BBO Discussion Forums: New suit on the 2-level after overcall - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New suit on the 2-level after overcall What is standard near you?

#1 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2010-December-01, 11:25

I am wondering how people play sequences like:

(1) 1 (p) 2

and

(1) 2 (p) 2

Is this forcing or not?
What would a jump in a new suit (3-level) be? Natural and (non)forcing, i.e. the other hand, or a fitjump?

Note that I chose two sequences that are not Rubens transfer sequences.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#2 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2010-December-01, 11:46

I play them as forcing and I don't know anyone who doesn't. I'm not stating that to imply that 'no-one plays them non-forcing'...only as a statement that in my relatively limited world, the forcing meaning seems universal.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-01, 11:52

I've seen either forcing or non-forcing constructive around here. Personally I prefer the non-forcing treatment for the first example, since one-level overcalls can be pretty lousy and there are a lot of hands where you'd want to respond in case partner has a maximum but have no real interest in getting higher opposite some random 8-count with decent hearts. I prefer the second example forcing because a two-level overcall promises real values (and a bit narrower range) for me than the one-level bid.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#4 User is offline   skjaeran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2010-December-01, 12:01

Both would be forcing for me.
Kind regards,
Harald

#5 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-01, 12:07

I play them as constructive but not forcing. To force, one has first to cue-bid.

At the one-level and the three-level I'd play them as forcing.

A jump in a new suit would be a fit-bid.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2010-December-01, 13:30

I would normally assume forcing. I recently played with someone who wanted them to be non-forcing, about 8-11. I wanted to play Robson-Segal. We noticed that this is not really compatible, as there are no forcing bids without a fit left. I would be very happy if someone could propose a solution for this problem, until then I'll prefer forcing. ;)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2010-December-01, 16:00

yes forcing, definitively _ unless a passed hand

2 can be a 4card
2 is 5 card

a jump in that position is a weak 5 card, prempt and competitive
Bob Herreman

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-December-01, 16:17

I've played them forcing for years and found myself passing with good 6 card suits and 7 counts. More recently, I've been playing a jump shift in response to an overcall if 3rd chair does not bid as a good hand but NF, although over a 2 level overcall they can sensibly be used as forcing. This assumes we are at the 3 level and not higher. Playing this way, I think you can play NF or NF/constructive much more comfortably.

Fit jumps are fine, but they are more valuable in competitive auctions. When 3rd chair passes, there is a good chance its our hand.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-01, 17:44

The second one is forcing for me, but my 2 over 1 overcalls are really sound.

The first one I play as non forcing, but my definition is "forcing unless you overcalled with crap". Because it is not totally forcing, 3 is now forcing.

About what is standard aroudn me, I think 98% players don't even know. But they will pass the second one often.

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-01, 18:29

Non-forcing constructive, for me. I agree with Fluffy, I think a lot of players around here haven't actually thought about it.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2010-December-01, 19:11

I play new suits as forcing and jump new suits as fit. I'm sure that fit jumps are right, and I'm sure that opposite a two-level overcall new suits should be forcing.

Facing a one-level overcall, I think there's a good case for playing new suits as non-forcing. You almost never have a hand that wants to insist on game opposite a simple overcall. If I did have such a hand, I could live with having to guess which game to play in, treat a doubleton as support, or risk a non-forcing new-suit bid.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#12 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2010-December-01, 20:57

NF constructive for me.

I can't recall a partner who explicitly discussed the difference between these two sequences (after a 1-level overcall vs. after a 2-level overcall), incidentally -- in the case of your first auction, NFC has been nearly universal when I've filled out a card at a partnership desk.

With my regular partner the jump shift is a fit bid, but I wouldn't assume that without discussion.

#13 User is offline   andy_h 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2010-December-01, 21:07

I play 1/1 is forcing, 2/1 is NF but constructive, 2/2 etc are forcing. Although I'm starting to like 3/1 as forcing when 3rd hand has passed since it's very useful when it comes up and doesn't create awkward auctions if I have to start with a cue-bid with LHO bidding again. It just means I'm giving up FSJ when I can just put those hands in one of my raises.
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.

#14 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2010-December-02, 07:21

NF, but NF does not mean crap.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#15 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2010-December-02, 07:32

I have always played (1) 1 (p) 2 as non-forcing. The 1 shows some spades and some values, the 2 shows a hand that is more or less worthy of a 2 bid even if partner had not come in. Such hands come up fairly often and I would not want to give up this natural meaning.

By default, I treat (1) 2 (p) 2 as non-forcing and this seems to be the way it is usually intended. I am far from certain that this is best. I think that somewhere in Mike Lawrence's Complete Book of Overcalls (and I believe he has an update that I haven't bought) he prefers forcing but accepts that most people play it as non-forcing. Maybe I'll get the update for myself as a Christmas present.
Ken

#16 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2010-December-02, 07:44

I play both as NF and the jump is forcing. Playing the first auction as forcing strikes me as odd unless you play sound overcalls.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#17 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2010-December-02, 07:47

View Postmgoetze, on 2010-December-01, 13:30, said:

I would normally assume forcing. I recently played with someone who wanted them to be non-forcing, about 8-11. I wanted to play Robson-Segal. We noticed that this is not really compatible, as there are no forcing bids without a fit left. I would be very happy if someone could propose a solution for this problem, until then I'll prefer forcing. ;)

Proposed solution: don't play Robson Segal.

I think that the bridgematters website has a nice interview with Eric Rodwell. I couldn't say it any better than he did.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#18 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-04, 09:57

View Posthan, on 2010-December-02, 07:47, said:

Thanks Han, that sure helped. ;)

Anyway, I understand from your other post that you forgo fit jumps in these auctions. How do you define 2NT?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#19 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-04, 15:05

For me it's definitely forcing if I haven't passed. I have no other method of making a forcing bid, as a cue bid would be a transfer.

For others around here I think it is a mixture of all three - forcing, non-forcing, and no agreement. Just recently the opponents' bidding stopped in a making partscore, with a good fit and game values, because responder thought it was forcing and opener didn't. Unfortunately for me, the game unavoidably goes off with wasted values, finesses wrong.

#20 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-05, 16:46

View Posthan, on 2010-December-02, 07:47, said:

I think that the bridgematters website has a nice interview with Eric Rodwell. I couldn't say it any better than he did.

Well, I reread the interview (it's been a year or so), but I don't feel enlightened.

BridgeMatters: Negative Free Bids in competitive auctions—do you like them in standard or just with a strong club base?

Eric Rodwell: It is something that I only play with a couple of partners. It is difficult to play because you have a lot of trouble clarifying the better hands. If you just put everything in an omnibus multi-meaning negative double, and then have the eventual three level jump raise by the opponents, you are just going to have terrible trouble sorting it out. Playing standard, I definitely don’t like them. I just want to be able to make my forcing free bid. The only time I play them is playing a strong club system where my partner’s hand is limited. As for . . . Negative Free Bids, I recommend not using them.

So basically I should only play NFBs in conjunction with a strong club or the like. But what are the ". . ." NFBs he recommends not using?
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users