BBO Discussion Forums: New suit on the 2-level after overcall - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New suit on the 2-level after overcall What is standard near you?

#21 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-December-05, 18:41

He's recommending against NFBs after we open and an overcall. e.g.....
1D (1S) 2C should be forcing

He isn't talking about auctions after opponents open. E.g...
1D (1S) P (2C)

I'm guessing his reason for liking NFBs after a strong club is that we have a lot of interest being in the auction but need to start finding fits before we get preempted out of them.. In any case, he has the ability to show suits in forcing and nf ways against low level interference.

#22 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-08, 00:17

In my experience, negative free bids work really well when opener has a weak notrump and not so well otherwise.

In a strong club system with moderately strong notrump (i.e. what Meckwell play), the 1 opening is extremely often a weak notrump. This frequency is much higher than for either 1m bid in a standard system, because you exclude the strong hands (16+ would open 1) and because you include all weak notrumps regardless of minor suit distribution. Perhaps in a standard-ish system where 1 is unbalanced and all weak notrumps open 1 you get close enough to the same frequency to make NFB worthwhile. Also if you play Polish club, you almost have to play negative free bids after 1-(interference), which again works out okay because 1 is so often a weak notrump.

Personally I prefer transfer free bids opposite these kinds of openings, for much the same reason (I think transfer free bids are slightly better than NFB in general).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#23 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-08, 03:01

I played both FORCING and NF but Constructive with different partners. The best solution imo is to play transfer responses to partner's overcall. it gives much more flexibility to both overcaller and responder.

This also works when we open and they overcall. I see more and more top players in BBO vugraph playing it.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#24 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-15, 00:00

View Postmikeh, on 2010-December-01, 11:46, said:

I play them as forcing and I don't know anyone who doesn't. I'm not stating that to imply that 'no-one plays them non-forcing'...only as a statement that in my relatively limited world, the forcing meaning seems universal.

Indeed it does mostly seem a statement about the limited nature of your world - non-forcing is Bridge World Standard.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#25 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-15, 00:23

View Postmikeh, on 2010-December-01, 11:46, said:

I play them as forcing and I don't know anyone who doesn't.

Hi

#26 User is offline   inderdeed 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-December-15, 04:17

I play NF.

#27 User is offline   Flameous 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:How to find out shape below 2NT.

Posted 2010-December-15, 07:00

NF
Our structure is a tweak from Ambra and is sort of extended Rubens advances. So we have transfers starting from 2 here and lower bids are NF. Transfers to a new suit show invitational+ 6 card suit. (about 13+ points)

Free bids thus show about 10-15 and five card suit or 8-12 6 card suit.

GF hands with 5 card suit are a bit problematic but there are always ways around them.

We have this same transfers theme going through whole system in various places and it's pretty nice.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users