BBO Discussion Forums: Teaching Laws at the Club - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Teaching Laws at the Club (not at the table)

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-April-01, 18:12

I am wondering if anyone has been involved in running an educational program for their club/unit on the laws of DCB. I have not seen any such initiative around here although I don't play in the new comer games so there may be some component of the laws taught in those games. I am thinking more along the lines of laws for your regular club/tournament player.

Has anyone had any experience?

#2 User is offline   Chris3875 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-01, 18:30

We usually allow part of one session during our Beginners' classes for a Director to come and speak but it is more to acquaint them with the role of the Director (not the big bad bogy person there to hit you over the head with a stick if you make a mistake). One of our State Directors does run a session for club players - the aim being for them to understand how the Laws can work in their favour at the table e.g. when they are given choices for lead out of turn, etc.
Australia

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-01, 22:51

I've given a lecture or two to the beginners at our biggest local club, but it's been a while - partly because the club owner doesn't seem to think it's worth the effort. Given the fact that a lot of those beginners came up to me after I gave the class and thanked me for it, I think she's wrong, but that doesn't faze her in the slightest. :rolleyes:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-April-03, 07:22

I got so frustrated with one common and continuing abuse that I asked my local clubs if I could address the players at the start and did so on four different sessions. The feedback certainly suggested that more of the same might be not just a good thing but acceptable to the players.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#5 User is offline   paua 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-26, 06:14

View Postjillybean, on 2012-April-01, 18:12, said:

I am wondering if anyone has been involved in running an educational program for their club/unit on the laws of DCB. I have not seen any such initiative around here although I don't play in the new comer games so there may be some component of the laws taught in those games. I am thinking more along the lines of laws for your regular club/tournament player.

Has anyone had any experience?

Continuous responsibility of the club committee to educate the players. Combination of educating at the time of an irregularity, notices/booklets/emails, and the occasional speech by the Director during play. Some people are stubborn, so they only learn by being smacked.

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-April-26, 06:51

You assume that a club has a committee. :P
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-April-26, 07:11

View Postpaua, on 2012-April-26, 06:14, said:

Continuous responsibility of the club committee to educate the players. Combination of educating at the time of an irregularity, notices/booklets/emails, and the occasional speech by the Director during play. Some people are stubborn, so they only learn by being smacked.

I'm interested in ACBL specifically here, when you say club committee would would that be the unit board in the ACBL?

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-April-26, 07:29

I probably shouldn't try to speak for someone else here, but I think he's from a place where clubs being owned by the members, and run by a committee, is common. This is in contrast to North America, where most clubs seem to be sole proprietorships.

So far as I know, there's nothing in the ACBL Handbook about Units being responsible for educating club TDs.
--------------------

#9 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-April-26, 07:38

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-April-26, 07:29, said:

I probably shouldn't try to speak for someone else here, but I think he's from a place where clubs being owned by the members, and run by a committee, is common. This is in contrast to North America, where most clubs seem to be sole proprietorships.

So far as I know, there's nothing in the ACBL Handbook about Units being responsible for educating club TDs.

That a different topic altogether :) I'm interested in player, unit member education.

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-April-26, 08:24

View Postjillybean, on 2012-April-26, 07:38, said:

That a different topic altogether :) I'm interested in player, unit member education.

My bad. Too many threads in my head. :D

There's something in the afore-mentioned Handbook about education for players, but you'll have to read it for yourself, as the ACBL seems to have set up their handbook online so I can print it, but not save it and not copy from it. :(
--------------------

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-26, 13:50

If the club has a monthly or quarterly newsletter, a short educational piece on the Laws could be included in each one.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#12 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-April-26, 14:20

A Director/teacher in these parts has created a new market of party bridge players bringing them into the ACBL. She has done this twice...in different locales about 30 miles from each other. In addition to bidding and play lessons before each weekly game, she teaches about laws and regulations via EMAIL.

Each week there is a different topic for her "Ask the Director", sent to all the players.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#13 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-April-26, 15:34

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-April-26, 14:20, said:

A Director/teacher in these parts has created a new market of party bridge players bringing them into the ACBL. She has done this twice...in different locales about 30 miles from each other. In addition to bidding and play lessons before each weekly game, she teaches about laws and regulations via EMAIL.

Each week there is a different topic for her "Ask the Director", sent to all the players.

Could you give her my email please. (kathrynjshannon(at)gmail(dot)com) I would like to see the material if she is happy to share it.

#14 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-April-26, 15:43

View Postjillybean, on 2012-April-26, 15:34, said:

Could you give her my email please. (kathrynjshannon(at)gmail(dot)com) I would like to see the material if she is happy to share it.

PM, me with your preferred email account and I will forward some of them.

#15 User is offline   paua 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-26, 16:21

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-April-26, 07:29, said:

Yes. Why do so many North Americans assume everyone else is in North America ?? :)

#16 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-April-26, 16:41

View Postpaua, on 2012-April-26, 16:21, said:

Yes. Why do so many North Americans assume everyone else is in North America ?? :)

Well, just for the record, one of our NA clubs here in town is owned by the members, and run by a committee; all annual profits not used for maintenance of our toys is blown on a bash at the end of the year.

Edit: Mind you, a bash in St. George is not quite equivalent to a bash in other places, such as the little town about 122 miles up the road.

#17 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-April-26, 17:57

Out of curiosity, how much do you pay your directors?
--------------------

#18 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-April-26, 18:04

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-April-26, 17:57, said:

Out of curiosity, how much do you pay your directors?

25 or 35 only. The regular directors of the other games in town are the proprietors, but that is all they pay when they are absent. 35 when table count goes to 9 1/2.

Card fees are only 4 bucks, too.

#19 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-April-26, 18:13

On beginners night at my club the director would do a quick piece about one item of the laws (I noticed that he rotated through the most common infarctions occasionally mixing it up), and the odd bit on ethics. I liked this - if you teach yourself the game there is no-one to teach you the laws. Unfortunately I stopped playing the beginners night!

#20 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2012-April-26, 19:38

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-April-26, 18:04, said:

25 or 35 only. The regular directors of the other games in town are the proprietors, but that is all they pay when they are absent. 35 when table count goes to 9 1/2.

Card fees are only 4 bucks, too.

4 bucks? For ACBL sanctioned games? That can't include coffee and dare I say, hand records?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users