BBO Discussion Forums: Mobile app 5.0.9 feedback thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mobile app 5.0.9 feedback thread Please post feedback, suggestions, bug reports here

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-September-26, 16:15

Version 5.0.9 of BBO mobile app has just been released.

What's new in this version:

Bidding tables, Teaching tables and Bridge Master practice (grouped in a new section called Practice).
Hand editor and Deal archive (in the Account screen).
Play vugraph deals (via Deal Source at your table).
Robot challenges - with an option to play Just Declare.
Star challenges - new type of challenge.
Create team matches.
Substitute in tournaments and team matches.
Directing tools for authorized members.
Chat manager (tap once in the chat area).
Other improvements and bug fixes.

Please post comments, suggestions, bug reports here.

#2 User is offline   cyrenman 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-September-26, 21:44

When I look at the provisional results for an in-progress tournament, it appears in a window too small to show everything and I have to scroll around in the window.

(iPhone SE running iOS 11, if it matters.)

#3 User is offline   cyrenman 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-September-26, 21:45

Having bidding tables and espwcially BridgeMaster on mobile is awesome, thank you for that!

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-27, 08:24

View Postcyrenman, on 2018-September-26, 21:44, said:

When I look at the provisional results for an in-progress tournament, it appears in a window too small to show everything and I have to scroll around in the window.

(iPhone SE running iOS 11, if it matters.)

Is this different from the previous version?

#5 User is offline   cyrenman 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-September-27, 12:02

It is different. In the previous version, I never had windows so small that they required horizontal scrolling. I am also observing that the windows for player profiles on Vugraph are much smaller than they used to be.

#6 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-September-27, 13:50

This is a bug - thanks for reporting it.

Most likely we will do another release that is primarily about bugs fixes before too long (the more serious the bugs that are found, the sooner it rates to be).

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#7 User is offline   ezwal 

• Pip

Posted 2018-September-28, 02:29

Hello,

I am using the app on Android and the default behaviour of the app seems to have changed. After it opened, I usually chose Duplicate MPs and in previous app versions, I played in the app itself. After upgrading to 5.0.9, when choosing the same option, a browser window opens . The app continues to stay open, at the login page, but it basically re-directs me to the browser for playing, so I have both the app and the browser running.

Is this intended behaviour, using the browswer for playing, instead of the app itself (as it was until now)? Because in this case, I could be logging directly from the browser and there is no point to the app, from my point of view...

Note: logging with the user name and password does NOT open a browser window and instead, it allows for playing in the app.

Thank you,
Daniel Steflea

#8 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-28, 04:48

View Postezwal, on 2018-September-28, 02:29, said:

Hello,

I am using the app on Android and the default behaviour of the app seems to have changed. After it opened, I usually chose Duplicate MPs and in previous app versions, I played in the app itself. After upgrading to 5.0.9, when choosing the same option, a browser window opens . The app continues to stay open, at the login page, but it basically re-directs me to the browser for playing, so I have both the app and the browser running.

Is this intended behaviour, using the browswer for playing, instead of the app itself (as it was until now)? Because in this case, I could be logging directly from the browser and there is no point to the app, from my point of view...

Note: logging with the user name and password does NOT open a browser window and instead, it allows for playing in the app.

Thank you,
Daniel Steflea

This is intentional. It's better for us to run these anonymous games in browser, for various tech and financial reasons. If it turns out players hate it and can't play this way we can revert to in-app anonymous games, but we'd rather not.

#9 User is offline   ezwal 

• Pip

Posted 2018-September-28, 06:45

View Postdiana_eva, on 2018-September-28, 04:48, said:

This is intentional. It's better for us to run these anonymous games in browser, for various tech and financial reasons. If it turns out players hate it and can't play this way we can revert to in-app anonymous games, but we'd rather not.

Well, I hate it, but since BBO membership is free... I can live with it.

#10 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-September-29, 00:41

Users on iOS 9.x and older were having serious problems with version 5.0.9 (profiles not opening when tapped, claim not working, various pop-ups broken).

There was also a layout problem on iphoneX (top of the screen cut for some users).

We released version 5.10 for apple only, which fixes most of the problems old device users were experiencing and the layout bug for iphoneX

If you're using an iphoneX or an old ipad (iOS below 10) and the app is acting weirdly, please delete it and download version 5.10 from the app store.

#11 User is offline   stacy 

• PipPip

Posted 2018-September-29, 09:32

Ah, thank you for this! I appreciate the expanded functionality of this new mobile app.

View Postdiana_eva, on 2018-September-29, 00:41, said:

Users on iOS 9.x and older were having serious problems with version 5.0.9 (profiles not opening when tapped, claim not working, various pop-ups broken).

There was also a layout problem on iphoneX (top of the screen cut for some users).

We released version 5.10 for apple only, which fixes most of the problems old device users were experiencing and the layout bug for iphoneX

If you're using an iphoneX or an old ipad (iOS below 10) and the app is acting weirdly, please delete it and download version 5.10 from the app store.

#12 User is offline   Anova5 

• Pip

Posted 2018-October-05, 22:19

Hi, I m using android 8.0.0. After I have upgraded to the latest version of bbo, I can't join my friend's table, as there is NO 'join' button after I clicked my friend's name. Is there a new way to join after upgrading the app?

Thx

#13 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-October-06, 21:02

Click on the button with the name, not the area surrounding it, and the Join button should show up.

#14 User is offline   cdh 

• Pip

Posted 2018-October-07, 10:47

Requiring browser use for robot play is awful on my Android phone. It is clunky, slow and makes weird sounds. If the change was driven by finances, I would prefer to pay and play in the app.

#15 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-October-08, 18:01

View Postcdh, on 2018-October-07, 10:47, said:

Requiring browser use for robot play is awful on my Android phone. It is clunky, slow and makes weird sounds. If the change was driven by finances, I would prefer to pay and play in the app.

You can play in robot duplicates, challenges, and play at a table with robots in the mobile app.

Only the anonymous games are forced to use the browser.

#16 User is offline   kronolith 

• Pip

Posted 2018-October-21, 04:47

There is a bug in the way some player names appear in the latest mobile app on iOS 12.0.1

A match this morning [21st Oct] in the Swedish Premier League between Smile and Zmrzlina had Törnqvist appear as 'T.rnqvist', Bjäring as a Chinese character surrounded by 'Bj' and 'ng', and Östberg as 'tberg' with some Hebrew vowel points below the 't'. All these names appear correctly in the web browser version.

I would post a screenshot if I could.

#17 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-October-21, 06:05

View Postkronolith, on 2018-October-21, 04:47, said:

There is a bug in the way some player names appear in the latest mobile app on iOS 12.0.1

A match this morning [21st Oct] in the Swedish Premier League between Smile and Zmrzlina had Törnqvist appear as 'T.rnqvist', Bjäring as a Chinese character surrounded by 'Bj' and 'ng', and Östberg as 'tberg' with some Hebrew vowel points below the 't'. All these names appear correctly in the web browser version.

The same problem is visible in the 28 September HTML preview release of BBO.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#18 User is offline   Defcon0 

• Pip

Posted 2018-October-22, 12:57

I sent a few things I noticed to support. They said it's better to use this forum. I will copy what I sent support at the bottom. I have noticed a couple of other things:

VUGRAPG:

1) When you join a table you use to be able to tap on the button, top left, that keeps a running tally of the imps or MP and a brief summary of the contracts and imp scores already played would appear. That doesn't work easily now. When you first arrive at a table it doesn't work at all. To activate it you must first tap on history button and then return via the play button. You don't have to do anything in History, just go there and come back.

Once done the contract summary button is activated and lasts until you leave the table. If you go to "Other Table" you must again go to history and return to activate the summary. When you return to your original table the contract summary button is again inactive and you must, go to history and return to the table to activate it.

2) Purely by accident I tried to go to the other table while the new deal was being displayed and the screens got mixed up. The Other table had missing cards and some cards we visible from the original table

Casual:

3) When starting a casual table I have noticed the slide buttons to all/disallow kibitzers etc. are not as sensitive as they were. I have had to tap 4 or 5 times on occasion to slide the buttons to the desired place.

What I sent to Support a couple of weeks back:

Hi,

Thank you all for the latest update to the mobile software. I am delighted to see the Return button on the Tablet itself being adjusted.

Now taking you back 1 screen and asking (in most places) if you want to log off rather than simply logging you out of BBO.

I also appreciate the mini account summary upon log in.

If I may add a couple of thoughts and please take this as constructive thoughts to fine tune the software. I am not criticizing at all.

1) When viewing mail it use to be that one could open the first mail message, click/tap on the next, read it, tap on the next and so on until all mail had been read. Finally closing the last mail message would take you back to the mail box. That is all messages previously opened would be closed. It looked like opening a message closed the previous one.

With this update, after all mail has been read one must close each message. So if you open say five messages you need to close each one, either after read and before opening another or one at a time at the ending of reading. As far as I can determine you can only open and view 1 message at a time but the others are still open in the background

Perhaps this is by design ad if so fine. I just found the older method more convenient for me.

2) Back to the Return key on the device, tablet or phone.

There are still two places where I believe it could be improved.

a) When playing a game – casual is where I found it - hitting the back button on the Device forces you to leave the table. You must be re invited by another player or restart your table.Again I would like to be asked if I want to leave the table, much like what is done when the back arrow is tapped in the software itself.

b) Go to Vugraph/Vugraph Archives and tap view for a previous match. The match loads but as far as I can see there is no way back to BBO. No back arrow on the software and hitting the return on the device logs you out of BBO completely. So if viewing a previous Vugraph one must log out and log back in to BBO to continue using it.

John (Defcon0)

#19 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-October-23, 08:28

View Postkronolith, on 2018-October-21, 04:47, said:

Foreign names have long been a problem in BBO, because the old Windows application dealt with them differently from the web app, and there's nothing in our user database that says which version created the account. There's a similar problem with tournament titles, it depends on which version of the app was used to create the tournament.

Why can't you? Upload the screenshot to a website like imgur.com or snag.gy, then paste the URL into the image tool.

But there's no need, we're aware of the problem and working on it.

#20 User is offline   LionHeart1 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-November-06, 15:39

I found the TD function in Mobile version 5.0.9 practically unusable. If I try to select a player's results, either see them or not. If I see them at all and want to modify a result, for the first try it doesn't succeed. If I want to modify it to the bidden contract, it will not be shown as a default. I must select it from a scrolldown menue, and this is on a tablet or mobile phone not very comfortable. If I manage to see a player's results (usually not) and I select one of the boards, I get a message "loading data, please wait" and nothing happens. I can wait forever, I will not see the deal. And generally the windows for giving in data are so small that it is impossible to read them. I suppose these are bugs.
Regards LionHeart1

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users