BBO Discussion Forums: Android App - Change Language - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Android App - Change Language

#1 User is offline   JP Montoya 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Wine, Computers, websites, F1, Android dev.

Posted 2015-June-03, 10:13

Hi
Just got a new version of the Android App. It's displaying in the system language, i guess.
How can i switch back to english?

Greetz
Martin

#2 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-03, 10:33

I guess that is just chinese version of Android App,right?

#3 User is offline   JP Montoya 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-June-03, 11:51

View Postlycier, on 2015-June-03, 10:33, said:

I guess that is just chinese version of Android App,right?

Neah,it is the normal play store version, switched to dutch.:) But even the card symbols are dutch like, which is most annoying. I am sure the switch to english is a piece of cake, only i can not find the option.

Well, if you can get me the source ill do it myself;)

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-03, 16:47

The app picks OS language, so the only way to make it English is to set your tablet to English. There's no option to choose language on the app itself. This is a new feature, we just released an upgrade to the mobile app which includes, among other things, translations. I'll post release notes after the new version is visible in Apple and Amazon stores too.

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2015-June-03, 17:50

#5 User is offline   JP Montoya 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-June-04, 07:30

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-June-03, 16:47, said:

The app picks OS language, so the only way to make it English is to set your tablet to English. There's no option to choose language on the app itself. This is a new feature, we just released an upgrade to the mobile app which includes, among other things, translations. I'll post release notes after the new version is visible in Apple and Amazon stores too.

Pity it isn't possible. Well, i put the old version back on the device, so i will keep using that one:)

Thanks anyway:)

Greetings,
Martin

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-04, 10:20

I just checked a few other apps on my Kindle Fire, I don't see any that have their own language setting, they all seem to use the system setting.

If there's enough demand, we'll probably add in a way to go back to English, but why should we be different from other apps?

#7 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-04, 10:54

View Postbarmar, on 2015-June-04, 10:20, said:

I just checked a few other apps on my Kindle Fire, I don't see any that have their own language setting, they all seem to use the system setting.

If there's enough demand, we'll probably add in a way to go back to English, but why should we be different from other apps?

I'm not a programmer, but I think it would be quite difficult to force the app to bypass OS settings and probably not worth the effort since language isn't all that vital in bridge.

#8 User is offline   JP Montoya 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-June-04, 11:00

View Postbarmar, on 2015-June-04, 10:20, said:

Many programs have the option to choose the language. Especially in countries where they have more then one, people like to switch. Further more the adjustment to the app are minimal, since english is already embedded. A few lines of Java code and a little selector is all.
In chat at bbo it is convenient to have the same card symbols, talking to other people abt cards.
What would you thing,"Hey, you sh have played the V....eugh oh you are french? I mean the eugh...." which is in French the jack and in dutch the queen.

Confusing.

Gr Martin
Software Engineer

#9 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-04, 12:36

View PostJP Montoya, on 2015-June-04, 11:00, said:

Many programs have the option to choose the language. Especially in countries where they have more then one, people like to switch. Further more the adjustment to the app are minimal, since english is already embedded. A few lines of Java code and a little selector is all.
In chat at bbo it is convenient to have the same card symbols, talking to other people abt cards.
What would you thing,"Hey, you sh have played the V....eugh oh you are french? I mean the eugh...." which is in French the jack and in dutch the queen.

Confusing.

Gr Martin
Software Engineer

I don't really understand the card symbols thing. If you are chatting in English, can't you just type "You should have played the J"? It's not like BBO automatically converts it to V ?

#10 User is offline   JP Montoya 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-June-04, 17:06

The symbols in the hands are different too.
Like AVB67 = Ace Queen Jack

As i said in French the V is the valeur? Jack

Diff, evertime u have to think abt it in the chat.

#11 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-June-05, 00:12

I have French Android for language learning. Mercifully, the French cards keep the AKQJ and don't have ARDV. However, a lot of the buttons have too much text in them, for example "Afficher les résultats" instead of "Résultats." Also, if I want to play an instant tournament, it will ask me to choose between "Marque par ..." and "Marque par 4" instead of a simpler MP vs IMP which would fit in much more neatly. I guess it's normal for French text to stretch on and on but at the moment it looks amateurish.

PS Happy belated birthday Diana!
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#12 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-05, 00:15

View Postgwnn, on 2015-June-05, 00:12, said:

I have French Android for language learning. Mercifully, the French cards keep the AKQJ and don't have ARDV. However, a lot of the buttons have too much text in them, for example "Afficher les résultats" instead of "Résultats." Also, if I want to play an instant tournament, it will ask me to choose between "Marque par ..." and "Marque par 4" instead of a simpler MP vs IMP which would fit in much more neatly. I guess it's normal for French text to stretch on and on but at the moment it looks amateurish.

PS Happy belated birthday Diana!

Yeah there's work to be done on the French translation. Will be fixed, sorry about that.

#13 User is offline   JP Montoya 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-June-05, 05:14

Well, the dutch is quite good. Didn't see any mistake. So no complaints there.
But keeping the card symbols to english is nice.

#14 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-June-05, 13:10

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-June-04, 10:54, said:

I'm not a programmer, but I think it would be quite difficult to force the app to bypass OS settings and probably not worth the effort since language isn't all that vital in bridge.

The OS isn't doing the translation, it's coming from the BBO app, which has message files for each language. If we added an option like this, it would just ignore the language that the OS tells us, and use the English file (just like we did in the previous version).

#15 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-05, 13:40

View Postbarmar, on 2015-June-05, 13:10, said:

The OS isn't doing the translation, it's coming from the BBO app, which has message files for each language. If we added an option like this, it would just ignore the language that the OS tells us, and use the English file (just like we did in the previous version).

I was picturing a menu showing a list of languages to choose from rather than an option for english / not-english. Shd let you answer this stuff ;)

#16 User is offline   alanrick 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-July-28, 08:57

A plea from me to be able to switch languages. I'd like to take screenshots for someone I'm teaching in their native language.

This is how iOS solves the problem for other apps and I guess Android supports a similar mechanism. No need to adjust the UI of the App at all in order to enable this.

https://photos.app.g...ZzmCm176mbSNnB7

https://photos.app.g...k6iwBnD6L5vhum9

(and this same mechanism might make it simple to enable biometric login to encourage strong password usage)

#17 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2023-July-28, 15:46

We've just added the ability to change language in the web version 6.9.0, so I think it should be in the next version of the mobile apps as well.

You can use the web version in the Android browser.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users