• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Using tournament breaks

#1 User is online   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-June-30, 06:18

Hi

I am assisting an SBU Virtual Club prepare a large Swiss Pairs tournament - eight rounds with a 30 minute break after four rounds. I believe putting the following in the description will do this:

+break4+ +bduration=30+

I've only seen breaks mentioned when using Howells so I just wanted to confirm a couple of points:
  • that it will work on a regular pairs event using the Swiss format?
  • will this work for any tournament director or does it need to be enabled?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Paul
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#2 User is offline   squeezergb 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-July-01, 04:44

It did not work in a 'clocked' non-howell event when I tried it 3 or 4 weeks ago.

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-01, 05:28

I've been told when I asked that these only work for Howells.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   pgrice 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-July-01, 16:12

Can't help with the question of who is permitted to do what ... but I played in a Swiss Pairs hosted by Bedford Bridge Association that used the +break3+ hack There were 16 tables and 6 x 6-board rounds with a break after 3 rounds. The time allocated for round 3 was increased to create the "break". We had 6 different opponents. About half the field played the same pair twice, at least 1 pair had two rematches! Other than rematches, things just worked.

#5 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2020-July-02, 04:04

View Postpgrice, on 2020-July-01, 16:12, said:

Can't help with the question of who is permitted to do what ... but I played in a Swiss Pairs hosted by Bedford Bridge Association that used the +break3+ hack There were 16 tables and 6 x 6-board rounds with a break after 3 rounds. The time allocated for round 3 was increased to create the "break". We had 6 different opponents. About half the field played the same pair twice, at least 1 pair had two rematches! Other than rematches, things just worked.

I spoke to the BBA and they confirmed that +break3+ did not work and it is only for Howells. They added time to round 3 and told a table not to play trick 13.

Many thanks for the pointer to a Virtual Club running Swiss Pairs.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2020-July-02, 11:10

I guess alternatively, you could add the time to round 4. Those that take the break, get it before round 4; those that don't, get it after (and gripe about how slow the rest of the room is, just like IRL).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-02, 14:43

View Postpgrice, on 2020-July-01, 16:12, said:

Is it possible to specify no rematches? (Also, how are the pairings done, since I doubt BBO converts the MPs to VPs).
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2020-July-02, 15:58

View PostVampyr, on 2020-July-02, 14:43, said:

Is it possible to specify no rematches? (Also, how are the pairings done, since I doubt BBO converts the MPs to VPs).

You cannot currently specify no rematches.

There is no conversion to victory points. It is more like what the Scandinavians call Barometer Pairs, so the pairings are done based on your current 'raw' score (either matchpoints or cross imps, depending on what you've chosen).
The Beer Card

#9 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2020-July-03, 08:38

I'm sure the effort to convert each "match" to VPs on the ACBL 20 point scale (sorry, Barry's in 30-land, i.e. "Win-Loss, with director tie-breaks", right?) will be well appreciated.

Yes, this is a joke.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users