• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do you score the board/

#1 User is offline   swanway 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-April-30, 09:55

English Bridge Union

Recently at our club we were playing a Howell movement. At one table the pairs sat in the wrong direction. After they had played the board they realised their mistake and they then sat in the correct direction for the remaining boards. How do we score the first board? We use Scorebridge to score the session. We have mixed opinions as to how the board is scored and these are recorded below.

1. Change the numbers round on the computer program and score normally. Give both pairs a warning.

2. Change the numbers round on the computer program and score normally. Give both pairs a procedural penalty.

3. The club rules that in future the board is cancelled and both pairs get an Average minus.

I would favour the first ruling. Not sure that no 3 is legal or not.

#2 User is offline   jnichols 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-30, 10:20

I would favor the first option as well.

Warn the pairs in question at the time, and remind all the players occasionally when starting a Howell that they should be carefull.

If a pair has a habit of getting this wrong.and warnings don't seem to help then maybe a PP, but this just isn't that serious a crime.
John S. Nichols - Director & Webmaster
Indianapolis Bridge Center

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-30, 10:47

They know they screwed up. You know the easy fix of toggling the pair numbers for N/S and E/W.

It is the club; no need to get active with additional penalties or to negate the result.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-April-30, 13:47

View Postswanway, on 2012-April-30, 09:55, said:

Not sure that no 3 is legal or not.

I'm quite sure it isn't.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-April-30, 14:43

I took the ACBL Tournament Assistant exam a few weeks ago (still haven't gotten the results back, but I'd be very surprised if I didn't ace it). One of the questions on the test was about this situation. I was very surprised that the Laws don't seem to address it at all, and I couldn't find it specifically mentioned on any ACBL regulation pages, either. I answered from experience; ACBLScore has functions in its Edit Movement screen for swapping directions for a single board or round, just to handle this type of situation.

#6 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-30, 15:39

View Postswanway, on 2012-April-30, 09:55, said:

English Bridge Union

Recently at our club we were playing a Howell movement. At one table the pairs sat in the wrong direction. After they had played the board they realised their mistake and they then sat in the correct direction for the remaining boards. How do we score the first board? We use Scorebridge to score the session. We have mixed opinions as to how the board is scored and these are recorded below.

1. Change the numbers round on the computer program and score normally. Give both pairs a warning.

2. Change the numbers round on the computer program and score normally. Give both pairs a procedural penalty.

3. The club rules that in future the board is cancelled and both pairs get an Average minus.

I would favour the first ruling. Not sure that no 3 is legal or not.

I would favour the first sentence of the first ruling. Unless it's a two-winner movement, or it is suspected that they've done it deliberately, I don't understand why anyone needs to get worked up about it.

I don't think ruling 3 is legal. Artificial scores are for when a result can't be obtained on a board, which is clearly not the case here.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-30, 15:58

Ruling 3 is not legal. PPs are for when people do something really bad, or make a habit of repeating the same error over and over. I don't think giving a warning is "getting worked up" about anything, so I'd go with ruling 1.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-30, 16:01

This is frequent with so-called "three-quarter Howells" (i.e. incomplete movements), and in particular, with the 6-table, 9x3-round movement (although I have seen it with the 5-table 8x3 and 4-table 6x4 as well - I just don't do 24-board movements very often). One pair is the high pair, stationary N-S at table whatever; one or more pairs are "semi-stationary"; stay at the same table, but swap between N-S and E-W at somewhat arbitrary times. Those are the pairs that I always warn to check every round, and those are the pairs that get it wrong (and I've been "one of those pairs getting it wrong" at least once!)

I give them a little bit of an embarrassment warning ("I did tell you to check, right?") and I'd probably have an issue if they did it again (but that never happens). One board is better than the whole round, for balance purposes, but I bet none of the players even know what you mean by "balance issues". I would make sure that mobile players who *frequently* make this mistake somehow don't manage to get one of those spots in future, of course.

As most people are saying, 5 (3, sir!) 3 is right out.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-May-01, 10:05

In our club, if someone messes up like this, the TD just announces to the room "Please, remember to check the guide cards for arrow switches".

#10 User is offline   jnichols 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-01, 12:40

View Postbarmar, on 2012-May-01, 10:05, said:

In our club, if someone messes up like this, the TD just announces to the room "Please, remember to check the guide cards for arrow switches".

Yhat's the "warning" I would use
John S. Nichols - Director & Webmaster
Indianapolis Bridge Center

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users