• You cannot reply to this topic

Play 6S

#1 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2011-February-25, 17:37

The auction isn't awesome, I was North here, and was at a bit of a loss as to how to bid this. We hadn't discussed exclusion and I didn't want to risk anything. My partner declared 6 on the 4 lead, the 8 came from dummy, 7 from RHO (Standard).

I'll give followups as needed, but plan the play.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-25, 19:10

Seems like a hand for our % calculators. But i think at the table, i would play for lefty to have the A rather than 4-3 and hope are 4-3 or 5-2 with 5 on my left or 5-2 with 2 on my left but he doesnt have 98 i guess. Trying to make 2+1+1+ 8 trumps x ruff.

Other line could be playing on suit, i am not sure which one is superior though. This line seems to erquire also 4-3 and 3-2 ....
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-25, 20:03

Leads?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#4 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2011-February-25, 23:28

4th best.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#5 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-25, 23:51

I think I'd just play low from hand, A, ruff , finesse Q, cash 3rd club and start the cross ruff.

If someone ruffs the clubs and returns a trump I still have some small chances of ruffing finesse in diamonds and short K hearts with the short trumps.

So I make when clubs are 4-3 (K assumed on side), and hearts are 4-3 or 5-2 onside. And I make occasionally when this isn't true.

#6 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-February-26, 13:57

Clubs look very much as if they are 5-2.

I can play for hearts 4-3 (or Kx or Jx) plus spades 3-2 by win the club, ace of hearts and a high ruff, queen of clubs (probably not covered), trump to dummy, heart ruff high, trump to dummy, draw the last trump, concede a heart. This line survives some nasty breaks such as 6-1 clubs if they take an early ruff with the long trump.

Alternatively I can try for Mr Ace's line; the problem is that I have to commit to this by ruffing a heart before starting on diamonds, which I hate. Ace of hearts and a low ruff, king of diamonds-ace-ruff (say), heart ruffed low, queen of diamonds, queen of clubs, diamond ruff low, high cross-ruff. The difficulty is that if the DA is wrong, they win and play a trump and I don't have the entries to set up the diamonds because I had to take an early heart ruff.

I feel the first line is better, but I'll let gnasher (i) work out the odds and (ii) come up with an even better line.

#7 User is offline   dellache 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Children, family, job. Then a few minutes remain to play Bridge.<br>

Posted 2011-February-27, 05:20

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2011-February-26, 13:57, said:

Clubs look very much as if they are 5-2.

I can play for hearts 4-3 (or Kx or Jx) plus spades 3-2 by win the club, ace of hearts and a high ruff, queen of clubs (probably not covered), trump to dummy, heart ruff high, trump to dummy, draw the last trump, concede a heart. This line survives some nasty breaks such as 6-1 clubs if they take an early ruff with the long trump.

This would also be my line.
You also survive with 4-1 Spades if someone has got KJ stiff, or Kxx (edited).
FD

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-February-28, 13:16

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2011-February-26, 13:57, said:

Alternatively I can try for Mr Ace's line; the problem is that I have to commit to this by ruffing a heart before starting on diamonds, which I hate. Ace of hearts and a low ruff, king of diamonds-ace-ruff (say), heart ruffed low, queen of diamonds, queen of clubs, diamond ruff low, high cross-ruff. The difficulty is that if the DA is wrong, they win and play a trump and I don't have the entries to set up the diamonds because I had to take an early heart ruff.

You dont need an early ruff :) I said i am trying to make 2+1.... Anyway, i do not need to duck dummy's 8 at first trick, i can take it in hand and play K right away.

Still i doubt that makes my line better.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   dellache 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Children, family, job. Then a few minutes remain to play Bridge.<br>

Posted 2011-February-28, 14:33

View PostMrAce, on 2011-February-28, 13:16, said:

You dont need an early ruff :) I said i am trying to make 2+1.... Anyway, i do not need to duck dummy's 8 at first trick, i can take it in hand and play K right away.

Still i doubt that makes my line better.

I think we may try to show that the "Diamond line" is inferior to the "Heart line" this way :

- if you take the Jack of clubs at trick 1 and run the King, you go down if East takes this (he returns a Spade) ;
HENCE the Diamond line needs Ace at least in West's Hand (42% using vacant places : West has 5+ Clubs) + nothing nasty in / ;
HENCE Diamond line is inferior to 40%.

- the Heart line works everytime Hearts and Spades behave (that's also around 42% using basic calculation) and also works with some 4-1 and 5-2 breaks in the Majors.
HENCE Heart line is clearly superior to 40% (probably superior to 50%).

Those are really vague approximations, but imo it shows that it's certainly better to ruff a Heart at trick 2.
FD

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-February-28, 19:48

View Postdellache, on 2011-February-28, 14:33, said:

- if you take the Jack of clubs at trick 1 and run the King, you go down if East takes this (he returns a Spade) ;

As i said in my first post, playing on can be better and i believe your calculations. But i can still survive if lose to A with KJx Kxx KJ

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users