• You cannot reply to this topic

comments?

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-August-11, 16:20

"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-11, 16:50

Bidding 4 spades seems a little pushy to me, but it works here as all finesses work for the opponents.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#3 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-11, 17:33

View PostBunnyGo, on 2012-August-11, 16:50, said:

Bidding 4 spades seems a little pushy to me, but it works here as all finesses work for the opponents.

If I was partnering myself, I think I'd be -420.

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-11, 18:52

not sure what your agreements about preempts are but 3h seems off target here.
This hand has a lot of playing potential and kqx of spades behind opener gives the
hand some defensive potential also. I would bid 2h. we cannot predict the bidding
after that so lets get back to the original bidding.

The only "unlimited" hand at the table is opener. 3h limits w 3s limits n and e 4h bid can
be almost anything. The 4s bid can be made with authority knowing the opps will have
precious little reason to x and if rho x the oppd of making 4s tend to go up drmatically
since any finesses will work. 4s is a 2 way bid 1 it may well make and 2 it is at worst
a small insurance policy vs 4h.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-12, 03:43

Would have overcalled 2 rather than 3 which would have resulted in 4 being doubled I think.

3 finesses are wrong in 4, the club position is lucky, on average luck both contracts might make, but one probably should so I want to bid 4. It's just possible both contracts are -1 but at teams that's not that expensive.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-12, 04:08

View PostBunnyGo, on 2012-August-11, 16:50, said:

Which finesses are working for opponents ? I mean you commented as if 4 would be a bad decision had their finesses not work, which is not neccesarilly true...

He bids 4 rightly or wrongly, his double spade finesse loses, his finesse loses and he goes down 1 in 4. :) I admit friendly club split in 4 doesnt have an impact when they play in hearts but still...
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-12, 04:21

View PostMrAce, on 2012-August-12, 04:08, said:

Which finesses are working for opponents ? I mean you commented as if 4 would be a bad decision had their finesses not work, which is not neccesarilly true...

He bids 4 rightly or wrongly, his double spade finesse loses, his finesse loses and he goes down 1 in 4. :) I admit friendly club split in 4 doesnt have an impact when they play in hearts but still...

The diamond K is in the slot, and the spade A is onside, and one cannot help but make 4 hearts.

I wouldn't bid 4, but it's a great sac as it turns out. Especially undoubled.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-12, 16:34

View PostBunnyGo, on 2012-August-12, 04:21, said:

The diamond K is in the slot, and the spade A is onside, and one cannot help but make 4 hearts.

I wouldn't bid 4, but it's a great sac as it turns out. Especially undoubled.

Yes i understand that, i was trying to say "If their finesse didnt work then your side will be making 4 due to losing only 1 . So their finesse working makes it a good sacrifice while if their finesse didnt work it would make 4 a good game to play and make.

NOTE : i am not advocating the 4 bid.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-12, 16:50

I would have bid

1S (4cM, weak NT)-2H-X-2S (good H raise)
p-4H all p

Find 4S very pushy - though, as others have pointed out, it works well here. The thing is that from N's point of view, 4S is nowhere near making and 4H may just go off.

ahydra

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-August-12, 18:05

Comments:
1)I believe Jilly plays 5cM.
2)3H by West/1S is wrong.
3)3S by North/3H is on the wimpy side. (see thread where a decent L.R. would bid 4S).
4)4S by South is certainly pushy, but maybe he knows North is a wimp.
5)Anyone want to guess what would have happened if North bid 4S/3H? Same result or better for N/S?

If it started:
1S (2H) 3H (4H)

Then a good thing could happen for E/W --playing at 4H for instance, since neither North nor South has another call.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#11 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-12, 20:40

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-August-12, 18:05, said:

Comments:

I think "wrong" is wrong. Perhaps not your style, but not "wrong".

3)3S by North/3H is on the wimpy side. (see thread where a decent L.R. would bid 4S).

I don't think 3 is wimpy. With a four-card limit raise, I would understand just bidding 4.

5)Anyone want to guess what would have happened if North bid 4S/3H? Same result or better for N/S?

North could have bid 4 over 4 if you're just looking for results.

If it started:
1S (2H) 3H (4H)

Then a good thing could happen for E/W --playing at 4H for instance, since neither North nor South has another call.

South took another call opposite the actual competitive raise, why not opposite the limit raise?

#12 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-August-12, 20:48

So, that means you disagree.

#13 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-August-13, 08:04

The 3 bid is mine. I know it's not perfect but 2 doesn't seem right either.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#14 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-13, 11:59

View Postjillybean, on 2012-August-13, 08:04, said:

I think it is important to be on the same page as your partner when it comes to preempts. I doubt it can be proven to most people's satisfaction that preempting with the West hand is right or wrong. What is most important is that you find a style that you and your partner are comfortable with.

#15 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-August-13, 12:27

View Postjillybean, on 2012-August-13, 08:04, said:

Why? 3 is a serious underbid. I think 4 is fine too.

Kathryn: I have a project for you. The next time you play in a live game, I want you to push the envelope until you get doubled and go for 1100. Apologize to your partner beforehand. Insane jumps to slams do not count. I'm referring to every day, bread and butter auctions that you need to be pushing harder on.

Please report back to the forums and I want you to brag about this. Its a very important part of a player's development to push until they find sensible limits, and then only back off to an aggressive, but rational style.

You will receive the "1100" merit badge :P
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#16 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-13, 12:33

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-August-12, 18:05, said:

Comments:
4)4S by South is certainly pushy, but maybe he knows North is a wimp.

If it started:
1S (2H) 3H (4H)

I disagree with all of this. I could bid 2H instead of 3. Fair enough, just a style thing. KQx is a lot of defence for a preempt, but you should also mix your preempts up a bit.

3S is not on the wimpy side, showing a `good raise' here is crazy. You just have a normal constructive raise to 2M if rho passed. I think 4S was pushy. Partner will stretch already to bid 4S, as he knows he is forced to bid 3S on sub par hands, and so he needs to bid game more to take the pressure off you.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#17 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-13, 14:09

As I mentioned, I'd bid 2H on West, but I'd rather bid 4H than 3H.

And North is nowhere near worth 3H over 2H surely? Even playing 5cM it's nothing more than a limit raise (3S over 1S without interference). Or perhaps this is another partnership style thing, but phil_20686's point about opener rebidding 3S on minimum hands is a valid one. (I passed in my putative auction because this is a sub-minimum. Need roughly a poor 13-count to bid again in my style)

ahydra

#18 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-August-13, 14:18

View Postahydra, on 2012-August-13, 14:09, said:

As I mentioned, I'd bid 2H on West, but I'd rather bid 4H than 3H.

And North is nowhere near worth 3H over 2H surely? Even playing 5cM it's nothing more than a limit raise (3S over 1S without interference).

If it is a limit raise without interference, then the way to describe it is to bid 3H over 2H unless you use 3S over 2H as invitational, and I don't think that is likely.

#19 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-August-13, 14:59

There were a number of questionable actions during the auction, but it appears that the par result would have been obtained if 4 were doubled.

Since 4 is cold and 4 is down 1 trick, the par result is 4x -100 NS.

The preempt by West on a good hand makes it nearly impossible for EW to double 4. If I were to preempt with the West hand (and I am not saying that I would) it would be 4, not 3. The main problem with the preempt is that you have two nearly sure trump tricks against a spade contract, and if partner is short in spades partner is likely to bid one more when that is not in your best interest.

#20 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-August-13, 17:17

View PostPhil, on 2012-August-13, 12:27, said:

Why? 3 is a serious underbid. I think 4 is fine too.

Kathryn: I have a project for you. The next time you play in a live game, I want you to push the envelope until you get doubled and go for 1100. Apologize to your partner beforehand. Insane jumps to slams do not count. I'm referring to every day, bread and butter auctions that you need to be pushing harder on.

Please report back to the forums and I want you to brag about this. Its a very important part of a player's development to push until they find sensible limits, and then only back off to an aggressive, but rational style.

You will receive the "1100" merit badge :P

Ok, I will try this on Wednesday and report back. :)
My partner may not be thrilled, he has spent the last few years breaking me of my -1100 habits.
(still learning)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users