BBO Discussion Forums: Strength Requirement for free bid - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Strength Requirement for free bid

#1 User is offline   fuburules3 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-27, 16:36

http://tinyurl.com/83kudtv

It seems that GIB has a fairly normal 2 bid, but instead makes a negative double. I think I have noticed in the past that GIB's free bids at 2 level are much stronger than I would play them. Does GIB play a free bid is game forcing?

It might be nice to know because it was a little unexpected that GIB had 5H here.

Of course, passing 2SX is the winning bid here, but I've become wary of defending low level doubled partials playing with GIB . . .

#2 User is offline   AyunuS 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-28, 00:54

I think the free bids are only 1 round forcing but still it does not seem to bid anything that will lead to you getting stuck. Therefore, since it allows openings with only 11 HCP, it'd need 12+ HCP to make a free bid to still be safe at 2NT, which you may have to go to in the case of no fit, so I'd figure the free bid is probably 12+ HCP, 1 round forcing, which is stronger than I'd play you needed for them, too.

#3 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2012-April-28, 03:44

At the moment new suit by responder with higher rank then opened suit needs 14+TP, if lower rank needs 11+. But not seeded as direct GF, but likely is invite+ hand ( in higher rank suit case ).

So in the particular hand if these 5 cards were in , GIB would bid 2.

Very likely these limitations would be considered in next update/s, allowing expected or usual overcalls to be done.

Still for the particular hand, if 2 was bidded and as can't be passed, then 3 as minimum final contract if South raises and North passes seems like -1 so not so unlucky by not bidding 2 from North.

#4 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-28, 10:54

i think you did fine on the hand
2call most likely would bring about 3
too bad west had Q or you could have endplayed east for another trick
only thing better would have been +200 for 2x-1

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-November-28, 00:07

It certainly seems that North should bid 1 over 1. Please fix whatever priority scheme is necessary to make this happen, especially since GIB manages to bid 2 on this one:
Thanks!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users