BBO Discussion Forums: BBO Mobile App Version 3.50 Comments Thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

BBO Mobile App Version 3.50 Comments Thread

#41 User is offline   JRG 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-March-26, 10:19

1eyedjack, on 2013-March-24, 02:49, said:

At present the football-shaped ball in the top left corner of a table screen, which displays the vul and board number, is used purely for display purposes. It strikes me that there is an opportunity for it to be used as a clickable button without using up any screen space.
[...]

It is I think an inevitable consequence of trying to design something to fit onto a phone-sized screen that you do not have the luxury of labelling all the buttons and the user just has to get used to it. That is an observation I have discovered about Android generally having now used it for a few weeks in a variety of apps.

In any case, it is not like there is no precedent for making unlabelled screen space clickable even in the BBO mobile app. We can already click on the final contract to get the auction, or the score to date to get the last trick revealed, and it is only by actually clicking on these areas that the user ever becomes aware of the potential.

I agree with what you have said. These issues apply to the iOS as well as Android.
JRG

#42 User is offline   JRG 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-26, 12:40

I use the app on an iPad and have now had sufficient experience using it to be able to comment more intelligently (I hope!). I prefer to use the web browser version on a large screen, but the mobile app is sometimes more convenient.

• Both the mobile and browser versions need an implementation of the Chatroom. As mentioned in the Chat with Fred, this was a great feature of the old Windows program. Great for chatting to partner about bridge related topics.
  • On the iPad, there appears to be a lot of space wasted with decoration. The faux-wood stuff. etc. I'm not an UI expert, but couldn't what little screen real estate there is, be used more effectively?
  • As suggested by at least one other: Logging out is a pain. It would be nice to have a one-click method of doing this (or a choice on a drop-down menu)
  • It would also be nice to have a "quit this app" rather than just send it into the background (but that applies to all iPad apps :angry: )
  • The method of checking scores when watching a team game (including Vugraph) seems tedious. I especially dislike the present deal being off-screen (I watched some of the Vanderbilt on my computer and some on my iPad).

JRG

#43 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-28, 20:46

JRG, on 2013-March-26, 12:40, said:

I use the app on an iPad and have now had sufficient experience using it to be able to comment more intelligently (I hope!). I prefer to use the web browser version on a large screen, but the mobile app is sometimes more convenient.

• Both the mobile and browser versions need an implementation of the Chatroom. As mentioned in the Chat with Fred, this was a great feature of the old Windows program. Great for chatting to partner about bridge related topics.
  • On the iPad, there appears to be a lot of space wasted with decoration. The faux-wood stuff. etc. I'm not an UI expert, but couldn't what little screen real estate there is, be used more effectively?
  • As suggested by at least one other: Logging out is a pain. It would be nice to have a one-click method of doing this (or a choice on a drop-down menu)
  • It would also be nice to have a "quit this app" rather than just send it into the background (but that applies to all iPad apps :angry: )
  • The method of checking scores when watching a team game (including Vugraph) seems tedious. I especially dislike the present deal being off-screen (I watched some of the Vanderbilt on my computer and some on my iPad).

I agree with the above.
Also, I am probably reiterating here, but on an iPad, the native "powerdown" options need to be shut-off.

Horribly irritating, for example, to keep having the iPad shutdown while kibbing Vanderbilt- This falls into the "are you kidding me" category. I have to keep touching my screen??!!

#44 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-29, 08:07

FM75, on 2013-March-28, 20:46, said:

I agree with the above.
Also, I am probably reiterating here, but on an iPad, the native "powerdown" options need to be shut-off.

Horribly irritating, for example, to keep having the iPad shutdown while kibbing Vanderbilt- This falls into the "are you kidding me" category. I have to keep touching my screen??!!

There is no way for the app to prevent this from happening, but your iPad has a setting that can stop this or slow it down.

Good news is that, in the next version, inactivity will not result in a disconnection from BBO until roughly 10 minutes has elapsed. This was not possible until the most recent release of the development software that was used to create the app. Perhaps a future version of that software will allow me to address the issue you describe but for now I can't do anything about that (sorry).

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#45 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-29, 10:41

I'm not sure how it does it, but there's an app on my iPad ("Logic Games") that has a setting that disables the powerdown - when it's set, the iPad screen stays on until you exit the app.

#46 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-29, 12:24

Antrax, on 2013-March-29, 10:41, said:

I'm not sure how it does it, but there's an app on my iPad ("Logic Games") that has a setting that disables the powerdown - when it's set, the iPad screen stays on until you exit the app.

I will take another look at the documentation. Last time I checked (a few months ago) there was no solution. Maybe something has changed. If so then I will try to get this to work in the next version.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#47 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-05, 14:07

I see that ver 3.60 is out. Is there a summary of changes somewhere?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#48 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-April-08, 08:47

The announcement should be posted in a couple of days when the iOS version is approved by Apple.

#49 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-April-09, 13:53

Version 3.60 is now available. You can read more about it here:

Click to read more about version 3.60

I am closing this topic. I will create a new one when you can post feedback pertaining to version 3.60.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users