BBO Discussion Forums: Topics you would like to see discussed - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Topics you would like to see discussed Poll for beginner/intermediate topics

Poll: What topics would readers of this forum like to see covered in new threads? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

What topics would readers of this forum like to see covered in new threads?

1. Opening light is third hand.. why and how to stay low (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Bidding after a raise..when is Que bid? Stopper? or natural (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Negative doubles, how to use them and when to use them (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

4. Card combinations - more like the post today but for BIL's (3 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

5. How to figure the percentage play (1 votes [5.56%])

6. Matchpoint strategy versus imp strategy what's different? (4 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

7. Basic Defensive card combinations (2 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

8. Counting on offense (1 votes [5.56%])

9. Counting on defense (2 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

10. Killing opening leads, how to find them - added for sceptic (4 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-October-13, 08:32

Time for some more Beginner guides to things bridge related. I am certain any number of expert and advanced players would be willing to help with these, and other interesting topics. But rather than pick one out of the air, we will have a vote... If there is any run away winner, I will start a thread on that... of course anyone is free to start a thread on any of these...

IF you can think of some other topic you would like to see, reply to this thead and describe it or private message me, and I will add the topic to the poll.

Ben
--Ben--

#2 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-October-13, 08:50

The one I would love to cover is the OPENING LEAD in NT and Trump contracts. mainly concentrating on which suit to play and reasoning behind decisions.

I have lost count of the number of nominations I have had for monthly champion on the www.crappyleads.com web site

#3 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2004-October-13, 08:55

I can only chose 1?

Card combinations - more like the post today but for BIL's
How to figure the precentage play
Matchpoint strategy versus imp strategy what's different?
Basic Densive card combinations
Counting on offense
Counting on defense

:)

If I have to pick one...Card combinations - more like the post today but for BIL's

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-October-13, 09:18

sceptic, on Oct 13 2004, 10:50 AM, said:

The one I would love to cover is the OPENING LEAD in NT and Trump contracts. mainly concentrating on which suit to play and reasoning behind decisions.

Lol.. I wish I knew the secret to this too... there are some clues from the bidding and your own hand...

Is a passive defense called for (maybe they stretched to get to game, both issuing invites). Do the honors you hold look "well placed" for you (behind the person most likley with the honors in that suit? Can you visuallize your partners honors similarly well placed? Or an aggressvie lead? Will just one of you have to keep being on lead getting enplayed over and over? Does your partner have the potential for a good hand (try to hit his suit), does your partner only have the potential for a modest honor card? Which one does you the most good at imps?

Do they sound like they have plenty of tricks once they set up their long suit? Do the their long suits look like they are splitting for them?

In suit contracts, does it sound like they might go for a cross-ruff (lead a trump?). Do you ahve four trumps, should you play a forcing game?

You can draw some conclusions like these. You will be wrong some of the time, but what a gloriious feeling when you "guess" right... no one guesses right all the time, but maybe we could discuss some clues that will improve your percentage, along with example hands....
--Ben--

#5 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-October-13, 12:31

inquiry, on Oct 13 2004, 09:32 AM, said:

Time for some more Beginner guides to things bridge related. I am certain any number of expert and advanced players would be willing to help with these, and other interesting topics. But rather than pick one out of the air, we will have a vote... If there is any run away winner, I will start a thread on that... of course anyone is free to start a thread on any of these...

IF you can think of some other topic you would like to see, reply to this thead and describe it or private message me, and I will add the topic to the poll.

Ben

I'd like to see opinions on when to overcall vs. jump overcall vs. pass.

Second choice is what to lead vs. NT.

Things like how to play hand combinations I'd rather get from books.

#6 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-October-13, 13:14

jtfanclub, on Oct 13 2004, 02:31 PM, said:

I'd like to see opinions on when to overcall vs. jump overcall vs. pass.

Second choice is what to lead vs. NT.

Things like how to play hand combinations I'd rather get from books.

Just a quick note... on the book issue.. Not everyone has access to books, and not all books are correct. There are errors in a number of the ones I have seen... and even in the bridge encylopedia... on the other hand, books would be much more complete on this subject than anything people post here (And we will never get agreements on many of the combinations anyway...)

Ben
--Ben--

#7 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-October-13, 16:26

Ben,

When you say "Opening light in 3rd hand", do you mean opening even lighter than you open in first and second?

If so, I am not sure that it is something that Beginners, or people of a nervous disposition, ought to see B)

Eric

#8 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-October-13, 16:40

ROFL .. hehehe... well, no, I mean more traditional light opening bids... drury responses, etc.... Although maybe teaching beginner ZAR points will not be horrible idea.

Ben
--Ben--

#9 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-October-13, 16:50

inquiry, on Oct 13 2004, 10:40 PM, said:

ROFL .. hehehe... well, no, I mean more traditional light opening bids... drury responses, etc.... Although maybe teaching beginner ZAR points will not be horrible idea.

Ben

I think teaching a pair of beginners Zar points (or Tysen's similar system) would be an excellent idea.

However, I am not sure most beginners would have the judgement to get away with using Zar points with an unsuspecting partner.

For example, I held an interesting Zar hand tonight: As dealer you have KJ963 76 QJT542. Not playing any two suited openers. What do you do? Would you expect a beginner to be able to handle the subsequent auction opposite an unsuspecting partner?

Eric

#10 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-October-16, 19:37

i see a lot of people, not necessarily beg/int either, who don't quite know how to respond to their partner's t/o double... when to bid 1, or 2, or game, etc... all your topics are good ones
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#11 User is offline   xx1943 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-October-20, 00:55

Hi

I'm missing the very important issue of signals.

When a signal is attitude, showing count, suit preference, smith-peter, trump-echo .......

Probably half the time they are defending and I saw a lot of Billies not aware of the general principles of signalling.

I don't think a discussion about UDCA or standard is helpful, becoze it is proved that ther is no difference. Both have there merits and advantages.

Cheers

Al
Play Bridge for fun and entertainment and to meet nice people.
BAD bidding may be succesful due to excellent play, but not vice versa.
Teaching in the BIL TUE 8:00am CET.

Lessons available. For INFO look here: Play bridge with Al

#12 User is offline   xx1943 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-October-20, 01:01

EricK, on Oct 14 2004, 12:50 AM, said:

For example, I held an interesting Zar hand tonight: As dealer you have KJ963 76 QJT542. Not playing any two suited openers. What do you do?
Eric

Hi Eric

this is a 1 opening without counting Zar-points too. If you rebid spades twice or have to introduce them at a high level (say 4 ), partner must know, that this is a so called "length-reverse". In Germany this is standard.

Would you expect a beginner to be able to handle the subsequent auction opposite an unsuspecting partner?

yes, I hope, pd is not unsuspecting. :P

Maybe it is better to discuss this with your pd. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Al
Play Bridge for fun and entertainment and to meet nice people.
BAD bidding may be succesful due to excellent play, but not vice versa.
Teaching in the BIL TUE 8:00am CET.

Lessons available. For INFO look here: Play bridge with Al

#13 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-October-20, 02:28

xx1943, on Oct 20 2004, 02:55 AM, said:

Hi

I'm missing the very important issue of signals.

When a signal is attitude, showing count, suit preference, smith-peter, trump-echo .......

Probably half the time they are defending and I saw a lot of Billies not aware of the general principles of signalling.

I don't think a discussion about UDCA or standard is helpful, becoze it is proved that ther is no difference. Both have there merits and advantages.

Cheers

Al

Beginners and intermediates interested in signals (sometimes called carding), might want to see...

Beginners Guide to signaling and Giving Count

There is some information in there on when a signal should be count, when attitude, when suit preference, but we could revisit that topic. And Al, I think there is very good reasons why udca is better than standard. There was an eric kokish article on this in BridgeWorld decades ago.. i switched to udca the day i read that, and have never wished to go back...

Ben
--Ben--

#14 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-October-20, 06:06

inquiry, on Oct 13 2004, 10:40 PM, said:

Ben

Please don´t teach beginners ZAR points, they may be great, but I am sure accurate criterium is not what will make a BIL become advanced, untill you reach a very high level this is a don´t make (silly) mistakes game.

#15 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Rowing. Wargaming. Military history.

Posted 2004-October-20, 07:46

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but many of these topics are already covered very well in books that are easily obtainable.

>The one I would love to cover is the OPENING LEAD in NT and Trump contracts. mainly concentrating on which suit to play and reasoning behind decisions.
>Killing opening leads, how to find them - added for sceptic

Try Mike Lawrences "OPENING LEADS" he does a terrific job of teaching you how to think about whats going on, what the opponents hands are, what pard has, what inferences are available. It has 200+ pages of text, tons of hands, and a very long quiz section at the end, perhaps another50 pages.

For signaling, try William Roots "HOW TO DEFEND A BRIDGE HAND". 409 pages, tons of examples. Perhaps 400 hands in all.

Negative Doubles - Marty Bergen has a great book on this. They are also covered in Miek Lawrences "DOUBLE - New meanings for an old bid". Both highly worthwhile.

Card Combinations - Mike Lawrence has a good book on the subject. "How to Play Card Combinations". Its not a simple book like leading up to AJT to finesse against LHOs honor. Instead he covers some comon combinations and when to hold up, or take your card.

Percentage play - Hugh kelsey has a good bok on the subject "Bridge Odds for Practical Players"

Matchpoint strategy versus imp strategy what's different - try Kit Woolseys "MATCHPOINTS" or Hugh Kelseys "Match Point Bridge"

Counting - try Mike Lawrences "COUNTING AT BRIDGE" software. Outstanding.

In fact just about anything by Mike Lawrence is worth reading. His software is unbelievable. I can't recommend his works enoung.

#16 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Rowing. Wargaming. Military history.

Posted 2004-October-20, 07:51

> I don't think a discussion about UDCA or standard is helpful, becoze it is proved that ther is no difference. Both have there merits and advantages.

Where has this been proven? I have my doubs, as it wouldn't be used as widely as it is (by some experts in the USA and those outside the USA). Many times a system is used because "thats what everyone else uses it", not because its better.

#17 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2004-October-20, 07:57

ArcLight, on Oct 20 2004, 09:46 AM, said:

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but many of these topics are already covered very well in books that are easily obtainable.

Yes it is true all these are covered in books and software, and as a BridgeBase fan, I can back your high endorsment of the software by Mike.

But the software and books don't allow feedback from the student like a webpage. And while the books and software are relatively cheap, some simply can't afford them, or can't afford more than one or two of them And, different people have different learning styles.. maybe lurking here and sending me and a few other regulars question without ever posting is good for them,

And finally, one would hope these topics will spur the novice, beginner and intermediate to want to find out MORE about each of these topics. And that these posting would encourage them to purchase such material. I can't imagine these postings STOPPING anyone who gets excited to learn about these to think "well there it is, I know all now" and not seek more information on what interest them.

Ben
--Ben--

#18 User is offline   Rado 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-October-21, 19:05

Hi Ben
the answer to the poll is ALL
Rado

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic