BBO Discussion Forums: Meaning of 2H? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Meaning of 2H?

Poll: Meaning of 2H? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Meaning of 2H?

1. Asking for heart stopper (10 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Showing heart fragment (18 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

3. Other (2 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-February-26, 18:38

I've read the detail, and it was indeed excruciating. But I can't find an answer to this question:

I said:

Of the hands that have "a strong holding in hearts" which would bid 2, and which would bid 2NT?

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#22 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-February-26, 19:48

View Postgnasher, on 2011-February-26, 13:25, said:

Sorry Ken, but I'm having trouble keeping up. Of the hands that have "a strong holding in hearts" which would bid 2, and which would bid 2NT?

I mean, this is a tad silly of a response, but it kind of boils down to that you bid 2NT with a strong holding in hearts if you want to suggest notrump as a viable strain because you have hearts well-stopped, whereas you would bid 2 with a strong holding in hearts when you are heading toward a suit strain even if partner (unexpectedly) bids 2NT.

Partner will not bid 2NT if you bid 2 unless he also has some help in hearts. So, you would never bid 2 as a means of trying to get to 2NT if you have hearts well-controlled.

However, suppose that you had a hand like Axxx-AKx-void-Kxxxxx. That's a powerful hand where you might in this sequence bid 2, perhaps planning on bidding 3 next. You might consider whether 3 as a splinter works on this hand, but that seems more like AQxx-Axx-x-Axxxxx. Focusing the hearts in this way might let partner recognize that a doubleton in spades, the heart Queen, and Ace-fourth in clubs (6 HCP) is HUGE. Clubs splitting 2-1 means an easy slam.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#23 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-February-28, 02:13

So if you had a 4315 shape with the values to invite game and hearts well controlled, would you bid 2H or 2NT?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#24 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2011-February-28, 07:34

View Postgnasher, on 2011-February-28, 02:13, said:

So if you had a 4315 shape with the values to invite game and hearts well controlled, would you bid 2H or 2NT?

Looks like 2NT to me.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#25 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-February-28, 08:28

Summarising, on game-invitational hands you bid:
- 2NT with a good heart holding
- 2 with a medium heart holding
- Something else with a weak heart holding, defaulting to 2 on awkward hands.

That actually sounds quite playable. It just seems strange to describe this 2 as "natural".

#26 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2011-February-28, 18:13

View Postgnasher, on 2011-February-28, 08:28, said:

Summarising, on game-invitational hands you bid:
- 2NT with a good heart holding
- 2 with a medium heart holding
- Something else with a weak heart holding, defaulting to 2 on awkward hands.

That actually sounds quite playable. It just seems strange to describe this 2 as "natural".

Right, almost. With game-forcing hands, or hands willing to force to 4, 2 could also be real hearts, and really good hearts at that. I also cannot imagine bidding 2 with a "weak" heart holding, unless that means Hx as opposed to xx perhaps being "no heart holding."

The description of "natural" is meant to distinguish a call that describes from a call that asks, if that makes any sense.

-P.J. Painter.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users