• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

USA Team Trials-2013

#21 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-June-05, 22:48

View Postmike777, on 2013-June-05, 22:38, said:

your Fleisher team/pairs really does rub many of us the wrong way......think about it

your pairs just seem off for some reason......but I am old.

Sorry, I never can keep those two straight in my head. Fixed. Thanks.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#22 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-June-05, 22:52

View PostGreenMan, on 2013-June-05, 22:48, said:

Sorry, I never can keep those two straight in my head. Fixed. Thanks.

YA BUT you miss my point really dude...

these pairs seem weird...even when you correct a minor point..a very minor point.

fwiw Chip taught me bridge in 1971,,,we lived in same tiny town.

for all of that you could put in KimmelJ or AllenA or CheriB from that tiny town.

#23 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-05, 23:02

OK I've apparently done something quite clueless and don't realize it. Can you fill me in? I'm totally not at my best tonight (not that I ever am).
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#24 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-June-05, 23:15

View PostGreenMan, on 2013-June-05, 23:02, said:

OK I've apparently done something quite clueless and don't realize it. Can you fill me in? I'm totally not at my best tonight (not that I ever am).

chip and lew
zia and mike

etc

btw I see alan sontag playing but where in the world is his old partner...you know his name....

he was an old client of mine in south calif. and one of my all time fav(prec) bridge players.

fwiw happy very happy to see Mike P and Eddie W......playing

sorry my friend Alex K...lost.....and is out..

#25 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-05, 23:21

Chip Martel and Lew Stansby played together for nearly 30 years until after the 2011 Bermuda Bowl, when they blew it up. Chip and Zia hooked up after Nick Nickell was able to gain Levin-Weinstein and released Zia-Hamman. Zia-Rosenberg was a good 15-20 years (Rosenberg wrote a book called Bridge, Zia and Me), and when Sontag wrote his Power Precision book, he had put in a few years with Peter Weichsel; playing together, they won the 2001 Bermuda Bowl. Weichsel now plays with Russell Ekeblad. David Berkowitz played 10-15 years with Larry Cohen after Cohen-Bergen broke it off.

EDIT - Dang it Mike777, you beat me to the first two!
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#26 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-June-05, 23:31

alan and peter a few years...lol? :)

Peter was my client(stocks) and to be honest a g-huge bridge hero for decades.

I was sorry to hear that the top, very top directors found him to be the worst in regards to behavior...when I was older he lived in the next town over.

As a young bridge player.....I find him at the top along with chip martel, who taught me bridge at 16.

kimmelJ...AlanA and cheri berjen are brilliant.

#27 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-06, 10:23

It's a tough call, I would guess, from a business standpoint. Apart from all the issues with playing four-handed vs finding a "good enough" pair so that the benefits of rest would outweigh the loss in overall skill, there's the "if you're thought of as 'up and coming', but not getting top-class sponsorship, is it better to make the finals of USA1 and just miss USA2 than to pick up the sponsorship you can get and maybe run out 5-8." Money on one hand, reputation (= bigger money, but later, and you'd better win your gamble) on the other.

Nickell, for instance, would be happy to have either pair - but would prefer Levin-Weinstein. If this team *beats* Levin-Weinstein, what does that do for next year's cycle?

Welland, for instance, is having a really impressive run this year - but has put together a team that basically says "I'm not making a run for the BB." Maybe he'll change his mind next year? I'm sure there are several sponsors in similar situations.

Double everything I've said if they actually *become* USAx. But yes, it's an amazing gamble.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#28 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-06, 22:30

From the indications I have Nick is pretty happy with Steve and Bobby; they have a history of winning, especially recently. This not to mention they have at least another year under contract, so no worries there. My surprise is that Zagorin isn't involved on team Kranyak, since Bathurst is on there. I'm also surprised that Justin's team is out. So far, it seems that they haven't made a deep run yet in any major tourney, and I wonder why. I have a few suspicions, but I'm not going to air them out, and I know if he has any, he won't either.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#29 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-06, 23:29

Don't be so sure Zagorin is not involved, just because he is not playing and his name isn't in there. Even if (when) they get a spot and add a pair, I bet he will be part of the infrastructure which we won't hear about.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#30 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2013-June-06, 23:36

View Postchasetb, on 2013-June-06, 22:30, said:

From the indications I have Nick is pretty happy with Steve and Bobby; they have a history of winning, especially recently. This not to mention they have at least another year under contract, so no worries there. My surprise is that Zagorin isn't involved on team Kranyak, since Bathurst is on there. I'm also surprised that Justin's team is out. So far, it seems that they haven't made a deep run yet in any major tourney, and I wonder why. I have a few suspicions, but I'm not going to air them out, and I know if he has any, he won't either.

We just didn't play well enough lol. Don't think there's that much more to it than that. It has been a very disappointing cycle but at least we had 3rd in the reisinger I guess. It is hard to make runs without playing really well. For instance, in this event we lost to the kranyak team and then we won a match then we lost to berk/sontag pepsi/seamon gordon/pratap. There are just lots of good bridge players and in general to win you have to be in great form and playing your best. We def were not.

#31 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-June-07, 08:41

Yeh, we are going to see fortunes fluctuate among all the pairs/teams in the big competitions. Not to fret; JL and BH and crew will be just fine.

#32 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-June-07, 17:42

Still 4 sets to go but Bathurst team reminds me of previous "high school drops" who just won everyone and later almost won the BB.

I am cheering for the youngsters, i always do. Especially after seeing 6 men team players, whose names are among bridge gods, frequently making HUGE card play errors. Such as playing declarer for 4 card hearts when declarer opened 1NT and responded 2 over stayman and more...Years must be taking its tolls on older players. I am just happy USA has a lot of talented youngsters to represent the countr internationally. It is quite a success imo if we think the average age in ACBL.

They are playing better, bidding better than their probably once mentors.

I hope they win. I wish Justin was among them too, i really wanted to see him in BB again.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#33 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-07, 23:52

I still maintain that Grue-Lall is the partnership you want, but barring that I will list the most desirable AVAILABLE partnerships, in order of what I think. I am assuming that Meck-well, Levin-stein, Greco-Hampson, and Sontag-Berkowitz are unavailable for the list.

1.) Fleisher - Kamil
2.) Diamond - Platnik
3.) Grue - Cheek
4.) Gitelman - Moss
5a.) Hurd- Woolridge
5b.) Hamman - Lall
7.) Josh Donn - Roger Lee

I wouldn't mind seeing any of these partnerships make the team, but the one I really want to see is Donn - Lee. I strongly believe that the team would be better off with a younger pair like this one. I bet the team dynamic would be greater, and I posted on the USBF 2013 trials under BBO News that I bet the 2011 Blue Ribbon Pairs winner would aid in kicking ass and taking names.

-Alfred Sheinwold

#34 User is offline   1stpanda 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-June-08, 00:16

All you people speculating about team Kranyak auctioning off the 3rd pair slot for the BB if they get there ought to read the conditions of contest. Seriously, folks, the organizers of this event know more about bridge and bridge players than you do.

#35 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-08, 00:37

View Post1stpanda, on 2013-June-08, 00:16, said:

All you people speculating about team Kranyak auctioning off the 3rd pair slot for the BB if they get there ought to read the conditions of contest. Seriously, folks, the organizers of this event know more about bridge and bridge players than you do.

Seriously? SERIOUSLY??? Read Page 8 and Page 9 of the USBF CoC where it says that the team is allowed to recommend one or more players to fill up to 6 people on a team. While money could potentially be an issue, Fleisher-Kamil and Diamond-Platnik both have the ability and the history to be approved hands down. Why can't they have a little bidding war to see who team Kranyak nominates, when they qualify? Money isn't always a bad thing, and in this case having the money to get someone like Chip Martel as a coach and Curtis Cheek as NPC is a great idea. I would be slightly worried that the committee wouldn't 100% pass a pair like that, but the reason that it might fail could come down to pettiness/anger/jealosy.

-Alfred Sheinwold

#36 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-June-08, 12:29

6 of 8 segment is about to be over and i see Kranyak playing 6 which makes after A lead when Zia went down in 3NT.

Should Fleisher withdraw 2 sets to go if the gap is way too much, to save energy for USA2 match ?
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#37 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-08, 12:46

View PostMrAce, on 2013-June-08, 12:29, said:

Should Fleisher withdraw 2 sets to go if the gap is way too much, to save energy for USA2 match ?

I certainly would. They need 3.6 IMPs/board over the last 31 boards as I type this. EDIT: 3.2 and change in 30. Still more than I'd care to try, though there's an argument for playing one more set now just to see.

#38 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-June-08, 12:50

Withdrawing would be a competent decision. They are not playing for the amusement of the spectators; they need the rest.

#39 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2013-June-08, 13:22

View PostGreenMan, on 2013-June-08, 12:46, said:

I certainly would. They need 3.6 IMPs/board over the last 31 boards as I type this. EDIT: 3.2 and change in 30. Still more than I'd care to try, though there's an argument for playing one more set now just to see.

Yes, last 2 boards thet gained chunk of imps, i am sure they wull play at least 1 more set.

#40 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2013-June-08, 14:36

You realize tehy could pick up 100 in 32 boards. Lol at the BBF and vugraph commentators who always expect a WD.

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users