BBO Discussion Forums: GIB finds inexplicable pass - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB finds inexplicable pass Is GIB trying to field potential psyches now?

#1 User is offline   jmunday 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-August-23, 11:27

I don't need to say anything other than this.

https://tinyurl.com/y6rtoxk6

I had something similar happen many years ago (GIB passed 2N with an even better hand)

How is this even possible?

#2 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-August-23, 13:04

Words fail me.

I had a similar experience at my club a few years ago with a pick-up partner, an elderly lady with hearing problems. I opened an Acol strong two bid - forcing - pulling the bidding card from the box. LHO passed, so did my partner, and RHO passed, too. Before the opening lead I gently suggested to my partner that the bid was forcing. "Sorry" she replied, "I didn't hear your bid."

I missed a slam, too.

#3 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-August-23, 14:33

It seems GIB doesn't have any bids for strong hands with one minor; 3 promises both minors.

With that shape and 16 HCP, it jumps to 7NT, and with 12 HCP, it bids 4NT. 5NT is undefined and the description of 6NT is 13+ HCP, but that must be one of the autogenerated level-based descriptions rather than a database definition - it seems they just forgot to program bids for the 13-15 point range into the bidding database.

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-August-23, 17:48

View Postsmerriman, on 2020-August-23, 14:33, said:

It seems GIB doesn't have any bids for strong hands with one minor; 3 promises both minors.
With that shape and 16 HCP, it jumps to 7NT, and with 12 HCP, it bids 4NT. 5NT is undefined and the description of 6NT is 13+ HCP, but that must be one of the autogenerated level-based descriptions rather than a database definition - it seems they just forgot to program bids for the 13-15 point range into the bidding database.

GIB should have a default action, other than pass, when a hand with substantial values fails to satisfy any of its requirements for other bids. GIB has such a default in other contexts.
For example after 2 - Positive - Any - ??, when GIB doesn't know how to continue, it leaps majestically to 6NT. Not always the ideal solution :( But usually better than passing :)

#5 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-23, 18:24

View Postnige1, on 2020-August-23, 17:48, said:

GIB should have a default action, other than pass, when a hand with substantial values fails to satisfy any of its requirements for other bids. GIB has such a default in other contexts.
For example after 2 - Positive - Any - ??, when GIB doesn't know how to continue, it leaps majestically to 6NT. Not always the ideal solution :( But usually better than passing :)

Jumping to 6NT is World Class bidding by GIB.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users