the future of education?

#61 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-08, 03:00

View PostFluffy, on 2014-May-08, 02:03, said:

Not a video, but it has interactive examples, so might be worth a try:

http://www.bridgegod...rt.php?artid=42

The second one is just poor and won't let me play any of the cards I want to play. It insists I strip the long hand of all its high clubs rather than preserving them as entries to lead diamonds, and won't let me lead a diamond before the second trump.

Bizarre, twice it blocked me from playing the clubs how I wanted and leading a diamond first, third time it allowed me.

#62 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-09, 09:22

it was one of the first hands I made, declarer bot was rusty at that time so I did step by step decision trees, couldn't handle all options. I Should revisit those deals, but I always have better things to do :/.

Now I look at it it wasn't that bad, still the main point is tha tlebensohl would help you bid 3+4 later. Maybe a better example would be to give partner 4, so the spade game is the winning spot, but cannot be reached without lebensohl.

#63 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-May-09, 16:54

View PostFM75, on 2014-May-07, 16:10, said:

http://en.wikipedia....Autodidacticism

Perhaps our system of education should promote educating ourselves. Being taught for 12-16 years is probably insufficient for a full career. This has probably been the case for decades already.

People need to be able to learn by themselves. That means tracking down sources of knowledge new to them and learning from it.

The sooner one learns to learn at one's own pace, mastering the subject being studied, the better that person will be able to do so as necessary or desired.

If I can rephrase a little: Some young people, rich or poor, take responsibility for themselves. Some, rich or poor, do not. This is not the whole story, not by a long shot, but surely it is part of it.
Ken

#64 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-12, 13:42

To rephrase even more: some people are taught now to learn, or how to teach themselves. some people are taught how to pass the next test. Of those people, some take the responsibility to do it, or to learn to do it despite their training.

However, one of the things that skews rich at the moment is intelligence and a willingness to learn. Their children may have more opportunity to become autodidacts than those whose family doesn't value it as highly.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#65 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-16, 01:09

View Postmycroft, on 2014-May-12, 13:42, said:

To rephrase even more: some people are taught now to learn, or how to teach themselves. some people are taught how to pass the next test. Of those people, some take the responsibility to do it, or to learn to do it despite their training.

However, one of the things that skews rich at the moment is intelligence and a willingness to learn. Their children may have more opportunity to become autodidacts than those whose family doesn't value it as highly.

autodidacts

how many know what that means without google.

How many know that is so important. I did not. Does anyone?
D

#66 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-May-16, 06:32

I can guess the meaning of autodact without looking it up. But this is of course dangerous. When I was young and first heard the word heterosexual I thought it meant that you would do it with anyone, or at least with a heterogeneous collection of partners.
Ken

#67 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-20, 10:44

View Postkenberg, on 2014-May-16, 06:32, said:

When I was young and first heard the word heterosexual I thought it meant that you would do it with anyone, or at least with a heterogeneous collection of partners.

And presumably a bisexual is just one step away from being monogamous...

#68 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-May-20, 13:08

View PostWellSpyder, on 2014-May-20, 10:44, said:

And presumably a bisexual is just one step away from being monogamous...

Exactly!
Ken

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users