• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Thank you, New York!

#101 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-05, 12:15

View Posthrothgar, on 2011-July-05, 04:50, said:

I don't object to any of this. I'd even go so far as to call it a good idea...
However, I wouldn't call this set of legal responsibilities a marriage (regardless of whether it is being issued to a man and a woman, two women, or three guys and a wombat)

I view this system as being significantly different from the existing standard here in the United States, both for heterosexuals and for homosexuals.
Part of the reason to chose an expression other than "marriage" is indicate that this is separate and distinct from what came before.

I understand that, and from your American perspective you see "religious" as before and "secular" as after. After all, christianity in the US is as old as the US itself, isn't it?

But marriages go back much longer than our modern religions. They were there first. Then they obtained a place within the various religions. And after that religions tried to make it look as if they owned the monopoly on marriage.

Native Americans did get married long before christianity reached the US, didn't they?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#102 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-05, 12:40

View Posthrothgar, on 2011-July-05, 04:50, said:

However, I wouldn't call this set of legal responsibilities a marriage (regardless of whether it is being issued to a man and a woman, two women, or three guys and a wombat)

In the Netherlands you have "Partnership contracts" and you have "registered partnership", both of which are light-weight marriage-like contracts. But you also have marriage, which is a concept that has been around for thousands of years and exists in all cultures. Which is in itself a big advantage. Foreign authorities know what it means. I think these alien concepts of "registered partnership" create some confusion. Foreign authorities, and even some locals maybe, could be confused about what it means. Are my "partner"'s children also my children, for example.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#103 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-05, 12:45

Religions are good at hijacking pre-existing customs. It is no coincidence that we celebrate Christmas on or around the winter solstice. Marriage originally existed in order to secure family land and property for generations of linear descent. Until, that it is, it became some kind of pandering to (a) God.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#104 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-07, 16:28

http://www.sfgate.co...FBALT1K72UL.DTL

#105 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2011-July-07, 19:54

View PostTrinidad, on 2011-July-05, 12:15, said:

Native Americans did get married long before christianity reached the US, didn't they?

Rik

Long before that, Abraham and Sarah were married, but I think Adam and Eve were just shackin'.

#106 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2011-July-07, 19:56

So, which jackass preacher will be the first to say this is punishment for that gay marriage thing?

http://www.cnycentra...sB29jk.facebook

#107 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2011-July-07, 23:42

View PostBbradley62, on 2011-July-07, 19:56, said:

So, which jackass preacher will be the first to say this is punishment for that gay marriage thing?

http://www.cnycentra...sB29jk.facebook

Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users