Pass  2NT   3    Pass
 Pass  Dbl   Pass  Pass
 Pass  

1 spade 2 hearts. do I show strong or weak hand in this auction

#2 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-October-21, 11:52

West has shown a very weak hand, IMO. Keeping in mind that I'm an Intermediate.

I think it has an extremely clear X of 1, whether that's negative, generic takeout, or card showing.

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-October-21, 12:47

2 is not forcing, i don't think. And your partners double is wrong. But, I think your 2 bid was wrong. I very much like 1 instead of double, but when 2 comes back to you, you should DBL to show support for the other two suits (this is a takeout double). Since you are using doulbe now, instead of first round, you are placing emphasis on spade (especially as it relates to hearts). However, only DBL tells your partner you can play in clubs too...

Now, some people might play this double shows extra values, some might play it as optional. For me, ny rule... until we have found a fit, all my doubles are for takeout... If I am short in their suit, I am often obligated to double on not much, in case WEST was joking around and partner is stacked in diamonds.

After you double... your partner might compete as high as 4 (donw one, you win 1D, 6C, 1S, 1D-ruff). Against their contracts, you can visuallize short spades in partners hand (if you bid one spade, and then double and not support). You might start Spade ace and spade hope he can ruff... no he can not. But partner can win diamond finessed of with king, and underlead his clubs for another spade. Dummy must ruff the ACE, and then hook the diamond Ten to make (can't play for 2-2 trurmps) or you can set 4.
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-October-21, 13:10

Oh! He's South. Silly me.

I think you've shown a weak hand, but stronger than this.

♠ AT972
♥ KT98
♦ 8
♣ QT4

That's about what I'd expect.

Having said that, what would

West North East South

- 1♣ 1♦ DBL
2♦ Pass Pass 2

Have meant in your system? If that's invitational, then there's nothing wrong with your 2 bid. If that's strong and forcing (as I'm used to), then you're a couple of points too weak to bid 2.

If I am short in their suit, I am often obligated to double on not much, in case WEST was joking around and partner is stacked in diamonds.

I agree with this statement. I disagree with this being the hand to X with. I don't know if in your system the X shows extra values or not, but you don't really have full values for your 1 bid (though I agree you should do it). They're only at the two level. Partner can have AKxx in diamonds and still not be able to set it. You most likely have only one defensive trick...it's too much to ask that partner have five.

Partner's X doesn't fit even if you had the 9 point hand, though.

Once again, I'm Intermediate, so don't give my thoughts equal weight with Inquiry's.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users