• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-10, 10:15

How do you play this hand?

Lead is the Heart 6 (4th best):

1) H6, 2, 8, 9

(I assume you win the 9)

Now what?

I'd also be interested in your IMP play if different.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#2 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-14, 10:23

OK, I'll bump this with my own thoughts (at the table and afterwards).

I was thinking, "what a friendly lead. Not only didn't Qxxx(x) of diamonds not lead, but they led too low a heart to give me a free trick. Time to take advantage and get clubs right."

So, how to get clubs right. If the Jack is 4th anywhere, then I can't get more than 3 club tricks (against perfect defense). But I convinced myself that I wanted to lose to West if I had to, so I crossed in Spades and led small to the ten. I lost to J8 doubleton, and could have picked up the entire suit. With both diamond honors in East, with doubleton heart, careful play could have yielded 11 tricks.

Thoughts?
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#3 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-14, 10:31

I'd play clubs from hand. The problem with your line is, suppose they duck the club ace twice. Now you are stuck in the wrong hand and cannot get even three club tricks, even with a favorable layout. I'm not that scared of south playing hearts (put in seven, this may well freeze the suit).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#4 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-15, 07:38

View PostBunnyGo, on 2012-August-14, 10:23, said:

OK, I'll bump this with my own thoughts (at the table and afterwards).

I was thinking, "what a friendly lead. Not only didn't Qxxx(x) of diamonds not lead, but they led too low a heart to give me a free trick. Time to take advantage and get clubs right."

So, how to get clubs right. If the Jack is 4th anywhere, then I can't get more than 3 club tricks (against perfect defense). But I convinced myself that I wanted to lose to West if I had to, so I crossed in Spades and led small to the ten. I lost to J8 doubleton, and could have picked up the entire suit. With both diamond honors in East, with doubleton heart, careful play could have yielded 11 tricks.

Thoughts?

You led a club to the ten, it lost, the returned something, so you play the club Q from hand and overtake for ten tricks. Seems fine. Taking the diamond finesse first risks randomly going off if they cash diamond diamond diamond to clear the suit, and rise with the club ace to play the thirteenth diamond.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users