BBO Discussion Forums: Declarer play problem for a change - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Declarer play problem for a change

#1 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-February-25, 13:10

First trick:

5 4 K A

Plan at imps ?

#2 User is offline   dellache 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Children, family, job. Then a few minutes remain to play Bridge.<br>

Posted 2011-February-25, 14:03

The 3 bid is quite strange, and I suspect the Spades are 6-2. Anyway I don't see what I can do with that.
Main plan is to play another Spade and play a Diamond up to the King.
If South has the Ace, I can succeed only if (1) he keeps the Heart Guard (QJ9? or pard discards a "useless" Heart in 9xx?) and (2) I read the position correctly to triple squeeze him.
Anyhow, I'll play a Spade back, and decide what to do after cashing the clubs and one top Heart.
FD

#3 User is offline   wclass___ 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-25, 14:52

3 is a big bid in context of this bidding with that suit.

I will start with A followed by another . I suspect LHO will show out discarding spade.

Maybe he has Qxxxx QJxx AQJ x?

It is hard for me to assess with how much less if any he would bid 3.

But i think i am going to play J, his best defense would be to win and return big . I should win and play a low towards T. This lines makes if he has exactly that hand, RHO having 9xx. There are 4 shapes with LHO having QJ9x and 6 with QJxx.. but then again that 9 could add chance that he does bid 3.

But maybe he has Qxxxx Q9xx AQx x and simple finesse is needed. Hard to assess.
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..." --sathyab

#4 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-25, 14:59

Win, cross with a club and lead a diamond, covering whatever North plays. If spades are 6-2 I can make whenever North has either A or QJ of diamonds. This still retains the option of South coming under pressure if he has QJ9 of hearts but I wouldn't want to depend on that.

#5 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-February-26, 08:13

View Postwclass___, on 2011-February-25, 14:52, said:

But maybe he has Qxxxx Q9xx AQx x and simple finesse is needed. Hard to assess.

I suspect that is not going to be good enough. South wins the diamond queen and clears spades. They win 3 and 2.

The bidding is difficult to place in context. South has five or six spades to the Queen-nine at best. No club honor, and at most the QJ. So we can mark him with the diamond ACE and in all likelyhood the Q and probably the J. They are primed to win 3 and 2 if we play on diamonds. The best hope is the South has either any four hearts or specifically the heart QJ9 In that case, running all four clubs will lead to discard problems for him. After we play the first five tricks (A and QJAK, he needs to come down to 8 cards. He can not keep enough spades, hearts and diamonds among those eight cards to cause problems. If he discards a low heart (not the nine), he can't have held the QJ9 tripleton. If he discards QJ you know what to do. If he discards two low hearts and a low diamond, play him for four hearts initially and duck a heart. If he keeps a bunch of spades and discards one heart and only low diamonds, you still have to play him for 4 and duck a heart. If he discards nine of hearts and the Q, it is harder. Does he have QJ tight in hearts and still have AJ of diamonds? Or has he got stiff diamond Ace. Or was the nine a trick from Q9x, or QJ9x.

Anyway, run clubs and try to work it out.
--Ben--

#6 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-26, 14:04

Anyway, run clubs and try to work it out.

This is how I played. S discarded 2 and 8 of spades (making it clear he had 5 of them). What now ?

#7 User is offline   wclass___ 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-27, 09:51

So he didn't have singleton ? Wow.
Now you play to T.

I suspect that is not going to be good enough. South wins the diamond queen and clears spades. They win 3♠ and 2♦.

I examined only situation where LHO shows out in 2nd round of clubs discarding , so he can't get 3 anymore.
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..." --sathyab

#8 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-28, 05:32

Now you play ♦ to T.

This loses. It's how I played.
I think there is much better play which cater for more layouts and I think it's quite interesting position:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users