BBO Discussion Forums: I Use the Two Diamond Bid For......... - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I Use the Two Diamond Bid For.........

Poll: I Use the Two Diamond Bid For......... (49 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you use the 2D bid for?

1. Natural Weak 2D (Frequency = 2.97%) (22 votes [44.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.90%

2. Multi 2D (11 votes [22.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.45%

3. Benjamin 2D (Frequency = 0.21%) (1 votes [2.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.04%

4. Ekren 2D (Frequency = 5.53%) (4 votes [8.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.16%

5. Flannery 2D (Frequency = 1.27%) (3 votes [6.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.12%

6. Mexican 2D (Frequency = 0.90%) (2 votes [4.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

7. Polish 2D/Wilkosz (Frequency = 2.25%) (3 votes [6.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.12%

8. Precision 2D (Frequency = 0.66%) (1 votes [2.04%] - View)

9. Roman 2D (Frequency = 0.20%) (1 votes [2.04%] - View)

10. Mini-Roman 2D (Frequency = 1.12%) (1 votes [2.04%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-October-03, 07:35

View Postgnasher, on 2012-October-02, 14:54, said:

I would call it a concealed partnership agreement. It doesn't matter whether you cater for the possibility that he has a 9-count: if you know that he's likely to do it, you have an agreement which has to be disclosed.

Our agreement was Flannery with the usual 11-15 HCP range. Richard's subminimum openings, as common as they may have been, always violated our partnership agreement and I did not cater to them.

The name "Colker 2 opening" was a way of making fun of his openings.

I considered them amusing.

By the way, had we continued to play together, I would have alerted the opps to the possibility of his openings being "light." But we never got that far.

#22 User is online   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-03, 08:11

View PostArtK78, on 2012-October-02, 13:58, said:

Our stated range was 11-15, but whenever Richard opened 2 his maximum count was 11, and was often less. I would not called this a concealed partnership agreement, as I always treated his opening bid as 11-15, but I began to see the 10 counts and 9 counts with increasing frequency.

A good example that could be used in the definition of a concealed partnership agreement.

View PostArtK78, on 2012-October-03, 07:35, said:

Our agreement was Flannery with the usual 11-15 HCP range. Richard's subminimum openings, as common as they may have been, always violated our partnership agreement and I did not cater to them.

It violated your announced partnership agreement. This is why your actual (implicit) agreement is being called concealed.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#23 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-03, 08:11

So he did it often enough so that you gave the opening a nickname but not often enough to inform the opponents?
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#24 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2012-October-03, 10:39

There's another issue with "subminimum" Flannery openings - they're not GCC if they don't promise 10 High. Doesn't matter to everybody, but sure did matter to Art/Richard.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#25 User is offline   olegru 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Play bridge, read bridge, discusse bridge.

Posted 2012-October-03, 14:54

View Postmycroft, on 2012-October-03, 10:39, said:

There's another issue with "subminimum" Flannery openings - they're not GCC if they don't promise 10 High. Doesn't matter to everybody, but sure did matter to Art/Richard.

BTW, are "subminimum" Flannery openings" legal in midchart?

#26 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-04, 08:10

View Postolegru, on 2012-October-03, 14:54, said:

BTW, are "subminimum" Flannery openings" legal in midchart?

AFAICS, no.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#27 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2012-October-04, 13:44

but, oddly enough, 2 showing subminimum Flannery is, 6 board rounds (although the *defence* says vs "weak". Don't know if 8-15 is "weak" :)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#28 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2012-October-04, 20:45

Sam and I play 2 natural intermediate (in our strong club base) which is more frequent and seems more effective than precision 2, while similarly taking some pressure off the overloaded 1 opening.

Elianna and I play 2 natural weak (in our standard american base, with lots of extras). This works well when it comes up, and I like to make this bid with 5/4 and 5/5 minors hands fairly frequently especially non-vulnerable.

In principle I like playing 2 weak-only multi with 2M natural intermediate (because I think 2M natural intermediate is frequent and effective and takes some pressure off 1M openings, not because of any particular love for the multi) but this method is banned in so many events where I am (USA) that it's not worth building a system around it.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#29 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2012-October-04, 20:54

I voted Wilkosz, of course, since it's far and away the meaning I want to be able to give the 2D opening.

Living in ACBLand, what I actually play with SA or 2/1 is natural and weak. Won't be caught dead with the F-word on my card.

The 11-15 6+ diamonds meaning is a solid contender if I can play 1D=hearts or something else fun like that.

#30 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-October-04, 21:14

I talk theory, so here goes.

IMO, strong club systems, whether natural or canape, work most smoothly with a minor core of 2C Roman, 2D minors, and 1D flamingo, whether natural flamingo or canape flamingo.

When the system is natural, a two-way strong opening structure has a lot to offer. If not that, then I want to use 2D to solve a problem.

2D as minors solves the problem of the over-wide minors range issue, but it causes a tendency to not need or use courtesy corrects, which seems good except that it thereby removes the viability of the delayed canape solution. So, I gave up on that.

2D as 5H/4-5S light solves the 3-2, but that is very narrow.

2D as 5S/4-5D solves the 3-2 problem better, if coupled with Opener's Bart, and it also solves the 1S-2H-3D problem, which beats the former as fat as coverage.

So, prefer 2-way or pointeds, whichever.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#31 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2012-October-04, 22:30

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-October-04, 21:14, said:

I talk theory, so here goes.

IMO, strong club systems, whether natural or canape, work most smoothly with a minor core of 2C Roman, 2D minors, and 1D flamingo, whether natural flamingo or canape flamingo.

What the heck is flamingo?

#32 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-October-05, 02:26

I have not heard the term until recently either but what Ken means by Flamingo is an opening bid of 1 to be clubs or diamonds but not both - maybe some balanced types too, not sure on that. It is a good solution and there is some decent theory backing it up. It is not uncommon to combine it with a 2 opening to show the minors but Ken prefers 2 for this.
(-: Zel :-)

#33 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-October-05, 06:21

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-October-05, 02:26, said:

I have not heard the term until recently either but what Ken means by Flamingo is an opening bid of 1 to be clubs or diamonds but not both - maybe some balanced types too, not sure on that. It is a good solution and there is some decent theory backing it up. It is not uncommon to combine it with a 2 opening to show the minors but Ken prefers 2 for this.

yep. Balanced option if natural, not if canape.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#34 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2012-October-05, 07:26

:P For what it's worth, I prefer my 2 opener as a weak two bid because:
1. It has more preemptive value than one might think because partner can raise, and it is sometimes hard come in on if LHO has and only one major.
2. It seems to work better at MP than IMPs. I play a lot of MP.
3. It comes up much more often than the other treatments.
4. There are other ways to handle the Flannery hands reasonably well.
5. The ACBL doesn't like Multi.

#35 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-October-07, 21:16

In 1st/2nd seat, my 1 bid is reserved to show any hand with exactly four spades, so 2 shows 11-15 with diamonds. At first it was just a way to be able to bid these hands but we have gotten SO many good boards from this that it seems worthwhile playing just on its own. Here are two reasons:

1. At other tables they will open 1 and rebid 2, meanwhile the opponents have overcalled a major and are now playing in 2-major. Whereas at my table it goes 2-all pass.

2. It is way easier for partner to make a penalty double (compared to over a weak two) - 2 usually has some defence (a 3 opening shows a hand that REALLY belongs in diamonds).

The combination of these two is: they can come in on a questionable hand then go for 800, or not come in and get a bottom when everyone else is in 2 or 3-major :)

Our 1 opening, if natural, shows 14+ HCP so our 3 opening shows 9-13 HCP. We have had similar good results from that bid too.
I Transfers

#36 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2012-October-13, 09:57

What do ACOL players use the 2 bid for? The Benjamin 2 bid here didn't get any votes.

#37 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-October-13, 10:05

Acol is not an acronym. Also, there are not a lot of Acol players here. Also, you can play with 2C=strong, 2DHS=weak even in Acol.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#38 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-October-13, 10:31

Acol, not ACOL. Traditional Acol uses a natural strong 2D bid, which you have missed out from your poll.
I'd that in national tournaments those players playing some form of Acol are mainly split between 2D multi and 2D benjamin with a sizeable weak 2D minority. (In top level tournaments you won't find many people playing any form of Acol)

#39 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2012-October-13, 10:38

In the clubs in Scotland you will find a lot of people playing Benjamin Twos. Many of these play in tournaments but I think "weak twos in three suits" would be as popular. Multi is not that popular although it is permitted at all levels of the game.

You can do your own analysis on the aspiring internationals as their system cards are all published.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users