• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

BBO Web-Client Thread 9

#21 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-December-26, 09:45

1eyedjack, on Dec 26 2009, 11:08 AM, said:

How impractical would it be for the server to keep a record of the tables on display to each logged-in user at any instant?

Unfortunately it would not be practical at all.

We are working on some alternatives that may make this unnecessary.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#22 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-26, 09:49

1eyedjack, on Dec 26 2009, 11:28 AM, said:

Very small point, but I would prefer it if the screen refreshed dynamically as you drag the scroll bar. Under the current config the screen is frozen during the process of dragging and then refreshes when you release the scroll bar. Trouble with that method is that you have to guess whether you have scrolled to the right point.

This proposal probably involves a bit more net traffic, as it would require the client to download the entire table list or whatever, including those not currently on display, when in the current method it presumably re-downloads the list in context of the position of the scroll bar.

As an end user I know which way I would prefer it, is all.

This is actually not about network traffic at all. When you request a list of tables, the entire list is loaded before any of the list is displayed.

The reason that we have disabled "live-scrolling" of some lists is because of performance issues relating to drawing the actual lists on the screen (especially with large lists on slow PCs). Unfortuantely Flash is weak in this area, but Adobe is aware of this problem and hopefully they will address it at some point.

As soon as it is realistically possible to do something about this I will make it so.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#23 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-26, 09:56

1eyedjack, on Dec 26 2009, 12:13 PM, said:

I find the current procedure for saving hands locally when using the web client very frustrating. Are there any plans to make this easier? I appreciate that Flash prevents you doing this in real time, but there is a roundabout way of doing it in arrears, by going to MyHands and clicking on the Lin version. I guess I am asking if we can cut out the "roundabout". For example, when in the web version, clicking on Options when viewing a file provides a handviewer link, but this link only takes you to a "movie" version, it does not take you to the "Lin" version. Only the latter option gives you the option to save it locally. This means that if you want to save a hand locally you have to manually navigate to the approprate MyHands page, and it would be nice to have that as a direct link from the web client.

Perhaps another desirable option, if feasible, would be within the Export options to include "send Lin by email to [prompt for email address]" Is that barred by Flash?

Ideally I would like to be able to instruct the server to save locally (by email if necessary) a single lin file that contains an entire session of play. Currently I do not think that this feature is available even by saving files to the server. Yes you can get there by MyHands, but it involves a lot of mouseclicking.

Is the source of your frustration the user interface that allows you to save hands in the database or is it all about your inability to get a local copy of a .lin file directly through the web-client? If this is about the user interface, let me know what frustrates you as I may be able to improve it.

Although we don't have any definite plans to do any of these things, we have discussed concepts like:

- Allowing users to upload existing .lin files to their own "hand database" in the web-client (from where they can later upload those hands to teaching tables, tournaments, or team matches).

- Providing a service whereby users can sign up to have their results automatically e-mails to them. It would be trivial to include links for downloading .lin files in such e-mails.

Probably both of these things will happen - it is just a question of when.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#24 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-26, 10:04

barmar, on Dec 23 2009, 05:08 PM, said:

Do you think you could have the "About BBO" box display the version number of the client? This is where most applications display their version number.

In principle, of course we could do that.

But why do you think a user would care about the version number of the client they are using? We arrange so that everyone automatically gets the latest version.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#25 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-26, 10:08

A2003, on Dec 23 2009, 03:36 PM, said:

Keyboard option is preferable than moving the mouse to a specific location to go to "Back" and click.
Takes more time and mouse is quicker, jumping and annoying.
"Esc" Keyboard should do "Back" function.

Unfortunately keyboard support is really awkward for web-applications in general. This is mostly because of interaction with the browser. The browser is really in control of the keyboard and different browsers have different rules for what they will do with various keystrokes.

That is why, at this point in time at least, we can't realistically add "hotkey" support to the web-client. If and when this state of affairs changes, we will certainly do something about it.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#26 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-27, 03:53

fred, on Dec 26 2009, 05:04 PM, said:

Do you think you could have the "About BBO" box display the version number of the client? This is where most applications display their version number.

But why do you think a user would care about the version number of the client they are using? We arrange so that everyone automatically gets the latest version.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

If a user does not habitually trawl the BBO forums, but the version number is displayed in the title bar, then seeing the version number incrementally rise from one session to the next might prompt the player to investigate what changes have been made and raise awareness of the software's potential - especially if there is a web page that documents history of changes by version number.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#27 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-December-27, 15:17

fred, on Dec 26 2009, 11:04 AM, said:

When a new version comes out, the announcement says you should get it automatically, which sounds like you might not. An about-box would allow users to confirm that it's updated properly.

#28 User is offline   geppe 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-January-01, 08:40

I was trying to create a team match as usually I make with the windows client, but i can't find that option in the web client - is it not yet implemented? or I am missing something?

I wish also know how can I be allowed to propose pairs tournaments for specific groups of persons.

Thank you very much for your work!

geppe

#29 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2010-January-01, 10:41

geppe, on Jan 1 2010, 02:40 PM, said:

I was trying to create a team match as usually I make with the windows client, but i can't find that option in the web client - is it not yet implemented? or I am missing something?

From the home page:

Show all tables -> Team Matches -> Start a new Team Match
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#30 User is offline   geppe 

• PipPip

Posted 2010-January-02, 10:27

many thanks for your answer!

#31 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2010-January-02, 11:30

geppe, on Jan 1 2010, 02:40 PM, said:

I wish also know how can I be allowed to propose pairs tournaments for specific groups of persons.

This is more difficult with the web client as it cannot access lists on your computer.

If you have TD privileges, then you can create a tournament by clicking on the Director tab on the very right of the home page (alongside Who's Online and My Results).

The Entries tab of the Create Tournament screen provides the capability to restrict tournament entry.

Hope this helps,

Paul
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#32 User is offline   eleanorsf 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-January-02, 15:34

The Club chat button is only available intermittently. Actually have seen it only once.

Please make an announcement of the new software releases in the BBO Today section. very helpful to those who don't read Forum.

Thanks for the improvements Fred, they are much appreciated.

#33 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-02, 15:42

eleanorsf, on Jan 2 2010, 09:34 PM, said:

The Club chat button is only available intermittently. Actually have seen it only once.

The current version has a bug in this area. It will be fixed in the next version.

Please make an announcement of the new software releases in the BBO Today section. very helpful to those who don't read Forum.

Good idea - thanks. I will see what I can do.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#34 User is offline   Ant590 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-January-03, 08:36

When playing in the MBC it seems the scores for the previous boards (on the "My Results" section on the right side of the screen) are very reluctant to refresh. I have to click on a board and then other tables for the score to update.

Is it possible to automatically refresh the scores per board more frequently, as is done with the current score box on the bottom left of the playing area?

#35 User is offline   geppe 

• PipPip

Posted 2010-January-04, 05:12

cardsharp, on Jan 2 2010, 12:30 PM, said:

If you have TD privileges, then you can create a tournament [...]

Thanks Paul!
thanks to your answer, now I can clarify my question: how can I have TD privileges? which are the conditions?
(maybe I have to post this question in another forum... sorry if misplaced)

geppe

#36 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2010-January-04, 05:38

geppe, on Jan 4 2010, 11:12 AM, said:

cardsharp, on Jan 2 2010, 12:30 PM, said:

If you have TD privileges, then you can create a tournament [...]

Thanks Paul!
thanks to your answer, now I can clarify my question: how can I have TD privileges? which are the conditions?
(maybe I have to post this question in another forum... sorry if misplaced)

geppe

You must be a character of good standing and then convince uday that you will remain such a person when you run tournaments :)

Email uday at bridgebase dot com to request the privilege.

(EDIT BY UDAY) No, a thousand times no :) -- email support@bridgebase.com

Paul
The Beer Card

#37 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-January-05, 10:06

Saw something weird last night while kibbitzing the Cayne team game. When Jimmy's table finished board 25, it displayed the IMP score in the results area, but didn't display the contract. All the boards before and after displayed properly.

#38 User is offline   stresp 

• Pip

Posted 2010-January-06, 10:16

I still can´t find any way to adjust GiB playing speed in the web client. Will this come?

Svein

#39 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-January-06, 11:01

stresp, on Jan 6 2010, 04:16 PM, said:

I still can´t find any way to adjust GiB playing speed in the web client. Will this come?

Svein

Currently we have no plans to implement this. If I had to guess I would say that I expect it to happen one day but that I would be somewhat surprised if it were to happen in 2010.

The main issue here is cost. Would you be willing to pay more than $1 per week to play with a stronger version of GIB? If we thought that a lot of users would answer "yes" to this question, it might speed up our development in this area. If not we will have to wait until the cost of running GIBs goes down.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#40 User is offline   stresp 

• Pip

Posted 2010-January-07, 11:53

fred, on Jan 6 2010, 12:01 PM, said:

stresp, on Jan 6 2010, 04:16 PM, said:

Svein

Currently we have no plans to implement this. If I had to guess I would say that I expect it to happen one day but that I would be somewhat surprised if it were to happen in 2010.

The main issue here is cost. Would you be willing to pay more than $1 per week to play with a stronger version of GIB? If we thought that a lot of users would answer "yes" to this question, it might speed up our development in this area. If not we will have to wait until the cost of running GIBs goes down.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

I would be willing to pay severak times more, but I have no idea what others would be willing to pay.

From my point of view, GiB is of absolutely no use as is. At about 70-75%, it starts to get useful.

After all, GiB is one of the few things that costs anything on BBO, so I feel that the cost argument is a bit strange? I borrowed a windows PC in order to buy a half year subscription of GiB - just to find out that my subscription was useless:(

Svein

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users