• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I HATE pre-empts ...bid by the oppos...

#21 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-January-10, 19:16

Mkgnao, on 2019-January-10, 04:21, said:

6NT is cold on this lay-out (1, 5 and 6 makes 12 tricks). 6NT in South could go down on a -lead if you misguess , but it is very unlikely for someone to underlead their ace against 6NT so you ought to get them right. Notice that 6NT played from North is cold (without breaking 3-0 with West having the length).

I disagree with all the comments fiercely criticizing North's second pass having seen all the hands. Assuming double is penalty, give partner AKx, Axx, xxx, Axxx. 4 is certainly -1, most likely at least -2. If you bid, partner will go down in both 5 and 5. The partner of some of the forum posters will go down even more in 6.

Your mistake is "assuming double is penalty." It isn't. It's a good hand that has tolerance for any action partner takes. The hand you provided should PASS 4S and take the plus. If partner can't act over 3S with a likely void, then you aren't going to make anything.

It's far better -- and near-universal expert practice nowadays -- to have the double as cards/takeout (yes, partner will very often leave it in) than to use it as penalty.

Cheers,
Mike

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users