Thank you, New York!

#61 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-01, 07:06

phil_20686, on 2011-June-30, 16:18, said:

A short summary:
(1) Life is about Service.
(2) Therefore relationships are about service.
(3) In general service rendered unto ones spouse will also be received in equal measure, whereas service unto ones children can never be repaid.
(4) Thus a relationship which rejects the having and bearing of children whether through contraception or because a relationship between two people of the same sex is incapable of it, represents an impoverished view of service.
(5) If this impoverishment is not accepted, and indeed, the concept of service to society as the basis for a meaningful life is rejected, the result will be much misery and societal suffering.

What I don't understand: Why do you want the state to enforce (4) with respect to gay couples, but not with respect to heterosexual couples? The only way to make your position consistent is to argue (among other things) for outlawing marital sex with contraception. Would you vote for such a law? For outlawing divorce?

In effect, you are asking the state to selectively enforce your view of marriage. It is hard to distinguish this selectivity from discrimination.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#62 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2011-July-01, 07:13

hrothgar, on 2011-June-30, 07:02, said:

As opposed to the prejudices of your church?

One of my favorite water cooler quotes ever.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#63 User is offline   olegru 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Play bridge, read bridge, discusse bridge.

Posted 2011-July-01, 07:21

helene_t, on 2011-July-01, 02:38, said:

What I can't understand is why anyone would be against that a same-sex couple who has chosen to live together ... have their relationship recognized by the law.

Completely agree with this sentence.
But problem is not all "relationship recognized by the law" should be called "marriage".
It is absolutely clear to me that same-sex people should be able to make some recognized by law relationships. But those relationships are not a marriage by definition of word "marriage".
What should be done is to work out new law form of relationships, respectable and recognizable with its own set of rights and duties inside the relationship and otside toward the rest of sociality. Just don’t call it marriage, because marriage is something different.

#64 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-01, 07:58

olegru, on 2011-July-01, 07:21, said:

Completely agree with this sentence.
But problem is not all "relationship recognized by the law" should be called "marriage".
It is absolutely clear to me that same-sex people should be able to make some recognized by law relationships. But those relationships are not a marriage by definition of word "marriage".
What should be done is to work out new law form of relationships, respectable and recognizable with its own set of rights and duties inside the relationship and otside toward the rest of sociality. Just don’t call it marriage, because marriage is something different.

The question, of course, is whether that "new law form of relationships" would include exactly the same "set of rights and duties inside the relationship and otside toward the rest of sociality" that marriage does. Some think it should, others disagree...

#65 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-01, 08:07

olegru, on 2011-July-01, 07:21, said:

Just don’t call it marriage, because marriage is something different.

Bbradley62, on 2011-July-01, 07:58, said:

The question, of course, is whether that "new law form of relationships" would include exactly the same "set of rights and duties inside the relationship and outside toward the rest of sociality" that marriage does. Some think it should, others disagree...

Quite. In the UK it is not called "marriage", it the applicable US states it apparently is. Assuming that the rights and duties are the same, what difference does it make whether it is called "marriage", "civil partnership" or "Sparky"?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#66 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-01, 08:11

If it gives exactly the same legal rights and duties then it is silly to give it a different name.

Maybe some individuals (and some churches) would say that civic union "means" something different than marriage even if it is legally the same, but I don't think that is a reason to call it differently in the lawbook. People can just use terms such as "church marriage" and "legal marriage" in contexts where the distinction is important.

Besides, there will always be religious communities that are at odds with the legal criteria. They may recognize polygamy or child marriage, or not recognize interracial marriage or marriage of previously divorced people. So that a gay couple can be legally married while not considered married by all religious authorities should not be a problem.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#67 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2011-July-01, 08:16

Vampyr, on 2011-July-01, 08:07, said:

Quite. In the UK it is not called "marriage", it the applicable US states it apparently is. Assuming that the rights and duties are the same, what difference does it make whether it is called "marriage", "civil partnership" or Sparky?

'Let me introduce you, this is my wife Shelly.'
'I am sorry, but please don't call each other "wife" and "husband". My religious beliefs don't recognize marriage between heterosexual couples that have decided not to procreate. Please don't take this as an insult, I completely support fully equal rights and duties for your partnership. But the terms "marriage", "wife" and "husband" should be reserved for marriage committed to the service of god."

A (by now fairly long) while ago, I also thought that there is no important difference between same-sex civil unions with equal rights and marriage. But why insist on calling it by a different name, if not for making a point that same-sex partnerships are not equal?

#68 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-July-01, 08:18

Not sure how long its been since the last time there was a Watercooler discussion about gay marriage...
(Few years, at least)

I don't think that my feelings have changed much at all

I would very much prefer to see near complete separate between church and state, meaning that:

1. Marriage should be a strictly religious sacrament; meaning that there is zero relationship between marriage and tax codes, inheritance rights, visitation rights, yada yada yada....

2. Marriage is defined by the relationship between a man, his wife, and their church. Or, alternatively, between a man, his wife, his wife, his wife, his concubine, his concubine, and their church. Or, even between a woman, her wife, their husband, a goat, and their ever evolving concept of the spiritual. I couldn't care less how the Catholic Church decides to define marriage. At the same time, the Catholics don't get any say in what labels some some other church - say a group of fundamentalist Mormans who believe in plural marriage - decide that they want to use the term "marriage". So what? Who cares?

However, so long as Federal laws and this "marriage" thing are interwoven, the government shouldn't be discriminating against individuals based on religious grounds.

I would certain prefer a situation in which the government exited, stage right...
However, I am a realist and I prefer incremental change to sweeping revision
Here, I prefer to to light a single candle than to curse the darkness...

I'm going to close with a somewhat amusing discussion from my last dinner party.

A Mormon and a Southern Baptist were trying to explain Christianity to a woman who was raised Hindu.
The Morman was explaining that all Christians believe in salvation through faith alone and the Baptist agreed.
I weighed in that this was patently wrong, using Catholicism as a counter example.
The Morman then explained that Catholics weren't Christians (and the Baptist agreed)
This lead to a 10 minute argument about who got to decide who was / was not a Christian culiminating in a rather heated argument when the Baptist start explaining that Mormans also aren't Christians.

To me, this is a near perfect example why laws and sacraments need to be kept separate and distinct...
Alderaan delenda est

#69 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-01, 08:37

Vampyr, on 2011-July-01, 05:56, said:

You raise a very interesting question: what is the "point" of discrimination? But usually there just isn't one. After all, I don't think the Catholic Church think that they can somehow transform the objects of their discrimination. After all, they hardly expect all women to suddenly turn into men.

One of the main points is that the couple which is not being discriminated against is *not* allowed to adopt children. The couple given all the same legal standing as any heterosexual couple *can* adopt children. If you think that they will corrupt children simply by showing them such a lifestyle, then I can understand you not wanting to give them the same legal standing.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#70 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2011-July-01, 08:41

Vampyr, on 2011-July-01, 08:07, said:

Quite. In the UK it is not called "marriage", it the applicable US states it apparently is. Assuming that the rights and duties are the same, what difference does it make whether it is called "marriage", "civil partnership" or "Sparky"?

In the US, it depends on which state you are in; some call it "marriage" and some don't.

helene_t, on 2011-July-01, 08:11, said:

If it gives exactly the same legal rights and duties then it is silly to give it a different name.

Maybe some individuals (and some churches) would say that civic union "means" something different then marriage even if it is legally the same, but I don't think that is a reason to call it differently in the lawbook. People can just use terms such as "church marriage" and "legal marriage" in contexts where the distinction is important.

cherdano, on 2011-July-01, 08:16, said:

A (by now fairly long) while ago, I also thought that there is no important difference between same-sex civil unions with equal rights and marriage. But why insist on calling it by a different name, if not for making a point that same-sex partnerships are not equal?

I hope my point of view doesn't come across as preferring to call it by a different name; as long as exactly the same rights, rules and responsibilities are attached, I don't at all care what it's called. My position is to offer and/or be agreeable to calling it by a different name if it means we can get it approved and move on.

#71 User is offline   olegru 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Play bridge, read bridge, discusse bridge.

Posted 2011-July-01, 09:32

helene_t, on 2011-July-01, 08:11, said:

But should it be exactly the same or something could be different?

I am not sure if (for example) right to adopt the child should be the same for "standard" or "non-standard" families.
Divorce procedure and sequences? Subsidies and taxation?

It is not clear for me what the man living with his permanent boyfriend in legal relationships should be entitle to the same set of rights and duties as a falily, but adolt man living with his old mother does not evenm if thet want so.

#72 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-July-01, 09:38

BunnyGo, on 2011-July-01, 08:37, said:

One of the main points is that the couple which is being discriminated against is *not* allowed to adopt children. The couple given all the same legal standing as any heterosexual couple *can* adopt children. If you think that they will corrupt children simply by showing them such a lifestyle, then I can understand you not wanting to give them the same legal standing.

Have changed your first sentence to what I think you meant!

The post to which you are referring was about discrimination by the Catholic Church, not by civil authorities.

One sad thing that has happened in the UK is that Catholic adoption agencies, due to their not wanting to corrupt children by showing them the lifestyle of being brought up by two loving, committed parents, have had to shut down. They have been denied public funds/tax-exempt status, etc because of their policies. It seems to me that this didn't have to happen, though -- surely people could adopt as single parents, and then the other partner could adopt the child once the Catholic agency is out of the picture. A work-around like this may seem to legitimise discrimination, but in a case like this it is the children who suffer, and maybe giving children a home could have been seen as a more important goal than eliminating a bit of childish posturing by Catholic agencies.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#73 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-July-01, 09:40

olegru, on 2011-July-01, 09:32, said:

It is not clear for me what the man living with his permanent boyfriend in legal relationships should be entitle to the same set of rights and duties as a falily, but adolt man living with his old mother does not evenm if thet want so.

The same could be said for a man living with his permanent wife.

#74 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-01, 10:27

Vampyr, on 2011-July-01, 09:38, said:

Have changed your first sentence to what I think you meant!

The post to which you are referring was about discrimination by the Catholic Church, not by civil authorities.

One sad thing that has happened in the UK is that Catholic adoption agencies, due to their not wanting to corrupt children by showing them the lifestyle of being brought up by two loving, committed parents, have had to shut down. They have been denied public funds/tax-exempt status, etc because of their policies. It seems to me that this didn't have to happen, though -- surely people could adopt as single parents, and then the other partner could adopt the child once the Catholic agency is out of the picture. A work-around like this may seem to legitimise discrimination, but in a case like this it is the children who suffer, and maybe giving children a home could have been seen as a more important goal than eliminating a bit of childish posturing by Catholic agencies.

Yes, thank you, the double negative got me!
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#75 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-01, 17:07

Vampyr, on 2011-July-01, 09:40, said:

The same could be said for a man living with his permanent wife.

I would think marriages with children are very different from marriages without, at least from the perspective of the state. If marital tax breaks were restricted to marriages with children, I would be fine with that, and so I think would a lot of other people.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#76 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2011-July-01, 17:21

phil_20686, on 2011-July-01, 17:07, said:

I would think marriages with children are very different from marriages without, at least from the perspective of the state. If marital tax breaks were restricted to marriages with children, I would be fine with that, and so I think would a lot of other people.

There should be tax breaks for child-rearing, whether that child-rearing is being done by married couples or single parents. So no, this is not a "one marriage is better than another marriage" scenario.

#77 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-01, 18:03

cherdano, on 2011-July-01, 07:06, said:

What I don't understand: Why do you want the state to enforce (4) with respect to gay couples, but not with respect to heterosexual couples? The only way to make your position consistent is to argue (among other things) for outlawing marital sex with contraception. Would you vote for such a law? For outlawing divorce?

In effect, you are asking the state to selectively enforce your view of marriage. It is hard to distinguish this selectivity from discrimination.

What you make legal helps to form societal expectations and stigmas. These expectations and stigmas are very important in moral formation. Let us take the example of promiscuity. Suppose that I and my friend both engaged in promiscuous activities while at university, and by some misfortune he caught a serious STD, then to my mind I would be partly responsible. After all, by taking part in that behaviour I have legitimised it. Had I been chaste, and advocated chastity, it would likely have had some effect on my friends behaviour. A similar argument holds for gambling and drug addiction. Everyone who gambles and takes drugs legitimises those activities, and by doing that they take on a portion of guilt for every person who is damaged by those activities.

Gay marriage legitimises a philosophical view of life that I believe to be very damaging. I do not think that the fact that the rise in individualism has coincided with legalisation of drugs and abortion. In an individual outlook, the fact that some people can gamble/use drugs/have promiscuous sex without ill effect is reason enough to legalise it, in a Christian outlook, the fact that some people are damaged by an activity is reason enough for me to deny it to myself by making it illegal. (Short version - I am my brothers keeper).

Life as service vs the cult of the individual is at the heart of the cultural wars. If we do not reject individualism it is only a matter of time before we legitimise euthanasia, and unfettered inequality. I believe that individualism has eroded society in areas as diverse as support for socialised medicine, to spawning the belief that the only duty of a CEO is to make money for his shareholders (Since shareholders=owners, this is only the recurring belief that owners bear no responsibility for the welfare and working conditions of their employees, and should instead squeeze wages as much as possible to increase profits).

I find it deeply ironic that extreme secularists see themselves as descended from the enlightenment and rationalist movements, when those philosophers believed almost to a man that the only way a democracy could function was if voters believed that their primary responsibility was to society and their fellow man rather than themselves, and even those who rejected Christianity as vehemently as Voltaire, believed that some form of public religion would be necessary to maintain that sentiment. (That's probably why so many of them were deists....).

Thus, I think that legal protections for marriage should be set up in such a way that they enhance the idea of marriage as a good for society, with duties that extend beyond the two persons involved. There is more than one way to do this. I actually think that restricting things like tax breaks for marriage to those marriages with children would be a positive step. On the other hand, I also have lots of sympathy for single parents, who often have very difficult lives. Perhaps the ideal would be most money on a child benefit type basis, with a transferable tax allowance for married couples with children aswell (eg, treat a household as a single entity with a single income, but tax bands twice as wide - I do not see why a family with one earner on 40k should be worse off than a household with two earners at 20k, when stay at home parents contribute so positively to society as a whole).

The issue of what to make illegal is complicated. Not everything that is immoral should be illegal, sometimes small evils must be tolerated to prevent greater abuses. I beleive swearing to be immoral, but an attempt to make it illegal would certainly bring grave suffering on society by stifling legitimate criticism and creating a dangerous apparatus of censorship. Among those who share my pro-life position and general Christian sentiments, opinion is divided on whether it would be correct to make contraception illegal even in ostensibly catholic countries, although I lean towards yes. But making the distribution of contraception illegal is different from making "sex with contraception" illegal, which is what the post suggested. I would certainly be against that.

I would certainly vote to end no fault divorce. And I think that is a no-brainer. Divorce should be difficult, available only to the suffers of serious abuse. Again, because I think that no fault divorce has encouraged people to slide into marriage without giving it due consideration. Among my acquantices it seems like many have fallen into relationships (virtually by accident), eventually moved in together, and eventually bought a house/got married, without every taking some time out to think about whether this is the right relationship, about what things need to change, about making a plan for kids and what kind of life they plan on building for themselves, and I think that this does a lot of damage. Marriage used to act as an enforced decision time, and I think that that is a very positive aspect of life long commitments. I strongly suspect that this is that having a "trial period" of living together before you get married makes you substantially more likely to get divorced. Its hard to say no after you have been living together and there has not been any disasters.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#78 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-July-01, 18:33

phil_20686, on 2011-July-01, 18:03, said:

Gay marriage legitimises a philosophical view of life that I believe to be very damaging.

In the rest of the post you do not hint at what is "damaging" about gay marriage.

I believe that individualism has eroded society in areas as diverse as support for socialised medicine,

This is probably true. Societies that accept some "socialism" have socialised medicine, and the cult of individualism in the United States (exclusively, I believe, among industrialised countries) has been instrumental in its rejection, with tragic circumstances for the US. I agree that this is a pity.

Thus, I think that legal protections for marriage should be set up in such a way that they enhance the idea of marriage as a good for society, with duties that extend beyond the two persons involved.

And this "good" is restricted to certain marriages, involving a specific combination of genders?

Among those who share my pro-life position and general Christian sentiments, opinion

Honestly, if these people are as serious nutcases as you, their opinions aren't worth much, are they?

is divided on whether it would be correct to make contraception illegal even in ostensibly catholic countries, although I lean towards yes.

"Catholic" countries don't contain 100% Catholics. Anyhow I have really been wondering whether you are serious, but thie contraception stuff, and the stuff about giving your friend an STD if you didn't tell him to stay home and pray instead of going out and doing foolish things, has me leaning toward the idea that you are taking the piss. Your parody of the Catholic position is good, but not as funny as the Monty Python video I attached earlier in the thread.

If, against all odds, you are actually serious about all this, I would advise you to stop posting. Your posts are very persuasive against the view that they profess.

#79 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2011-July-01, 19:33

Vampyr, on 2011-July-01, 18:33, said:

If, against all odds, you are actually serious about all this, I would advise you to stop posting. Your posts are very persuasive against the view that they profess.

Although I disagree with every one of Phil's religious beliefs, I think he expresses his positions honestly, clearly, and well. He doesn't duck questions and he stands his ground in the face of opposition. I like to read his posts.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#80 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2011-July-02, 03:58

I wonder what causes the correlation between religious belief/affiliation and the belief in the virtue of reproduction. The more religious people are the more children they get - this holds at the individual level as well as when comparing countries. And many religious authorities are opposed to abortion and birth control. If a politician, columnist or blogger argues for birth control because of a concern that the Earth is getting over-crowded, chances are that the argument is not based on religion.

Is it that the meme for birth control has been selected against during the evolution of religions because parents tend to pass on their religion to their children so it is good for the religion if followers have many children? Or do religious authorities encourage reproduction because of this concern?

Or is it just that religious beliefs and affiliation tend to go with old-fashioned views and lifestyles so that people with modern views such as being opposed to over-population and favoring careers for women tend not to be religious?

Or something else? Maybe it is easier if one turns the question around, and ask why non-religious people often do not consider reproduction a virtue. After all, humanity has been religious for most of its history and still largely is.

I have seen the explanation somewhere (might have been Denett or Diamond) that organized religion was invented in order to strengthen society, and therefore one of its functions was to encourage people to have more children so that the tribe would have more soldiers in the future. This makes some sense in the Amazon forest where large tribes tend to destroy smaller tribes, but I find it hard to believe that the link would still exist today if that was the only explanation.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users