• You cannot reply to this topic

comments?

#21 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-August-14, 01:59

View PostPhil, on 2012-August-13, 12:27, said:

You will receive the "1100" merit badge :P

I agree with this. When I learned bridge it was primarily from a Culbertson book and it meant playing an incredibly conservative style. Then I went to university and met my first partner. He had some "interesting" ideas about bidding but one of these was to introduce me to a much more relaxed style to competition. Indeed, my first ever weak jump overcall was a suit of Txxxxx with nothing outside...vulnerable - and a success! From such experiments you get a much better feel for what does and does not work against different classes of opponent. Then you collate the results to find your own personal preferred style; then try to match that up with your partner's preferred style to reach a reasonable compromise.

A part of that learning experience was also finding out the boundaries between hands that are constructive (we are looking at possible game if partner has a good hand), destructive (we do not have game unless partner has support), or unilateral (a mix of the prevous two - we want to be in game whatever partner has). Those boundaries will be different for different partnerships and systems. Nonetheless, it is clear that looking at this hand and thinking of it as purely destructive (3) opposite an unpassed hand has to be wrong. 3 vulnerable opposite a passed partner on the other hand would be reasonable in my eyes (others probably disagree) so it is not as if 3 is completely out of the ballpark, just that it sends the wrong message here imho.
(-: Zel :-)

#22 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-August-15, 17:13

Well, there were no -1100 but we did have a 62% game and 2nd overall.

Including this 26 point slam...

"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users