Posted 2013-July-14, 04:12

What exactly is a picture bid?
Can you provide an example?

#2 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2013-July-14, 07:06

A picture bid is what the name implies: a bid that gives a quite precise description of your hand. This bid is normally used in conjunction with a 2/1 forcing system.
For example, in 2/1, the auction: 1S-2C-2S-3s is forcing, so jumping to 4S instead of bidding 3S could be used as a picture bid, showing values concentrated in spades and clubs: KQx, xx, Jxx, AQJxx.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-14, 07:12

Not sure if there's a precise definition, and I'm not a 2/1 expert, but I think we're talking about say in a 2/1 auction where you have lots of other raise options:

1-2
2-4

implies basically lots of goodies in spades and clubs and nothing much worthwhile elsewhere, KQx, xx, xx, AKJxxx maybe.

Playing the bent version of Acol I play we have an even more extreme example:

We play 1-1-2N as GF unbalanced and including some 4 card heart raises with ways to shape out the 4+/5+ over the 3 relay.
We use 1-1-4 as "only cue me aces, I don't care about kings" so 1417, 1516, 15Kx5 type hands as a form of picture bid.

#4 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-July-18, 06:44

A picture bid basically draws a very accurate picture of your hand. This is afaik always some sort of jump, usually in a GF auction while it hasn't been determined if you should investigate slam or not. Jumps needlessly waste space, and when you're in a GF auction with an unlimited partner you need to have a good reason to throw away space.

An example that hasn't yet been given is: 1-1-4. Many people play 4 as a minimum but offensive hand with 6m-4M (for example Axxx-xx-AKJxxx-x, although some might prefer a splinter with this). You know you want to play 4 opposite a random 6 count, but compared to a balanced GF raise this hand has a completely different trick potential opposite a stronger partner. Partner only needs KQ and controls in to give slam a fair chance (KQxxx-Axx-xx-xxx is on finesse, while opposite a random balanced 18-19 count you might not even investigate slam). Jumping wastes lots of space, but your partner immediately has a very good idea about the potential of the hand and can bid accordingly.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#5 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-July-18, 06:50

View PostFree, on 2013-July-18, 06:44, said:

A picture bid basically draws a very accurate picture of your hand. This is afaik always some sort of jump, usually in a GF auction while it hasn't been determined if you should investigate slam or not. Jumps needlessly waste space, and when you're in a GF auction with an unlimited partner you need to have a good reason to throw away space.

An example that hasn't yet been given is: 1-1-4. Many people play 4 as a minimum but offensive hand with 6m-4M (for example Axxx-xx-AKJxxx-x, although some might prefer a splinter with this). You know you want to play 4 opposite a random 6 count, but compared to a balanced GF raise this hand has a completely different trick potential opposite a stronger partner. Partner only needs KQ and controls in to give slam a fair chance (KQxxx-Axx-xx-xxx is on finesse, while opposite a random balanced 18-19 count you might not even investigate slam). Jumping wastes lots of space, but your partner immediately has a very good idea about the potential of the hand and can bid accordingly.

I mentioned the equivalent of your second sequence, but for something different as we use 1-1-4 for that hand as we bid in other ways with the big balanced hand.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users