, 12:21

And as I keep saying, what's the hurry? Provided you've set the table so that dealer won't be booted for non-responsiveness, what is the drive caused by cards on the next hand that does anything to "hustle" you or "hurry" you into bidding it, if that's how your table wants to play?

And if it's not how all of your table wants to play, then who should control it? The pausers or the players? And if dealer bids, what avoids "we haven't finished talking about the last hand" player from not bidding? If dealer is "bid pls", then he's the wrong person for that table and should leave (and probably will, fairly quickly, when you don't).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users