• You cannot reply to this topic

Cheating Allegations

#141 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-30, 18:00

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-August-30, 14:46, said:

Obviously I am happy to take the word of world class players that leading a club from Kxx QTxx Kxx Jxx against 1NT-p-p-p is absurd but would someone care to explain why? I personally would choose a heart but I rather prefer leading from Jxx to leading from Kxx.

Jxx is one of the worst combinations that you want to lead from. It is not passive lead, it is suicidal lead.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#142 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-30, 18:03

On the 3rd video hand, if East had held Qxx K9 KJ10xx Q10x, might he have opened the bidding? With nothing else to go on, that seems to me sufficient reason to play West for Q. Hence I don't think there's anything suspicious about the play of that hand.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#143 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-August-30, 18:03

Is BW still working for you all? I can't get in BW, and when I can it just works for only 2-3 mins at most.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#144 User is offline   arrows 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-August-30, 18:10

View PostMrAce, on 2015-August-30, 18:03, said:

Is BW still working for you all? I can't get in BW, and when I can it just works for only 2-3 mins at most.

perhaps it's under DoS attack. Just speculating.

#145 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-August-30, 18:17

View Postgnasher, on 2015-August-30, 18:03, said:

On the 3rd video hand, if East had held Qxx K9 KJ10xx Q10x, might he have opened the bidding? With nothing else to go on, that seems to me sufficient reason to play West for Q. Hence I don't think there's anything suspicious about the play of that hand.

The line chosen by Lindqvist in the other room looks better; winning the club, ruffing two diamonds and two clubs, and then playing ace and another heart; but he had some bidding from EW. When East won, he was endplayed, and if he is not, you can still find the queen of spades. But then, if you know where the queen of spades is ...

And nobody seems to have commented on the jump to 6S on board 4, which looks far too optimistic to me.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#146 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-August-30, 19:00

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-August-30, 16:47, said:

But hand 1 is the most amazing when...

What I find most amazing about it is that seemingly everyone thought that F-S were cheating and yet the Dutch player was happy for him to look at his hand. He is either very stupid, very naive or was unaware of the whispers.

The video against the Norwegian pair was particulaly interesting as F-S were defending much of the time. A possible leading code from these would be that placing the board down on the left show hearts, on partner's side spades, on my side means clubs and to the right (actually more the middle) for diamonds. Perhaps someone with some time could check that against the other publically available material.

The other thing is that I am not convinced pulling on the jumper means "bad break in trumps". Rather, I suspect it shows a singleton and Fisher may even have been improvising in using it as Dummy. But perhaps Boye has more to come on the code itself...
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#147 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2015-August-30, 19:07

View Postarrows, on 2015-August-30, 18:10, said:

perhaps it's under DoS attack. Just speculating.

I don't think its used to the load.

Every post is being forwarded to hundreds of recipients and the posts are coming fast and furious.

I am getting an enormous number of duplicate emails. I think there is some kind of concurrency issue.
Alderaan delenda est

#148 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-August-30, 20:01

View Postlamford, on 2015-August-30, 17:18, said:

It was down for maintenance I think, but back now. The video of the segment v the Dutch with the slam hand missing Jxxxx is on here.

Repeated for convenience as they say:
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=KHDSvRJkv6I

I think it is worth going to Board 4 at 36.00, where Fisher is thinking with xxx KJ x AKJxxxx , after (4D)-4S-(5D), and Schwartz then fans and unfans his cards and gives a quick crimp to the corner of the cards, which will always give a slight noise, but will be perceived by most as fidgeting. It would be unfair to suggest that this shows a void and slam interest, and Fisher was fully worth his jump to 6S ... The Dutch did well to save in 7D.

Does it have something to do with placement of water bottle and sweater?

#149 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-30, 20:08

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-August-30, 19:00, said:

What I find most amazing about it is that seemingly everyone thought that F-S were cheating and yet the Dutch player was happy for him to look at his hand. He is either very stupid, very naive or was unaware of the whispers.

I made a comment to someone about this. I think it shows how powerful the desire to not be rude is. Yes I know some will say it was rude of Lotan to ask to see and against the rules blah blah blah but this is very common practice in these kind of events with screens, it is so ***** slow and it gives the dummy a sweat. I believe the racecars did this too and that was the hand they were caught on. Anyways, if Meck asked to see my hand as dummy in a slam of course I would insta say yes, it is "standard practice." I'm sure Louk knew but he still showed him, as rightly or wrongly based on the etiquette of these things saying no would be a clear sign that he thought they cheated. Lotan is very charismatic and you can see him laughing with him and whispering to him before the lead, THEN he asks to see louks hand. It is very powerful that he said yes.

Sorry to be an armchair sociologist lol but I found that really interesting. A lot of being a bridge pro is like being a politician, people liking you who might then recommend you for a job etc etc. I can see why he said yes even though it seems completely insane, much like a lot of psychological phenomenons.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#150 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-August-30, 20:10

Ok BW made announcement that says "Due to high traffic we are having issues, we are working on it and we will be back in few hours"

#151 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-30, 20:11

View Postgnasher, on 2015-August-30, 18:03, said:

The hands themselves are not being used as evidence of cheating AFAIK. His play was normal. Just like the hand where he led a heart from Kxx was pretty normal (Boye made the same lead himself).

I dont find it normal to peek at my opponents hand while going to the bathroom and then to come back and do all this weird left arm stuff while you know your left hand opponent has the SQ. But thats just me. There are lots of youtube videos of them, how many other times do you see those mannerisms (left elbow on the table, then left hand scratching your ear, then left indext finger on your mouth while your left elbow remains visible to the other side of the screen)?

#152 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-30, 20:12

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-August-30, 19:00, said:

The other thing is that I am not convinced pulling on the jumper means "bad break in trumps". Rather, I suspect it shows a singleton and Fisher may even have been improvising in using it as Dummy. But perhaps Boye has more to come on the code itself...

I mean Boye leaked to Norweigan press (in the same article where he said he is hiding out in a secret house after talking to police) that pulling the sweater means...

I assume he has more than one hand to prove that.

#153 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2015-August-30, 20:50

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-August-30, 15:09, said:

Are you serious? You didn't watch the videos very well.

Louk showed Lotan his hand on board 1 before dummy came down. So that is how Lotan knew that he had a stiff trump. That is on video and not disputable, whether he signalled Ron or not is unclear but Lotan knew Louks trump holding.

Assuming sweater pull says bad trump split, no need to show if it is east or West. A "normal" 4-1 with East having 4 is discovered after winning and trump in dummy (West shows out). So no need to even "mention" bad trump split. This assumes 5 showed heart King and trump Queen, which it should.

--Ben--

#154 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-30, 20:57

As Bridgewinners is down, I can only see the videos and commentary here. Is the idea that these hands are indicative of signaling they do in other similar situations? If so, then that's really damning, but as a massive fidgeter myself, I'm sure that I've "signaled" things by scratching or twitching or who knows what. Partners of mine have been known to ask me what song I could possibly be dancing to as dummy.

I'm just saying that I find these hands to be interesting, but not damning in and of themselves (and yes, there is a lot more evidence, but this was supposed to be the queen). As there seem to be specific allegations as to how they signal (as in, it is physical, not secreted micro electronics--probably with the tray, and probably with the sweater or other twitching), then I hope someone will be providing analysis a la "the doctors".

I understand that it can be hard or even impossible to detect methods, and that it isn't always necessary, but as the alleged methods are caught on tape, it seems like somebody should be able to find them.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#155 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-30, 21:02

Still got a few cards to turn over before we see the royal :P

But from his site he did say:

"We will keep adding:

Video clips
Testimonies/reactions from third parties
Suspect boards
Detailed descriptions of the cheating methods"

He also told the Norweigan press some of the ways they cheat (via google translate):

" I sit on the videos that I shall present later. Some examples about that one player moves on the chair and that means they must play hearts. Other examples show that a player leaving in the sweater, which probably concerns that trump sitting askew. Yes, this can show the all-time scandal in Bridgeport history, says Brogeland."

The whole point is that it should not be necessary to know how, and that the Larry Cohen idea of just using hands without the knowledge of how will stop this earlier and is equally effective. Boye has made it pretty clear he has figured out the how in this case, the problem is moving forward how to stop this much much faster. It looks like the ACBL is going to enact measures to do so (but obv it had nothing to do with what Boye did!). It also looks like the IBF has convened a special committee (but obv that had nothing to do with how Boye did this). If they ban F-S then the ACBL doesnt even need to do it's own investigation they can just follow the IBF ruling.

#156 User is offline   captyogi 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-30, 21:28

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-August-30, 14:46, said:

Obviously I am happy to take the word of world class players that leading a club from Kxx QTxx Kxx Jxx against 1NT-p-p-p is absurd but would someone care to explain why? I personally would choose a heart but I rather prefer leading from Jxx to leading from Kxx.

but would someone care to explain why?

Inky Pinky Ponky, ....... ..... ...... ..... ......,
....... ......... .........,
Cx

#157 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-30, 21:40

I love the latest bridgewinners message:

"Due to recent events (*), we are getting a lot of traffic. This has caused our site to become unstable.

We are actively working on this, and hope to be back online in the next few hours.

(*)Steve bid blackwood with a void again and Bobby hired some hackers"
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#158 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-August-30, 21:44

View PostBunnyGo, on 2015-August-30, 21:40, said:

I love the latest bridgewinners message:

"Due to recent events (*), we are getting a lot of traffic. This has caused our site to become unstable.

We are actively working on this, and hope to be back online in the next few hours.

(*)Steve bid blackwood with a void again and Bobby hired some hackers"

I loved the previous one. At least it was asking a suit combination about how to take 4 tricks. I am still trying to solve it...

#159 User is offline   captyogi 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-30, 22:06

View Posthrothgar, on 2015-August-30, 12:07, said:

As I recall, I first started beating the horse back during the Tenerife scandal.

FWIW, I am starting to think that the record keeping might be more important than the physical separation.
I really admire the work that Boye, Kit, and the like are doing. One thing that is striking is how dependent this is on Vugraph records.

I can't help but believe that better record keeping would make life a whole lot better.

Who knows... Video technology is getting a lot better. Maybe something can be done if we have a video camera for every table, along with some software than can translate the video feed into a Portable Bridge Notation file or a vugraph feed.

= = = = =

One thing that is striking is how dependent this is on Vugraph records.

I can't help but believe that better record keeping would make life a whole lot better.

= = = = =

You are bang on Traget.

It is very very important, specially when you have to go through archives.

I had sent once one appended e mail to BBO Support

Pune

11-Aapr-2014

Dear Sir,

I wanted to study the Vu Graph of hands played in recently concluded Justice J.M.Lal Memorial Championship on 6th Apr, 2014.

However I find the records are haphazard ( player’s name are incorrect, sometimes player from other team is playing in opponent team,

Also Bidding sequence and deals appeared to have been altered, as few deal I watched, which are not there.

I request you to instruct to Vu Graph operators to upload deals accurately and as they were bid and played with all columns completed and not leaving blank.

= = = = =
unquote

I got following reply

= = = = = =
Hi Yogesh,

Please contact Buddy Shah, he organizes most of the broadcasts for India. I am
not sure if this particular event was organized by Buddy, but even if it wasn't
he probably knows who the organizer was and will be able to help with vugraph
operator instruction.
= = = = =
unquote

I got busy with other important things in my life and did not pursue the matter further.

However, BBO must Instruct Vu Graf Operators, Each and Every Detail of Vu Graf Broadcast is Uploaded Accurately.

#160 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-30, 23:13

Too many replies to keep track of, I apologize if someone already posted this.
Not sure if it's been announced in English anywhere, but I saw the IBF announce they're creating a "special committee" to look over this case. Not sure what its jurisdiction would be, though - probably they could ban them from play in Israel which isn't exactly earth-shattering for them, I would imagine.

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users