Page 1 of 1

Bidding on This One ATB?

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2013-July-18, 11:08

Hi guys,

just wondering your thoughts on this one? (Matchpoints)

obviously we want to at least dbl their contract, preferably be in 5H or even 6H lol

Thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-18, 11:15

Have I missed something, if clubs are 2-2 don't you make 6.

I would have thought W's pass over 5 was forcing suggesting something extra in the shape department, in which case E should see either a double fit or a monster heart fit coming.

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-18, 11:17

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-July-18, 11:15, said:

Have I missed something, if clubs are 2-2 don't you make 6.

I would have thought W's pass over 5 was forcing suggesting something extra in the shape department, in which case E should see either a double fit or a monster heart fit coming.

yes you're correct wasn't looking at it properly.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-18, 12:13

I think west did his part, and that east should double 5. West will probably pull for +650. Slam is too ambitious.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-18, 12:26

Should 4 be + here?

W is a passed hand so it can't really be a general forcing cue, because W can't have that hand, and it probably shouldn't be a both majors hand since THAT hand can just make a responsive style X over 3 and let parter show a preference at the 3 level.

#6 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-18, 12:31

View PostTylerE, on 2013-July-18, 12:26, said:

Should 4 be + here?

W is a passed hand so it can't really be a general forcing cue, because W can't have that hand, and it probably shouldn't be a both majors hand since THAT hand can just make a responsive style X over 3 and let parter show a preference at the 3 level.

why would 4 show hearts + clubs rather than spades and clubs please?

Thanks,

Eagles

#7 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2013-July-18, 12:34

The meanings of pass and double by west should be reversed - double should be an interest in bidding on, which then allows east to convert with the wrong hand type, while pass should be an invitation to double.

As it is, west only has one bid - pass. Now east has no further knowledge about the quality or distribution of west's hand.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-July-18, 13:01

View PostTylerE, on 2013-July-18, 12:26, said:

W is a passed hand

Missed that and wouldn't have happened at my table, 1 opener for us, 2 opener for quite a few people over here.

#9 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-18, 15:27

1) in general 4 in such auctions would be any 2 suits in a GF. it would be the wrong bid here though, because you want to play in 4 even if partner has only 3 hearts, in which case he would bypass hearts himself.

2)pass should be forcing and encouraging further bidding - i.e. showing more offence than indicated by 4. with a singleton diamond east could bid on due to the vul. he should be able to envisage a long side suit in the west hand for him to be suggesting bidding on after already jumping to game as a passed hand. it's certainly not clear though - imagine west with 2515 in which case he would bid the same way, but now you need to pick up the clubs to make 5h.

#10 User is offline   Galbrayek 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-July-18, 21:58

E should dbl, for W'pass is a forcing bidding, i think

#11 User is offline   Galbrayek 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-July-18, 21:58

View Postwank, on 2013-July-18, 15:27, said:

1) in general 4 in such auctions would be any 2 suits in a GF. it would be the wrong bid here though, because you want to play in 4 even if partner has only 3 hearts, in which case he would bypass hearts himself.

2)pass should be forcing and encouraging further bidding - i.e. showing more offence than indicated by 4. with a singleton diamond east could bid on due to the vul. he should be able to envisage a long side suit in the west hand for him to be suggesting bidding on after already jumping to game as a passed hand. it's certainly not clear though - imagine west with 2515 in which case he would bid the same way, but now you need to pick up the clubs to make 5h.

can't agree more

#12 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-19, 01:46

Pass is not forcing for me.

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-July-19, 02:36

Since the question is ATB, I blame the agreements. It looks like West thought pass was forcing and East did not. If South had bid 5 at their first turn then you might have a different ATB thread instead.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users