Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Responding to Quantitative 4NT

#1 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-November-27, 01:23

I just (probably inappropriately) bid 4NT Quantitative Invite twice in one robot dupe.

On this hand, GIB responded (and explained his response) as I would have expected. Since his 1N bid showed 8-11HCP, I'd expect him to decline the invitation (i.e, pass) with 8-9HCP and accept the invitation with 10-11HCP, or something very close to that. Here, GIB accepts with his max, and the explanation of his 6N is what I expected.

Here, North's 3N shows 12-19HCP (I'm guestimating the 12, based on GIB's fairly-consistent use of 1-point difference between HCP and total points.) Therefore, when I make a quantitative 4N bid, I expect GIB to decline the invitation (i.e, pass) with 12-15HCP and accept the invitation with 16-19HCP, or something close to that. Here, GIB accepts with a min, and the explanation of his 6N is consistent with this surprising bid. Why would 6N show 12-16HCP instead of the upper-end of his range?

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-November-27, 11:03

12-19 is just a mistake for 3nt range, that's just way too wide for intelligent decision making. It should be more like 12-16 at most. So accept would be 14-16 or so.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users