Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

bidding this hand - dual fit responder's preferred bid

#1 User is offline   phoenixmj 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-January-09, 20:36

question - on the attached deal, most people wind up in 4 spades. Difficult to play because of the 5/0 split in spades. A few people in the tournament wound up in 4 hearts. Much easier to play.

At our table, the bidding went 1S by west, then 2 diamonds by north and 2 spades by east. We wound up in 4 spades. I think my partner should have said 2 hearts instead of 2 spades.

Also - if north had not bid, should east with a fit in spades and a good hand (7 LTC) possibly start a 2/1 with a 2 heart bid.

No one reached 6 hearts although 6 hearts was made several times. We usually rely on LTC once a fit has been found.

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2019-January-10, 01:56

When a fit has been found you bid to the level of the fit, except if you can manufacture a forcing bid that shows the strength of your hand and can then show the fit later. Many players would see 2 by East as non-forcing here. Being in slam here is nonsense.

#3 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-January-10, 02:21

2 looks a bit feeble (I would make that response without the A). An UCB raise looks about right and you will still play in spades. The 5-0 trump break is unlucky.

The_Badger, on 2019-January-10, 01:56, said:

Many players would see 2 by East as non-forcing here.

100% forcing for me and promising 10+ HCPs and a five-card suit.

#4 User is offline   phoenixmj 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-10, 05:54

Punched wrong button

#5 User is offline   phoenixmj 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-10, 06:04

Punched wrong button

#6 User is offline   phoenixmj 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-10, 06:13

When a fit has been found you bid to the level of the fit, except if you can manufacture a forcing bid that shows the strength of your hand and can then show the fit later. Many players would see 2 by East as non-forcing here. Being in slam here is nonsense.

For us - if an unpassed responder bids a new suit it is 100 percent forcing. In this case- it would show 5 plus hearts abd 10 plus points as well. I understand we have a fit but the hearts would seem to be valuable into - and responder will have another chance to just go to game in spades depending on openers rebid. Again - with a 7 ltc and a fit - east should insist on game and i think 2 hearts is a stronger bid.

In general - once you have a fit - do you abandon mentioning another possible suit - especially when lucky enough to have the other major along with support for opener? If opener had a stronger hand - there might well be slam interest because of shape.

I do agree a cue bid showing limit or better would also be better. We would still wind up in spades.

#7 User is offline   DozyDom 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-January-10, 07:43

...Who? Even the poor misguided souls playing NFB here know that it isn't standard.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users