BBO Discussion Forums: Play of the Hand and Defense by GIB - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play of the Hand and Defense by GIB

#21 User is offline   oldoc 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-August-13, 07:22

Let's all be honest. A GIB defensive opening lead is 6 to 5 to lose a trick. This is the one area that for years has screamed for significant change (that never comes). After a routine garbage opening lead Gib's subsequent defensive play improves.

#22 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-August-13, 15:58

GIB's opening leads aren't really that bad IMO in general, they are a bit "weird" looking in that they don't follow human rules of thumb, relying on statistical simulation, but the methodology is generally sound (except maybe should bias more against leading stiff honors etc. that tend to remove declarer's guesses). It's not like humans don't throw tricks left & right on opening lead also as it is the hardest card to select, with the least information available.

The main problem with GIB's defense is the near total lack of signalling, and lack of ability to interpret signalling, ability to bias its hypothetical possibilities of the rest of the cards based on partner's carding, line of attack, and inferences from declarer's line of play. The original designer had ideas about how to do such things, but it was computationally infeasible given the constraints of PC processing power at the time.

Anyway, it's a giant waste of time to complain about GIB's play/defense as their programming personnel just don't have the expertise and/or man hours to make it better. The real brains behind the project abandoned it almost 20 years ago in favor of his "day job" and other AI interests, sold it off to BBO who can't do much more than tweak the bidding database to fix a few bugs and plug some holes.

You can post stuff like that ridiculous Cappelletti bug in the post previous (preferably separate post per bug as is this forum's suggested policy), as that stuff is more fixable. Whether they ever get around to it, given their huge backlog and super slow release schedule the past few years is another question. Maybe barmar can leak some info on what BBO is thinking about robot plans these days, if it's not against company policy / considered important secret. I can see their side, they don't have a lot of competition and people still play a ton of robo tournaments despite their current limitations. So what is their incentive to sink a lot of money into improving bot or buying/integrating a different one, if people seem mostly content with the current mediocrity? The bot is a better player than the average BBO user.

#23 User is offline   kontoleon 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-August-22, 18:02

I try the bbo gib robot in dublucation

Sometimes if I press undo, on exacly the some possision play much deference card. I am sure if try to cound information from pre undo info but this is little wild.

#24 User is offline   kontoleon 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-August-22, 18:02

I try the bbo gib robot in dublucation

Sometimes if I press undo, on exacly the some possision play much deference card. I am sure if try to cound information from pre undo info but this is little wild.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users