BBO Discussion Forums: BBO Mobile App Version 3.50 Comments Thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

BBO Mobile App Version 3.50 Comments Thread

#21 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-10, 12:16

Bit of help please. What is the easiest way of displaying a list of kibitzers at a table at which I am seated when using mobile app?
Incidentally as a suggestion for the future it would be nice if the interface permanently displayed the number of kibbers at any instant, which dynamically changed as kibbers came and left. Maybe then you could click on the number to display a list.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#22 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-February-13, 17:05

Ok re. last post, have found list of kibbers. Click on 'more', then 'who is online', then spin dial to category 'kibitzers'.
A 3-click process. Well 2 if the spin dial is pre-set to kibitzers.
It may just be me but I dislike this.
Mainly because you have to go through the entire process just to tell whether there ARE any kibbers, let alone who they are.
And there is the fact that the list does not auto-refresh when kibbers join or leave.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#23 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-February-14, 01:08

When logging in it is nice that the local machine remembers (assuming so opted) the id and password from previous login.
For those with more than one log in id it would be nice if it remembered additional id details when used without forgetting previous. Where it has been asked to remember more than one id it would present as default the last used id but with a drop down arrow prompting you to change if desired.

This suggestion equally applies to the main web client.

#24 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-February-16, 09:50

It may be just me doing something wrong but it seems to me that there ought to be a button to force a page refresh whenever there is something on the page which is subject to potential change but which does not get auto-refreshed by the server on a relevant change event.

Obvious example is when viewing list of open tables in club before joining one.

In case relevant, android jellybean on galaxy note 10.1

If in doubt it may be simpler just to have it as a standard button on every page. At worst it may be redundant on occasion, but it saves on the possibility of missing an appropriate occasion

#25 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-February-16, 13:03

Is there a 1-click option to log off in android app? I have an app-killer app and task manager in jellybean is ok, but still takes several clicks. Within the bbo app it takes about the same number of clicks from sat at table: Back-Yes-Back-Back-LogOff. May have missed a Back.

#26 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-February-16, 15:32

View Post1eyedjack, on 2013-February-16, 13:03, said:

Is there a 1-click option to log off in android app? I have an app-killer app and task manager in jellybean is ok, but still takes several clicks. Within the bbo app it takes about the same number of clicks from sat at table: Back-Yes-Back-Back-LogOff. May have missed a Back.

You asked the same thing a few days ago. There was no answer because there isn't one. The only screen with a logoff button is the main screen; that button becomes "Back" everywhere else.

There's only so much screen real estate on a cellphone. If we wanted to provide easy access to Logout from all screens, I think it would have to be in the triangle pop-up menu, so it would be a 2-click option.

#27 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-February-16, 22:24

View Postbarmar, on 2013-February-16, 15:32, said:

You asked the same thing a few days ago. There was no answer because there isn't one. The only screen with a logoff button is the main screen; that button becomes "Back" everywhere else.

There's only so much screen real estate on a cellphone. If we wanted to provide easy access to Logout from all screens, I think it would have to be in the triangle pop-up menu, so it would be a 2-click option.

I assume you refer to q1 of my post of 09 feb. There are similarities but they differ. The earlier q bemoaned that log off did not kill the app. The later q bemoaned the absence of either option anywhere but on the main home page.

Sorry I was forgetting those playing on cellphones. I am on tablet with 10 inches of screen real estate. Wonder if it is possible for the software to detect the diff and customise accordingly

Incidentally, regarding killing the app, I agree that it makes sense not to have that option anywhere other than on the login screen to which you are taken back after logging off. But that login screen has only 4 buttons on it at present. Plenty of room for a close app button. Even for those on phones.

#28 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-February-17, 03:41

I think there are a couple of improvements to the way that private chat to a player behaves.

1) If private chat is disabled because recipient is in a tourney, i would like an option to send the message to mailbox.

2) Failing that I would prefer it if a message popped up to say that private chat is disabled at the instant of opening the compose message window rather than at present when hitting send after having wasted time composing the message.

Combining both of the above, ideally I would tap on the name, message pops saying private chat disabled, and same message has 2 buttons: cancel or post to mailbox. Select the latter and compose message window appears. Then hitting send posts to mailbox. Exceptionally if private chat becomes enabled by the time you hit send then live chat would override mailbox selection. Cancel button would be auto-selected by server after a timeout period.

I have a feeling that this suggestion may be relevant to the flash version also.

#29 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-February-18, 16:17

I expect this has already been thought of and discarded as too hard to implement, but I would prefer it if the chat that scrolls off the top of the window could be retrieved by dragging it back into view - at least the chat that took place during the current login session.

#30 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-February-18, 18:26

The chat window scrolls normally, you should be able to drag old chat into view.

#31 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-February-19, 00:10

View Postbarmar, on 2013-February-18, 18:26, said:

The chat window scrolls normally, you should be able to drag old chat into view.

Thanks. Have re-checked and this does not work on my tablet. No chat scroll.

#32 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-19, 08:46

View Post1eyedjack, on 2013-February-19, 00:10, said:

Thanks. Have re-checked and this does not work on my tablet. No chat scroll.

I had to disable chat scrolling for Android devices because it was causing problems that I could not figure out how to fix. It is enabled for iPad and iPhone.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#33 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-February-23, 02:19

At present, at least on my machine (Galaxy Note 10.1, Jellybean), the "open tables" button is disabled when that was the last button pressed, ie while list of open tables is the current view. It would make refreshing the screen a one-click process, without using up any screen real estate, if that button were to remain an active clickable button permanently.

Colour-coding the buttons may require careful thought. You would want to retain a distinction between open tables and full tables buttons so that you knew which option you are currently viewing. One option would be to leave the colours unchanged. That might confuse because users might not appreciate that the greyed button is still active and clickable. But it might be the least of evils.

#34 User is offline   alanrick 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-March-09, 07:06

Hi Fred,I love the iPad version. Even though I don't trust my fingers and touch for a tournament it's great for practicing.
What I miss most is the ability to review past games I've played (in web through "my BBO".) It's strange this isn't available because the complex part (reviewing my results or their results) is available if they've just been played (eg practicing anonymously.)
The other thing I miss is being able to start a practice table (bidding with a partner) after I've logged in.Alan.

#35 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-09, 07:11

View Postalanrick, on 2013-March-09, 07:06, said:

Hi Fred,I love the iPad version. Even though I don't trust my fingers and touch for a tournament it's great for practicing.
What I miss most is the ability to review past games I've played (in web through "my BBO".) It's strange this isn't available because the complex part (reviewing my results or their results) is available if they've just been played (eg practicing anonymously.)
The other thing I miss is being able to start a practice table (bidding with a partner) after I've logged in.Alan.

The next version will allow you to review recent hands that you played, recent tournament results, and what happened at other tables in your recent tournaments.

Not clear when we will make it possible to host bidding tables, but I am sure it will happen eventually.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#36 User is offline   alanrick 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-09, 10:19

Wonderful Fred,
That's exactly the order of preference that I had. Reviewing your hands after a tournament or friendly from the comfort of a sofa would be just perfect.
Alan

#37 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-March-18, 07:39

If I click to join a table, and the server returns the message "error, could not join the table", typically because someone else got there before me, it would be helpful if the server used that ping as prompt to refresh the list of open tables, OK, I get that unlike Windows version we cannot have an instant autorefresh whenever the listing changes and we need to page the server manually for an update. All that I suggest is that the attempt to join could act as such a request (if joining the table is rejected for whatever reason). I don't think that this request replaces my earlier request for a general one-click refresh button, incidentally. but is separate and in addition. However if the screen real estate does not permit a general refresh button, at least the implementation of this request would not change the display options in any way.

#38 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-March-20, 01:52

It could just be me, but I cannot find any way to view my own profile (let alone edit it) while I am sitting at a table. I can see how to do it immediately after logging in.

Quite often I sit down and partner agrees to play my profile, but I just can't remember all that it says. OK, I know that the profile field is not really intended for system notes, but let's get real.

Perhaps I should just get a better memory, if only to remember to remind myself of my profile before sitting.

There is I think an opportunity for clicking on the compass point N, S, E or W to have a different effect to that of clicking on the name of the person seated. That would not take up any more screen space.

#39 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-March-24, 02:49

At present the football-shaped ball in the top left corner of a table screen, which displays the vul and board number, is used purely for display purposes. It strikes me that there is an opportunity for it to be used as a clickable button without using up any screen space.

You might use it for something where there is a particular advantage for having a one-click process rather than to pop-up a menu (we already have a popup menu and can just add to that if no. of clicks is not a priority).

I have a couple of ideas in mind (there are probably better alternatives):

You could use it to click on the ball to prompt to leave your seat. OK, you can already do this by clicking on your own name at the seat. BUT with my suggestion implemented that would free up clicking on your own name for alternative use such as to display (and edit) your profile, thereby making clicking on your own name behave similar to clicking on other players' names, which I feel is more intuitive and logical.

You could use it to click on the ball to request an undo. Yes, we have an undo request already in the drop down menu. But that is a 2-click process, and I personally feel that an undo request should be a one-click process. There is a degree of urgency in getting the request across so as to minimise the potential damage caused by next hand(s) bidding or playing. That urgency is served by facilitating an immediate request which in turn argues for a one-click process. If you click on it to request an undo a subsequent click would cancel the undo request (in case you clicked on it by accident).

The obvious (and I think only) downside to making this a clickable button (however defined) is that to someone new to the software it may be unclear that it is a clickable button. I have to say that the first time I saw it I naturally assumed that clicking on it would have some desired effect; I just did not know what effect. Turns out to be no effect. It is I think an inevitable consequence of trying to design something to fit onto a phone-sized screen that you do not have the luxury of labelling all the buttons and the user just has to get used to it. That is an observation I have discovered about Android generally having now used it for a few weeks in a variety of apps.

In any case, it is not like there is no precedent for making unlabelled screen space clickable even in the BBO mobile app. We can already click on the final contract to get the auction, or the score to date to get the last trick revealed, and it is only by actually clicking on these areas that the user ever becomes aware of the potential.

#40 User is offline   JRG 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-26, 10:19

View Post1eyedjack, on 2013-March-24, 02:49, said:

At present the football-shaped ball in the top left corner of a table screen, which displays the vul and board number, is used purely for display purposes. It strikes me that there is an opportunity for it to be used as a clickable button without using up any screen space.
[...]

It is I think an inevitable consequence of trying to design something to fit onto a phone-sized screen that you do not have the luxury of labelling all the buttons and the user just has to get used to it. That is an observation I have discovered about Android generally having now used it for a few weeks in a variety of apps.

In any case, it is not like there is no precedent for making unlabelled screen space clickable even in the BBO mobile app. We can already click on the final contract to get the auction, or the score to date to get the last trick revealed, and it is only by actually clicking on these areas that the user ever becomes aware of the potential.

I agree with what you have said. These issues apply to the iOS as well as Android.
JRG

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users