BBO Discussion Forums: What does north bid? - updated for south hand - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What does north bid? - updated for south hand Responses to 1NT - strong open

#1 User is offline   phoenixmj 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-September-20, 16:47

The other day, we had this hand. We play a strong NT - 15-17 HCP. We will open 1N with a 5 card major.

Over 1NT - for minor transfers we play that 2S is a minor transfer, with the 1N bidder bidding 3c and then responder will correct to 3D if diamonds is the suit. If the suit is indeed diamonds, opener can pass the 3D.

Curious as to how you would approach this hand.

#2 User is offline   zhasbeen 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bridge, running, spectator sports, excel, keeping track of all kinds of stuff

Posted 2019-September-20, 21:02

View Postphoenixmj, on 2019-September-20, 16:47, said:

The other day, we had this hand. We play a strong NT - 15-17 HCP. We will open 1N with a 5 card major.

Over 1NT - for minor transfers we play that 2S is a minor transfer, with the 1N bidder bidding 3c and then responder will correct to 3D if diamonds is the suit. If the suit is indeed diamonds, opener can pass the 3D.

Playing GIB 2/1 in the robot tournaments 3C transfers to diamonds. Then north could cue bid 3H and take it from there.

The way I play offline is to use 2NT as transfer to diamonds (kinda). If opener has Kx or better in diamonds he accepts the transfer with 3D. With a worse diamond holding he makes the cheapest response of 3C

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2019-September-20, 21:05

phoenixmj 'The other day, we had this hand. We play a strong NT - 15-17 HCP. We will open 1N with a 5 card major. Over 1NT - for minor transfers we play that 2S is a minor transfer, with the 1N bidder bidding 3c and then responder will correct to 3D if diamonds is the suit. If the suit is indeed diamonds, opener can pass the 3D.'
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Assuming that the only way you can show either minor is to start with 2.
2 might also function as a range ask. Then

After 1N - 2 - ??
-- 2N = MIN.
-- 3 = MAX.

After 1N - 2 - any - ??
-- Pass/3/3/3N/6N = S/O. (Responder might not have a minor).
-- 3 = S/T with s.
-- 3/4/4... = S/T with s. e.g. the OP hand.

#4 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-20, 22:15

phoenixmj, I would show this hand the as a Diamonds hand with slam interest (and we do in fact have interest).

In your system (if I am guessing correctly) I would be bidding 3 as a Game Force with long Diamonds. In my system, I use 2NT as a transfer to Diamonds, so I would transfer and then bid 3NT, showing 13-14 HCP, 6 Diamonds, and slam interest.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#5 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-20, 22:45

In your "system", how do you show a game forcing hand with diamonds? That's what I would bid. If you don't have a sequence, I would change my system.

On my card, I would transfer to diamonds and then bid 3NT showing diamonds, a hand suited for playing in NT, and some interest in slam.

#6 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-21, 00:37

In the good old days of Walsh we used transfers by starting with 2then bid 2 puppet to 2NT. Then Walsh Relays allowed you to show solid or broken 6 card minors with slam interest.

On this hand I am tempted at matchpoints to just bid 3NT given the broken diamonds and Q9 of spades. But then who said I was any good at matchpoints?

What about transfer to diamonds and then bid 4NT quantitative?
I am not sure 3 cue really helps that much?

#7 User is offline   SelfGovern 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge (huh?), Toastmasters, Data Storage, photography

Posted 2019-September-21, 00:55

There are a large number of possibilities -- it depends on how your bidding system is structured.

Start with this thought: When partner opens 1NT, almost everyone has a way to show a weak hand with a major suit (transfer, then pass), an invitational hand with a major (transfer, then bid 2NT with five or 3M with six), a game-going hand with a major (transfer then bid 3NT with 5, or Texas transfer with six), and slam interest (transfer and bid a new suit, or transfer and splinter, or Texas transfer and then use key card)

In comparison, many partnerships don't have each of these situations covered. Your first step is to analyze your agreements, and figure out which hands you can show, and which you can't. Then you think about unused sequences and figure out if you can define some of those undefined sequences as a previously unshowable hand.

One structure that might work for you:
Over 1NT:
1N - 2C
2any - 2N : invitational to 3NT; does not have 44 fit with opener's shown major

1N - 2S - transfer to clubs

2N bad support for clubs
P Responder willing to play 2NT
3C - Weak hand with clubs, opener passes
3D/H/S - Slam interest in clubs, showing a singleton or void in the bid suit
3N Balanced slam try in clubs, non-forcing
4C Minorwood (key card ask in clubs)

1N - 2S - transfer to clubs or range ask.

3C Hxx or better in clubs
P Weak hand with 6(+) clubs
3D/H/S - Slam interest in clubs, showing a singleton or void in the bid suit
3N Balanced slam try in clubs, non-forcing
4C Minorwood (key card ask in clubs)

1N - 2N Transfer to diamonds
Opener's rebids:
3C - Bad support for diamonds
3D - Good support for diamonds (Hxx or better; some reverse this and 3C)
Over opener's 3C bid, 3D is to play.
Over opener's 3C or 3D,
3N = balanced slam try in diamonds
3H/3S/4C = unbalanced slam try in diamonds
4D: Minorwood (Key card ask in diamonds)

1N - 3D 55 minors; game forcing.
Opener's rebids:
3H: Agrees clubs with desire to play in a suit
3S: Agrees diamonds with desire to play in a suit
3N: Major suits well covered, desire to play 3NT

Now that scheme doesn't give you invitational hands with a minor, but it does give you the rest -- and often, knowing that opener has primary support for your minor is enough to let you bid 3NT on less than 25HCP.

Others play that 2C is nominally Stayman, but if responder then bids 3C or 3D, it's game forcing with slam interest in the bid minor.
Liberty breeds responsibility

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-21, 01:34

What does it mean in your system if opener bids 2NT instead of 3? What does it mean if instead of p/c over 3 you bid 3 or 3?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-21, 02:02

I think you need to discuss the meaning of direct 3 level bids. I would advocate for
3 puppet stayman
3 GF 6+
3 and 3 GF splinter with 3 cards in the other major

After 2 3 any bid other than pass or 3 is GF with 6+

#10 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-September-21, 02:48

We play 1N-2 weak with either minor or GF both minors, so 2 then 3 is GF both minors.

1N-3 = nat GF slam interest and is what I would do here

#11 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-21, 05:50

I wouldn't try to complicate this too much as a transfer to 3 by your preferred method of 2 or 2NT should automatically show a 6 card suit as far as I'm concerned, and then a cue bid of 3 by responder will show slam interest. It's then up to opener to clarify things further. 6 is at worst dependent on a finesse or at best makeable on a squeeze. 6NT might too be a feasible contract, but if you don't try to get there you're not going to get there (as my husband says). There's plenty of minimum 15 HCP no trump hands where 6 or 6NT is always there. And even if you are two aces light, there's always that horrible harbour of a contract of 5NT which I doubt would go down except with a bad lie of the cards.

#12 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-21, 07:26

I play 2 as range ask or transfer to and 2NT as transfer to , which is pretty much standard these days.

I'm puzzled why those advocating direct 3 level bids of 3/3 as GF 6+cards do not play them as transfer to the other minor, seems to me it would have almost no cost.

#13 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2019-September-21, 08:21

View Postpescetom, on 2019-September-21, 07:26, said:

I play 2 as range ask or transfer to and 2NT as transfer to , which is pretty much standard these days.

I'm puzzled why those advocating direct 3 level bids of 3/3 as GF 6+cards do not play them as transfer to the other minor, seems to me it would have almost no cost.

Probably because we play weak no trump and the hand bidding 3m is the big hand

#14 User is offline   phoenixmj 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-21, 08:39

Here was my thought process when bidding this hand. We - unfortunately in this case - do not play 4 way transfers. We will definitely be rethinking this although these hands do not come up very often and I will argue this is our first instance where it is this critical. If N had both minors, we have a method to showing that with game or slam interest.

I looked at this hand and thought - my hand is much more valuable in diamonds than in NT. Consequently - I don't like the idea of just doing a quantitative raise. A pass over my quantitative raise and we might miss a slam (or game) in diamonds, and a 6NT opener rebid is past 6D. Technically - even with 17 points in partner's hand, we don't have a NT slam. It can happen with a good suit, but seems iffy. If I "assume" that we will be playing in diamonds (our agreement is that we do not open 1N with a singleton) - then I want to investigate slam. I have a worthless doubleton - so if I say 4c (gerber) - if we are missing an ace I am at a loss as to how to proceed. We also open 1N with a 5 card major, so I would not be shocked to see partner with a 5 card spade suit.

I am thinking - even with the low end of 15 HCP - partner has to have a couple of aces. Question is - does he have the ace of diamonds and does he have the ace or king of spades. The spades are the real problem for slam bid, and frankly I don't see how to get that info with me doing the asking. So, if I get an answer of 2 aces, I am still guessing about 2 losers off the top.

So, how do I get him to do the asking.

If we played 4way transfers and I get him to bid 3D, it should be clear that I have 6 diamonds and if I then bid 3h, I can see that my partner would think something was up. Is this 3H bid a cue bid showing 1st or 2nd round control of hearts and slam interest? Is this saying we should be in game at least and you choose if you want to bid 3N if you have a minimum. Would this bid prompt my partner to start asking me for info and if so, how should he go about doing that?

I want to see some more replies before saying what i actually did and also show partner's hand. Then I will show all 4 hands.

#15 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-September-21, 09:05

Sir.We will only show a slam oriented hand by our methods. 1NT-2NT(TRANSFER TO D)-3C(min)/3D(max)--3H (Heart Ace) 6card D suit with at least 2 of three tops.If opener can cue spades then only we try and explore a slam.If he does bid 3S then on this hand we bid 3NT to deny any other ACE but guaranteeing 2ND round control in C .Then its upto opener .BY THE BY PS-We do not open 1NT with a five card major .We also do not open 1NT with two suits unguarded.

#16 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2019-September-21, 09:33

View Postphoenixmj, on 2019-September-21, 08:39, said:

If we played 4way transfers and I get him to bid 3D, it should be clear that I have 6 diamonds and if I then bid 3h, I can see that my partner would think something was up. Is this 3H bid a cue bid showing 1st or 2nd round control of hearts and slam interest? Is this saying we should be in game at least and you choose if you want to bid 3N if you have a minimum. Would this bid prompt my partner to start asking me for info and if so, how should he go about doing that?

I think you can see by now the case for playing 4 Way Transfers: the traditional price to pay was being forced to put a natural balanced invite through Stayman, but you can fix that by adding Range Ask.
It may sound odd as I have probably bored everyone to death here with my passion for control-bids (aka cue bids), but I don't advocate playing 3 here as one. I prefer 3/3/4 to be splinters, 4 as an invite to control-bid and 4 as Kickback. Showing (or denying) splinter gets vital information across, enabling partner to re-evaluate his hand and better interpret our successive control-bids. So I would be bidding 4 here.

#17 User is online   pescetom 

Posted 2019-September-21, 09:39

View PostCyberyeti, on 2019-September-21, 08:21, said:

Probably because we play weak no trump and the hand bidding 3m is the big hand

Sure, I was thinking about the OP strong no trump situation which I imagine nekthen was referring to.

#18 User is offline   phoenixmj 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-21, 09:43

View Postmsjennifer, on 2019-September-21, 09:05, said:

Sir.We will only show a slam oriented hand by our methods. 1NT-2NT(TRANSFER TO D)-3C(min)/3D(max)--3H (Heart Ace) 6card D suit with at least 2 of three tops.If opener can cue spades then only we try and explore a slam.If he does bid 3S then on this hand we bid 3NT to deny any other ACE but guaranteeing 2ND round control in C .Then its upto opener .BY THE BY PS-We do not open 1NT with a five card major .We also do not open 1NT with two suits unguarded.

Suppose north's hand is stronger - but still diamonds. If the bidding went 1N, 2N (transfer to d), 3c (opener has a minimum),

Now what - If north bids 3d I assume that opener will pass?
What could north bid to say - even with your minimum, we should be at least in game and likely in slam?

Thanks

#19 User is offline   phoenixmj 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-21, 09:51

View PostVampyr, on 2019-September-21, 01:34, said:

What does it mean in your system if opener bids 2NT instead of 3? What does it mean if instead of p/c over 3 you bid 3 or 3?

We have played a 2N response as invitational in NT - balanced hand.

I suspect we will be changing this to allow for 4way transfers.

#20 User is offline   phoenixmj 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-September-21, 12:07

View Postpescetom, on 2019-September-21, 09:33, said:

I think you can see by now the case for playing 4 Way Transfers: the traditional price to pay was being forced to put a natural balanced invite through Stayman, but you can fix that by adding Range Ask.
It may sound odd as I have probably bored everyone to death here with my passion for control-bids (aka cue bids), but I don't advocate playing 3 here as one. I prefer 3/3/4 to be splinters, 4 as an invite to control-bid and 4 as Kickback. Showing (or denying) splinter gets vital information across, enabling partner to re-evaluate his hand and better interpret our successive control-bids. So I would be bidding 4 here.

Question about range ask - Since we have not played 4 way transfers, I have not looked at this before. I see a Robert Todd article on Rodwell 2S - size ask - which I am going to guess is the same thing????? On this, it appears that it addresses the situation where the responder has a 6 card club suit - but I am not seeing anything about a 6 card diamond suit.

The article briefly mentions something about a super-accept of a transfer to diamonds. So I am guessing that this means to transfer to diamonds, you respond 2N over 1N open, then if opener has a weak hand they bid 3c???? 3D would indicate a strong hand and diamond support? But now the responder is playing it and in the driver's seat for the next bid. In this case, still have the worthless doubleton issue. Or can you start cue bidding now to show controls since you have 'agreed on a suit".

Curious - does this come into play here? Do you have a good place for me to read about this?

Thx,

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users