Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

+slow+ is 'non-sticky' Strange behaviour

#1 User is offline   gbb483 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-June-13, 10:55

I set up a table on Friday with +slow+ in the description, and with 'Permission required to play' set. Both in an attempt to reduce the propensity of BBO to indiscriminately boot players off. First problem was - it failed, I still got booted off, even though I was dummy. The second problem was that after the 'host' label was moved to another player at the table, the +slow+ in the description disappeared. This was in one of the public clubs on Casual. So was I doing it right?

#2 User is offline   gbb483 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-15, 06:16

I've just been scanning a few other threads and discovered :

All entries in the description are removed when the host changes.

Automatic booting shouldn't apply when seats are reserved.

So it begs the question - why do I get disconnected? I get no 60 second warning messgae, I get no 80 second warning. The screen just freezes and in 5 seconds I get the logon screen with the message 'connection lost'. Bearing in mind I have 15MB fibre, not 50KB dial-up.

#3 User is offline   gbb483 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-15, 12:43

For the first time in awhile I've just had a 2 hr session and none of us were removed ignominiously from the table. It may be a fluke, so I will await another session before hoping that I've found a solution that works for me.

#4 User is offline   queenie9 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-June-23, 22:26

View Postgbb483, on 2020-June-15, 12:43, said:

For the first time in awhile I've just had a 2 hr session and none of us were removed ignominiously from the table. It may be a fluke, so I will await another session before hoping that I've found a solution that works for me.

Can you share solution please .....we no longer see a time warning and players get booted out

#5 User is offline   gbb483 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-24, 01:04

I think the problem is related to a background 'handshake' between the client (your device) and the server. This is a very frequent signal - and when it gets delayed the BBO server decides you've absconded and drops your connection. I find that my WiFi / landline connection is susceptible to problems, but my 3G mobile connection works fine. I'm going to try a direct wired connection to my router to see if that helps. Playing around with options and description tags has no effect.

#6 User is offline   gbb483 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-25, 06:21

OK, even a direct connection to my router resulted in me being removed (whilst kibitzing). So I think the problem is the ISPs. My landline is BT, but my 3G iPad is EE. I guess its EE from now on. I will look at using the EE as a hot spot for a laptop - and hope the Windows 10 OS doesn't swap it.

#7 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-June-25, 06:36

+slow+ does not fix connectivity issues. All it does is tell the bbo software to not remove a slow player.

All the details you are giving in this thread point at connection problems, not at something BBO is doing because someone is not playing fast enough.

#8 User is offline   gbb483 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-25, 11:46

Precisely, which appears to be a problem a lot of users are having. So your client / server need to be able to differentiate between a slow player and a flaky ISP link, and recover cleanly when the ISP is being overloaded.

P.S.

This will affect the fee paying members just as much as the Casual ones - so if BBO is having trouble with losing players in their tournaments, they know where to start looking for a solution.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-June-28, 23:38

View Postdiana_eva, on 2020-June-25, 06:36, said:

+slow+ does not fix connectivity issues. All it does is tell the bbo software to not remove a slow player.

Actually, what it does is double the amount of time you can take to bid/play before being removed. It's normally 50 seconds.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users